Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree142Likes

VBC Lightning FX

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by disaster999
The 3/8 x 1/4 bearing dont have any axial load, its more rotational as the drive side hub rotates. If anything, replace the 5x11mm with a thrust bearing as they wear out REALLY fast turning your diff gritty.

Try another 3/8 x 1/4 bearing and see if it fits, if not, you might need to carefully drill it out with a 3/8" bit
Cheers guys, I got an xray bearing and it fitted perfectly so the kit one must just have been slightly too small?

What Thrust bearing are people using? I tried the Tamiya 51346 F103 one but it was not big enough to go over the shaft.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoyle
Hi, I went to build the diff as part of my build yesterday and I cannot get the bearing to go on. The flanged bearing goes on fine but the normally one just does not fit. Has anyone else has this problem? I have ordered some other bearings to see if there is just a problem with the one I got in my kit.
I had the same wrong bearing in my kit. Contact VBC to replace it
Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cheers guys, I got an xray bearing and it fitted perfectly so the kit one must just have been slightly too small?

What Thrust bearing are people using? I tried the Tamiya 51346 F103 one but it was not big enough to go over the shaft.
Although I havent tried it myself, I think either of the following would work.

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...5x11x4-5-f511g

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdId=BLH1820
Old 01-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

tamiya thrust bearing works great in the differential, no more blown 5x11 bearings
Old 01-27-2016, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AlexPate
tamiya thrust bearing works great in the differential, no more blown 5x11 bearings
Alex, which one, do you know the part no? I can't remember which one I bought but it was the wrong size
Old 01-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Alex, which one, do you know the part no? I can't remember which one I bought but it was the wrong size
https://gripworksrc.com/products/f103-f104-1-piece-ball-thrust-bearing
This one
Old 01-28-2016, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

Just ordered my 1st F1. Now I have get body and wings
Old 02-02-2016, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Guys!

On front-end, between arms and arm support there's a 1.5mm shim by default. Someone already try more shims?

On my previous Ligthning, I was running 2.5mm.

BR,
Nicolas.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Just had my "real" rc session with the FX this past weekend (didnt have time to do a write up till now) and Im pretty impressed with the performance of the car.

Im saying its my real session because instead of just running 2 batteries through the car at night in the cold, rushing to get as much run time before the track closes, I found a full day to camp at the track and just run as long as I want. I was able to test out all sorts of tire combination and different tire sauce until eventually I found one I really liked.

Temps were around 15-20c
Track conditions were around 15-25c depending the time of day. Was warm with the sun out but quickly dropped when sun was setting
Tracking on the track was medium and the layout was tight and technical.

At first I was testing out the tried and true Pit Shimizu 571/572 combo with mighty gripper V3 traction compound on wide offset wheels. It performed alright. There wasnt much grip at first, but once the tires warmed up it hooked up a little bit. There was more tire squeal from the front tires than anything. Overall my car pushed more than anything.

I tried another set of Pit Shimizu 574 fronts and Yokomo YF-36RS 2 tire (was told Pit Shimizu made these tires for Yokomo, which I can confirm as the build construction is very similar) with the same traction compound. Ive mounted these tires on regular offset wheel just to get a feel of how different they would perform compared to the wide versions, and my god, this combo is very tail happy. I quickly changed it to the wider offset 572 rear and made the car more drivable. It seemed to be hooking up better than the 571/572 as well. Car still pushes tho.

Finally I tried the car with Ride's new XR F1 compound and was most happy with the results. The car still pushed a little, but very minimal compared to the Pit Shimizu. The initial turn in is VERY responsive with a little mid corner push. I was able to hang with the track veterans no problem. I just need to work on my skills a bit.

All in all, Im VERY pleased with the FX and Im very glad I upgraded from the F
Old 02-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am looking to get a F1 car, locally no one knows anything about the VBC.
Please help me decide on which kit
Old 02-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by L_Brown
The Vbc fx is an amazing kit it has tons of corner speed. One of our local drivers picked one up recently and he had to apologize to me. He now understands why I kept hitting people while following closely behind, it just has so much more corner speed than previous cars that sometimes you get caught out by other cars natural braking points. If you get one you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexPate
The Vbc fx is an amazing kit it has tons of corner speed. One of our local drivers picked one up recently and he had to apologize to me. He now understands why I kept hitting people while following closely behind, it just has so much more corner speed than previous cars that sometimes you get caught out by other cars natural braking points. If you get one you won't be disappointed.
Second day at the track and I am amazed the handling of the kit. I can easily hang with or stay ahead of the locals with the FX and it turned out to be very enjoyable for all. Handling was really neutral and predictable. The end of the straight 180 degree tight sweeper was a bit hairy which requires me to add a big of drag brake or Ill end up in the wall.

That being said, tires had a huge roll in the handling department. Once you find the right combination of traction compound, tire and setup, the FX handles almost on rails
Old 02-19-2016, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L_Brown
The VBC Lightning FX is my 3rd F1 (Tamiya F104 pro/StreetJam SJF01) and I'm glad to have switched brands. I can drive the Lightning FX with more confidence and it has way more corner speed than the last 2 cars. I was a bit worried at first since my SJF01 was a great working car. The car is solid and the only things I have broken are the side links after some heavy crashes (who put that dot there!?!?!?!)
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Awesome Car lots of steering good buy
Old 02-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I pulled the trigger. Got it on eBay
Was on there for $249, had a make offer tab, I offered $210 and free shipping and they accepted it. So its ordered!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.