Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
I don't worry about the slop too much. Some slop will never affect the cars handling. I actually took a car and shimmed out all of the slop one time and it was the worst handling car and never would go straight. I then took all the shims I put in out so it would have the slop again and was amazed how well the car worked and how it would now go straight.

I think many get too carried away and worried about slop because some 5$500 plus car has less slop than are $350 car. Work on setup more and maybe shim a little slop out but just run it because the slop won't hurt you.

I remember when I ran for Schumacher and Chris Tossolini at that time won the Nationals and also raced for Schumacher. I was on vacation in Florida and stopped by Schumacher to get some parts and check out the place. They had Chris's touring car at the shop and when I looked at it it had easily 3 times more slop than my Schumahcer car did but he didn't have no problems that year lapping the field with his car. Main thing is slop is just not really a huge problem. Ever since that I don't worry about it too much. I will just change out totally worn parts in the drive train but mostother slop I just leave it in the car.
Mine is fairly free and not a ton of slop...the only slpo that bothers me is the slop that you get in the bearings that bothers the camber adjustment...it can be .5* sometimes...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
I don't worry about the slop too much. Some slop will never affect the cars handling. I actually took a car and shimmed out all of the slop one time and it was the worst handling car and never would go straight. I then took all the shims I put in out so it would have the slop again and was amazed how well the car worked and how it would now go straight.

I think many get too carried away and worried about slop because some 5$500 plus car has less slop than are $350 car. Work on setup more and maybe shim a little slop out but just run it because the slop won't hurt you.

I remember when I ran for Schumacher and Chris Tossolini at that time won the Nationals and also raced for Schumacher. I was on vacation in Florida and stopped by Schumacher to get some parts and check out the place. They had Chris's touring car at the shop and when I looked at it it had easily 3 times more slop than my Schumahcer car did but he didn't have no problems that year lapping the field with his car. Main thing is slop is just not really a huge problem. Ever since that I don't worry about it too much. I will just change out totally worn parts in the drive train but mostother slop I just leave it in the car.

I tend to agree with you but it makes me mad when I go to set camber and the wheel moves +/- 1 degree and
also when I try to set the toe and the same +/- 1 degree shows up again. That's why I don't own a set up
station. It seems useless to me with that much slop in the car.

I replaced a lot of stuff in the TC5, so much so, that I'm not sure I can call it a TC5 anymore.
Anyway here's what I did .....

I replaced all the AE ball cups with LOsi rod ends (6017). The rod ends are shorter then the AE ball
cups so you will have to use longer turnbuckles.

I replaced the AE ball studs with HPI ball studs (75115 short, 75116 long) because I think they are
a tighter fit. That's up to you.

I replaced the AE c hubs and knuckles with Losi parts. I don't have the part #s but they have two kind.
One has only one hole in it for the tie rod and the other has two holes. I started with the one hole
knuckle but I had to make an extension to pick up the hole positions on the AE knuckle so as to keep
the same ackerman geometry. I attached the extension using the exsisting hole plus a hole I drilled for
a 2-56 screw so that the extension wouldn't rotate.
I then tried the the two hole knuckle without an extension. I just used the rearward hole. It's not the
same ackerman but close.
BTW you have to drill out the Losi c hub hindge pin hole to 3 mm so you can use the AE hindge pin.
The Losi parts are English so you have to use the Losi axle and bearings. That's a good thing because
it takes away the slop of the AE axle and bearing. I used the Losi LCD's and it worked great and is
smooth with a spool.
I liked the LCD's so much I put them on the rear. Again I had to use Losi parts for the rear. I had to
machine the Losi rear upright down because it was too tall and would have given me a high camber gain if
I didn't. You might be able to use the upright as is and move the inside camber link position up one hole.
You don't have to do any of this in the rear but I just wanted to get rid of the AE axle and bearing.

I replaced the AE shocks with Tamiya shocks.

I replaced the AE flathead screws with Xray only because I thought the AE screws looked cheap.
Not necessary, but what the hell.

Having re-read this I think I went a little over the top but I love building and modifying, maybe a little
more then racing.

Like I said I don't know if I can still call this a TC5 ....
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Damn...I look at it as AE did a great job on the tc5. They went from the FT to the r and f and changed very few parts, if there were any major issues, I think they would have changed them then...as for the camber slop issue: I turn the top of the wheel or gauge out when measuring because that is thetrue angle it is at when in motion and the force is being introduced.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
What I've done, which is a bit time consuming, is dremel off every other tooth on the front and rear pulleys. Similar to what Tamiya has been doing for years to reduce belt friction

This is my advice for reducing tweak www.exotekracing.com
Did not understand, can you explain better?My english is not so good.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I am not sure that it can be stated any simpler in english.

Corte todo outro dente nas talhas dianteiras e traseiras.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default Slop problem

If you are tired of having slop on your car you can do some modification on it like using the xray parts for the linkage rod ends this mod will probably cost you around 30 bucks to do all the linkage. Or if your are a el cheapo like me you can use parts the parts plastic bags put it on top of the ball the just pop the rod end in place it works for me. But yes the quality is not so great af far as the plastic parts but you can't beat the low price.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
I am not sure that it can be stated any simpler in english.

Corte todo outro dente nas talhas dianteiras e traseiras.
Mean to dremel sharp edges is that correct?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
If the tightness is from the center pulley being too high, there are two options.

One is the exotek holders. It lowers the shaft 1.25mm.

The other option is this completely new rear bulk head. It seems to do two major changes. One is lower the center shaft 5mm and move the motor 5mm to the center.

--pakk
I have the holders installed right now and they do a great job of loosening the belts. The bulkheads are on the way from England. I haven't received them yet, but can't wait till they get here. I also have the Exotek chassis, topdeck and strap, but haven't opened any of that yet.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fabricio
No, it means Dremel the teeth on the pulley. Dremel every second tooth from the pulley.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Mine is fairly free and not a ton of slop...the only slpo that bothers me is the slop that you get in the bearings that bothers the camber adjustment...it can be .5* sometimes...
Yeah I agree that can be a little bit of a pain.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by chrisfrom619
If you are tired of having slop on your car you can do some modification on it like using the xray parts for the linkage rod ends this mod will probably cost you around 30 bucks to do all the linkage. Or if your are a el cheapo like me you can use parts the parts plastic bags put it on top of the ball the just pop the rod end in place it works for me. But yes the quality is not so great af far as the plastic parts but you can't beat the low price.
When I got my car used from a friend he always ran Xray cars. He did use the Xray ball ends on the car. I do like that setup with those ends on. The other ball ends that always worked great for me is the Schumacher ball ends. I always like the gray ones Schumacher uses on all their touring cars.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
I have the holders installed right now and they do a great job of loosening the belts. The bulkheads are on the way from England. I haven't received them yet, but can't wait till they get here. I also have the Exotek chassis, topdeck and strap, but haven't opened any of that yet.
I have the Exotek lower holders installed as well. I can't say my car is as free as some other cars I have had but it is very smooth with zero binding. My belts do have a little bit of slack and don't fit so tight that it hampers my efficiency or speed. I'm as fast as almost everyone and I get beat by setup and some guys who drive better but speed is for the most part a non issue.

I will say they though it would of been very easy for Associated to offer optional belts that are longer and looser. I'm kinda suprised they never done this. Not a running change that most people don't notice but a true new part number with different belts.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fabricio
no it means to dremel every other tooth off on the pulley
Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrisfrom619

..... another thing you can use is plumbers teflon tape. I think they use it on pipe fittings.
It takes up the slop and , obviously, is very slick.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jag88
..... another thing you can use is plumbers teflon tape. I think they use it on pipe fittings.
It takes up the slop and , obviously, is very slick.
I am using this tape and it really works.

The bad part is to apply it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.