Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leisure Hours Raceway Joliet IL

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If weather actually looked like it will be warm and doesn't rain Sat. I may head out this way. I'm free this Sunday and just need to decide whether to go indoors or out.

1/8 Electric :P
Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think I am out....wife birthday. Or I can offer myself NOT being at home so she doesn't need to see me again on her B-day...what is the chance?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Track Layout change

Scott called me and said they will be changing the onroad track for sunday.
I will be their sunday. Hopefully we can get enough.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up change

A track change is almost always an extra incentive to race. I'm in. Sedan and GT
Old 09-28-2006, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

What are the track hours for off road and on road? Where can I find the home page? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Their site is kept pretty much up to date: http://www.leisurehoursraceway.com/

Their daily schedule is along the left side margin of their home page.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Bernie (Leisure Hours track manager) just asked me (via e-mail) to post here letting everyone know that he is reading this forum, and taking everyone's considerations. The only reason he has not responded himself is because he is having technical difficulties preventing his posts from showing up.

Perhaps there is a moderator that can assist him?

He also told me over the weekend that nothing is set in stone yet, and there is no truth to the rumor that on-road will only be on Saturday. That's not to say that this won't be a decision they could make in the future, but for now, he's planning on running both on-road and off-road together on Sundays.

Apart from the 'what day should they race' discussion, if any of you have opinions on whether the track should be a single, non-configurable, permanent layout (think Cincinatti track) or completely configurable (think boards, like it is now) or something inbetween (think islands with many options for going around), now is the time to make those opinions heard also.

I'm a fan of a permanent track (with islands/curbs) but with at least several different layout combinations possible. If it were my track, I think I'd change the layout once per month, with the 'final' race on each layout being a special 'trophy race', then move on to a new layout to master.

I think this is a good compromise between allowing traction to build up and give plenty of time to really tune a car into a particular track, but still also change the layout occassionally to keep it interesting.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Since he's asking...

I'd say some type of permanent track with layout options. It just looks more professional.

For new drivers and people interested in R/C they would be more impressed with that type of track then just seeing a bunch of 2x4's all over the place.

--
Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Permanent layout definitely not going to get my vote....yes, a permanent track is already a big plus in IL, however, if we can create more OPTION for this new piece of land....why limit it? Permanent track might looks good, but I just don't think it is fun for a long shot....especially this track can be use for 1/10th and 1/8th....talking about 2 groups of ppl that has their own opinion about how wide and how long of the track suppose to be...

With this new piece of land from Leisure, I think Bernine must consider hosting the yearly MWS and or Byron race (may be RC Pro series again) and with the options to change the layout, the chance of them winning the bid for hosting these major mid-west race is defintiely higher...

I just want to see more technical infield area....even the track will ended up short, slower....still better then running several long straights with couple 180 turns and call it a lap...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, Bernie didn't necessarily 'ask' about the layout question, but I know that there is a vocal minority (I think its a minority) that wants both the Saturday on-road only races AND a single, permanent layout like Cincinatti has.

I'm not a fan of either. I don't want Bernie to think that just because one or two guys are loud that they represent the majority.

But I also realize that this is not a track-ocracy... it's more of a track-tatorship. Whatever they decide will be the way it is. But their decision should be made after hearing from all sides.

I think it is more usefull to give REASONS why it should be one way or the other, instead of just 'voting' or trying to be the most vocal.

My 'reasons' for multiple layouts: it's better for developing a thriving local 'club' racing group that shows up week after week. The permanent track is slightly better for hosting a few, large, events per year.

I am more of a 'club race' guy myself, so I'd prefer to see that type of track, but I honestly believe it's in Leisure's best interest, from a business standpoint, to attract as large a crowd as possible from week to week rather than a couple of big crowds each season.

And there is no reason why a multiple layout track can't host big races, but it does seem that Nationals and especially IFMAR Worlds races tend to go to permanent tracks that never change their layout.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

I am glad Bernie is checking this site.
I am very glad to see a place to run on-road in the region. All statements I make are intended to voice my preferences & opinions, not meant as complaints.
I do NOT like running on the same layout, over and over. If there is only one layout, I will run untill I get tired of it & that will be it.
I do like running on the painted on layouts (like Toledo & cinci), but only go to those places once a year.
Perhaps careful planning can allow for 3 or 4 different layouts & still have the painted islands. Alternating direction of travel doubles the layout options!
Clockwise one week, counter-closkwise the next, then change layout.
More technical infield would be nice. A must, to attract electric. High speed shutes into 180's---not!
Some have complained about dust & dirt on the asphalt. I don't think running both tracks on the same day has much to do with it. I would be happy to bring a leaf blower or two & help clean it off. With 3 or 4 guys blowing off the track, it will be quick & almost effortless. We can do it every round.
Schedule could look something like this; on-road, off-road, on, off, on, off, off, off, etc. cleaning track while last off-road heats are in progress.
Anyone else want to help? The more we have, the less time it will take & better conditions...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm for a painted layout with options. You can easily change it from month to month and also run one "standard" layout for big races. It looks more professional and entices people to run there. Look at the Tamiya USA track, very nice, painted, and allows options to change the layout.

Another thing to ponder, board tracks are harder on parts. With a painted-curbed layout you don't tear corners off your chassis like 2x4s do. Something I know Rookie and Nexus are all too familiar with!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

The weather looks perfect for Sunday! Who is in? Who will bring a blower?
I am in for both.
65 degrees & sunny. Just doesn't get any better than that.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Something I know Rookie and Nexus are all too familiar with!
It's on Donkey KONG!!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Something I know Rookie and Nexus are all too familiar with!
Next time when you suddently see TWO 1/8th goes slow and runningside by side next to your little 1/10th....we will show you how "breaking parts" suppose to mean....I garantee it. Its' Donkey Kong X2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.