Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mo
So it was working with the DX3R pro before resetting parameters? If so, try switching to a different model and starting over. You will have to rebind the receiver for it to work on a different model. Are you using the receiver that came with the DX3R pro or an older one?
yea it was working with dx3r pro before. i reset the parameter. as soon as i was done resetting, the servo and esc went crazy. all lights in esc started blinking and servo went twitching and locked.
then i tried to go to model 17 in my radio (completely new and never used model ). i re-bound the receiver .. same result. its sr3500 micro receiver. i have used many many sr3500 and sr3520 with dx3r pro.. about 14. no problems. only problem now (with rx8)...

thats when i tried to bind with old dx3s and works flawlessly
Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by neupane00
yea it was working with dx3r pro before. i reset the parameter. as soon as i was done resetting, the servo and esc went crazy. all lights in esc started blinking and servo went twitching and locked.
then i tried to go to model 17 in my radio (completely new and never used model ). i re-bound the receiver .. same result. its sr3500 micro receiver. i have used many many sr3500 and sr3520 with dx3r pro.. about 14. no problems. only problem now (with rx8)...

thats when i tried to bind with old dx3s and works flawlessly
If all the LEDs on the RX8 were flashing, that means it is not seeing a radio signal. Couple that with your steering servo freaking out, I would say it's either the servo browning out the receiver or your receiver is bad.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by JayL
Randy: hook me up with some setup, please. SpeedWorld and LSR for new sc10 4x4 with RX8 and SC4X 4.5T, any place to start would help. I have full hotwire etc. Remember I asked you during the SWR enduro on the drivers stand about the SC10 4x4 and I blocked you the whole race
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
It was you!? lol

I'm basically running what Ryan Lutz has on his setup. The SC10 is very close gearing wise to the durango. But LSR is tight right now on the layout so for the sC10 try a 13T.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...sc410r_4-5.pdf

Just ran at LSR. I used a 13t pinion, 62 spur. motor temps 110-120 6 mins
forgot to temp esc

it feels kinda flat to ok at the bottom and middle then comes on like crazy at the top, kind of like a positive expo throttle map
running throttle profile 3
not running any timing in the esc setup
would a gear change flatten it some?
it was very smooth and easy to drive, I won every round and the main
Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well if you won I'd leave it! lol

But your motor temps say you can gear up so I'd try it.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I will try a gear up, I can always go back

thanks!
And thanks for the radio troubleshoot of my bad servo as well
Old 05-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Rookie

First time posting ever so if i screwed this up sorry. I sent an rx8 out for service a while ago and got it back a few weeks ago. I just wired it up today and as soon as i turned it on it started to smoke. I quickly tuned it off and checked everything. Nothing seems to be wrong with wiring, batteries, etc. I tried turning it on again and i'm getting lights that indicate wrong motor type. when i try to change it i get over temp lights but its NEVER been run now or ever. Any ideas? curious if this is a common problem with Tekin? I figured they would have tested it somehow before sending it back to me but i would have to think that an issue like that would have been caught. Not sure what to do now other than email support again.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default RX8 lipo cut off

I have a problem, hoping someone can help me out.

Me and my 2 nephews run RC8Be's with Tekin RX8's and 1900kv motors. I have stock gearing on the nephews buggies.
One of my nephews has run 3 lipos under 3.0 on the #1 cell. I have the lipo cutoff set to 3.6v.
When my nephew brought the buggy to the pit it read
#1 - 2.81
#2 - 3.61
#3 - 3.62
#4 - 3.60

It was nearly identical on all 3 of the lipos that were run low. 2 of the lipos were older soft packs, but the latest lipo that went down was a reedy 5000mah 40c that is less then 6 months old abd has had maybe 20 charges on it.

I read in this thread that when the battery hits the lipo cutoff mark, the Esc 'stops' working for 10 seconds then it runs as normal.
I'm trying to find out if that's true or not. And if there's anyway to get a 'hard stop' on the Esc, ie., the Esc stops and doesn't work again until a new battery is put in.

If anyone can set me straight, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Justin
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Justin Bolin
I have a problem, hoping someone can help me out.

Me and my 2 nephews run RC8Be's with Tekin RX8's and 1900kv motors. I have stock gearing on the nephews buggies.
One of my nephews has run 3 lipos under 3.0 on the #1 cell. I have the lipo cutoff set to 3.6v.
When my nephew brought the buggy to the pit it read
#1 - 2.81
#2 - 3.61
#3 - 3.62
#4 - 3.60

It was nearly identical on all 3 of the lipos that were run low. 2 of the lipos were older soft packs, but the latest lipo that went down was a reedy 5000mah 40c that is less then 6 months old abd has had maybe 20 charges on it.

I read in this thread that when the battery hits the lipo cutoff mark, the Esc 'stops' working for 10 seconds then it runs as normal.
I'm trying to find out if that's true or not. And if there's anyway to get a 'hard stop' on the Esc, ie., the Esc stops and doesn't work again until a new battery is put in.

If anyone can set me straight, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Justin
So you are setting the custom lipo cutoff to 3.6 volts? If that is the case there is your problem. The custom cutoff is not a "per cell" value. For a 4s pack you would need to set the cutoff voltage to 14.4 volts.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought it was a per cell value. I didn't even think of that.
Thank you so much.

Now I can go let me nephew run his RC8Be with that RX8 I bought off you without worrying about it.

Thanks a million,

KRIO
Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Stevo609
First time posting ever so if i screwed this up sorry. I sent an rx8 out for service a while ago and got it back a few weeks ago. I just wired it up today and as soon as i turned it on it started to smoke. I quickly tuned it off and checked everything. Nothing seems to be wrong with wiring, batteries, etc. I tried turning it on again and i'm getting lights that indicate wrong motor type. when i try to change it i get over temp lights but its NEVER been run now or ever. Any ideas? curious if this is a common problem with Tekin? I figured they would have tested it somehow before sending it back to me but i would have to think that an issue like that would have been caught. Not sure what to do now other than email support again.
Of course it was tested before it was sent to you, all esc's leaving the "house" are tested.

Yes contact [email protected] or hit us up on live chat.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 172 (100%+)

How long does it usually take to get a rx8 repaired ?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by kwilke
How long does it usually take to get a rx8 repaired ?
About a week plus shipping time.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I loved my RX8 and 2000 kv . but this is my story. good luck to all that purchase one.
1-24-2011. got a new losi 1/8 2.0 E car, after being out of racing for 25 yrs, I got this set up, as I was thinking and reading that this would be the best. I ran the car, after a week of building, on the second lap it quit running. went on line and found out the unit was bad. (new car) bummer for me right a couple of weeks later. and 18.00 for postage...I get the parts back. runs great, but when they fixed it, they stripped out the case screws, the case split and the board cracked, it went head on in to another car. also at the same time frying out my new receiver. sent the unit in for repair, again. one part to horizon one to tekin. it cost me 20.00 to get the radio repaired. plus shipping, cool no big deal whats 20.00 bucks right ! they sent me a new case and charged me for postage and parts, I called , they said they didn't get the purchase paper work and didn't think it was warranty work. got the unit back in the mail and the paper work that they say wasn't there was.. any way.got that fixed and they credited my account. cool got it back and I went racing. came in 2nd and 3rd behind truggies for a month and a half I had some fun. I traveled to Bend Oregon from Arizona and in April came in 2nd in the HDRC races. one race per month. not to much going on here in Oregon. any way. next race 400 miles south and ran two batteries of practice the 1st round heat race. came in 3rd. I need to learn how to drive. trying to catch truggies suck. but not to many electric cars up here. they all have nitro cars.. going in to 2nd heat race my car locks up like some big rock got in the gears or something. I take the car back to the table and no rocks .. The motor came apart and the magnets are all messed up. no spare no one open has parts. all need to be ordered ,, take a week to get.. so I pack up and head home another 400 miles. call Tekin they say Geeeee I wonder whats wrong.. send it in ....another 20.00 shipping 300.00 in fuel to race and not being able to even start the main PRICELESS..
I think I got a lemon. but, the thing runs like a rapped ape when its running.
NOW if I could just keep the thing running.. do I need to buy three units to stay and play or WHAT ? so I guess I am saying (NO I CANT) they would ban me if I really told you how I felt..
Old 05-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Team Tekin

I honestly don't think any response to your paragraph will make you feel better.

It appears you had some issues and they were corrected. $20 to ship back service seems excessive unless you live in Canada. I'm going to chalk that figure up to exaggeration.

You're racing toy cars. Stuff brakes. If you broke an axle or a CVD bone would you throw a fit to the car manufacturer simply because it broke and nobody had the part? No.

Yes, some items are best backed up with spares. Servos, receivers, motors, and yes sometimes esc's. Motors require maintenance, they don't service themselves. Contrary to popular belief they do need to be checked out now and then.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I get charged a $7 handling fee and they list priority mail shipping back at $8-$14 on the RA form and $20 for expedited.
They've always shipped my items back in a small priority mail box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.