Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Tennessee-Kentucky Racing
Sir Goony’s Speedway. Home of the ROCCK (Radio Operated Car Club of Knoxville) >

Sir Goony’s Speedway. Home of the ROCCK (Radio Operated Car Club of Knoxville)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sir Goony’s Speedway. Home of the ROCCK (Radio Operated Car Club of Knoxville)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So curiosity got to me and I got to wondering how fast we are going at Goonies. So I went and measured the track last night and crunched some numbers thanks to the help of my internet viewing machine and here is what I came up with. The track is 240 linear feet at the center line.

Legends: 29.6 fps, 20.1 mph, 63.5 scaled mph (@8.1 sec lap times)
Pan Cars: 33.8 fps, 23.04 mph, 72.73 scaled mph (@7.1 sec lap times)
Late Mods: 43.6 fps, 29.7 mph, 126.1 scaled mph (@5.5 sec lap times)

Obviously that can vary some based on your line and actual lap times, I just took what I thought was close to the A main winners average lap times. Anyway, it kinda gives us a base line to talk about.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool Super Duper mini late model man

Congrad. to Lee on some fast laps and win in the mini late model class,and Richard in the legends class also Tony for TQ in the pan car. What some great racing by everyone Sat. The lap times are getting close to the same as Lails track that has 12 degree banking, it shows how good a job Jstoe and all the guys did on the Sir Goonys centrifical track. Missed all the VTA guys,this is a great track for oval and onroad. People should not whine about not having a track to race at, because it is there, well worth my 150 mile round trip drive. keep the littles rollingET
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by coors40light
So curiosity got to me and I got to wondering how fast we are going at Goonies. So I went and measured the track last night and crunched some numbers thanks to the help of my internet viewing machine and here is what I came up with. The track is 240 linear feet at the center line.

Legends: 29.6 fps, 20.1 mph, 63.5 scaled mph (@8.1 sec lap times)
Pan Cars: 33.8 fps, 23.04 mph, 72.73 scaled mph (@7.1 sec lap times)
Late Mods: 43.6 fps, 29.7 mph, 126.1 scaled mph (@5.5 sec lap times)

Obviously that can vary some based on your line and actual lap times, I just took what I thought was close to the A main winners average lap times. Anyway, it kinda gives us a base line to talk about.
Pretty awesome stats Lee........Did you ever get some updated points together. Wantin to see how far down i dropped in the pan car and how much i jumped in the legends with my best finish to date
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JKyte5
Pretty awesome stats Lee........Did you ever get some updated points together. Wantin to see how far down i dropped in the pan car and how much i jumped in the legends with my best finish to date
http://www.rctech.net/forum/10976094-post2623.html
Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Legends "chrome " trophy car minus the decals ofcourse. Next up the oval pan car body which will be done tonight as long as tha rain holds off....

Last edited by JKyte5; 05-07-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone who has a VTA, touring car, or 12th scale should try and make it to the Southern Nationals race Sep 21-23 in Nashville....it's going to be a fun one! The link to the thread is below:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-city-u-s.html

Last edited by WD40; 07-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WD40
Anyone who has a VTA, touring car, or 12th scale should try and make it to the Southern Nationals race Sep 21-23 in Nashville....it going to be a fun one! The link to the thread is below:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-city-u-s.html
last year at the Nats...the Rocck came out strong and did very well in VTA and GT...hope to cya this year as well
Old 07-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Morning gents. I would like to try the VTA class but I'm afraid I'll get a car and race it a few time and not even be competitive because of the guys that have been doing it for a while and know how and what is going on. I'm somewhat new at on-road racing. Did a little back in the 90s with an RS4 and would like to get back into it but if I'm going to get beat bad every time why bother. Can't we set up a class (or is there already one) for newbs and keep everything fair by making everyone run the same size motor, ratio an all that, so it would be the drivers fault if they come in last? Sorry for my ignorance of the rules; this my already be the rules. But if someone would expand the program at Sir Goony's It would appreciated.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bluegrassen
Morning gents. I would like to try the VTA class but I'm afraid I'll get a car and race it a few time and not even be competitive because of the guys that have been doing it for a while and know how and what is going on. I'm somewhat new at on-road racing. Did a little back in the 90s with an RS4 and would like to get back into it but if I'm going to get beat bad every time why bother. Can't we set up a class (or is there already one) for newbs and keep everything fair by making everyone run the same size motor, ratio an all that, so it would be the drivers fault if they come in last? Sorry for my ignorance of the rules; this my already be the rules. But if someone would expand the program at Sir Goony's It would appreciated.
Hey and welcome to USVTA....dont think like that, VTA racers are some of the most helpful guys in RC. I work with new guys every week to get them up to speed...showing them the in's and out's...and most guys in your area are the same way...

the best thing is getting the right setup and drive lines...and then worry about those 10th...VTA makes the setup and driving more important than anything else.

Give me a call and I will happily help you get started...

Myron"Battman"
615-851-1876

or come up to Thunder in Nashville or Goonys there and talk to the guys, or me...we have racers that come from everywhere to practice and get knowledge on VTA and other on-road classes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bluegrassen
Can't we set up a class (or is there already one) for newbs and keep everything fair by making everyone run the same size motor, ratio an all that, so it would be the drivers fault if they come in last? Sorry for my ignorance of the rules; this my already be the rules. But if someone would expand the program at Sir Goony's It would appreciated.
That is basically the VTA or USGT class you are describing. Those two classes are pretty much national spec classes, thus they tell you what you have to run equipment wise. Myron (Darkside) is a wealth of knowledge on everything VTA and USGT, and some of our local guys (John, Brian, Christian, Julio) can and will help out as well.

Now, we run our Pan Cars and Legend cars under ‘break out’ rules. So basically we determine the minimum lap speed irregardless of your cars equipment. That puts it back in the driver’s hands to really focus on their race lines and pace themselves, because everyone is theoretically equal. The racing is tight, fast, and a blast.

Come check us out this Saturday evening and get a feel for how we run the races and how the classes line up. My name is Lee and I run the program, so if you have any questions please feel free to come over to the scoring ‘tent’ and ask.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Adept

Well you guys talked me into it. I just bought a used TC5 just to get my feet wet. I need to by some electronics for it yet. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as rules and requirements? What I really need is some suggestions on a motor ESC set-up. Turns and KV stuff makes my head spin. Looking forwards to getting out there and mixing it up with you guys.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/index.html

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

check with Jason...he keeps good deals

it may look like alot...but once you have the basic...its flows very well...

for the tc5...start stock seup...it works very well...get the manual and use that...or download
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Random question....If im breaking out by 1/10-2/10 with my transponder mounted in the front, would it make sense to mount it in the rear so i can still run the same line???? And does this make sense?????
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JKyte5
Random question....If im breaking out by 1/10-2/10 with my transponder mounted in the front, would it make sense to mount it in the rear so i can still run the same line???? And does this make sense?????
your thinking makes sense, but it doesn't matter where it's mounted in the car. It's going to measure the same time either way, because it measures from the time it passes the loop the first time, to the time it passes the loop the next time. The only advantage to putting the transponder in the front of the car is if you are neck and neck racing someone to the finish line...if your transponder is in the front and his is in the middle, you could win. Um, how often do we see those finishes? Put it in a safe, protected spot and turn your EPA down a couple of ticks on your radio.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Full program of racing planned for Saturday evening, Pan Cars, Legends, Mini Late Mod's and VTA's.
Track opens at 10, timing system set up at 4:15, racing at 5:30. Last race we ran 4 qualifiers and a feature in each class in under 4 hours, so everyone should get their money's worth.

Depending on turn out, I am going to try to structure the timed practice a little different. So, from 4:15 to 5ish will be open oval practice with timing. From 5 to 5:20ish will be open VTA practice with timing (given we have a VTA turnout). Drivers meeting around 5:30 with racing immediately following. This should give ample practice time and time to top off batteries before the first round of qualifiers.

Also, there has been mention in the off-road thread about running some sort of ‘enduro’ race. I think that would be great idea at Goonies. So, I would like to propose a 100-125 lap feature for the pans and legend cars. We can talk about it at the drivers meeting, but this would be a cool last race (race 10) of the point’s series. So be thinking about if we want to make it a grand finale for the points series or if we should wait until the point series is over to have it.
Justin, see if you can get your graphics guy to come up with some sort of cool ‘Sir Goonies 100 Lap Feature Winner’ decal we could give to the winners. Maybe incorporate it into the ROCCK logo somehow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.