Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn LAB-C01

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Post your entire setup, every detail. Only then it's possible to give you some good suggestions you can try.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speed6
Hey guys 2nd championship race came 2nd very happy with the result. But I am in need of more off power steering coming into a very tight U turn chicanes. Shocks front are in the lowest hole, rear shocks in the highest hole. Tried raising a bit the rear roll center but didn't see much difference. What do you suggest? I thought of trying softer front shocks.
It is hard to help without more info, but I will try. You can try to

- put the front upper pins in a lower position
- make the rear camber link with less angle
- make the front narrower
- softer front tires
- #12 front ackerman
- softer front sway bar

These are just some ideas and are not in any order.

Good luck

DJ Apolaro
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

I am running a stock setup with the following updates
rear rollcenter lower hinges raised by 1
Diff stock
Droop Stock
Shocks Stock
Rear Toe in 2
Front Toe Out 1
Rear upper camber link lowered a bit to raise a bit higher the roll center.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
It is hard to help without more info, but I will try. You can try to

- put the front upper pins in a lower position
- make the rear camber link with less angle
- make the front narrower
- softer front tires
- #12 front ackerman
- softer front sway bar

These are just some ideas and are not in any order.

Good luck

DJ Apolaro
Hej Dj could you kindly explain what do you mean by - make the rear camber link with less angle and putting the front upper pins in a lower position wouldn't that be rising the roll center i.e. less grip upfront?

Could it be that since i rasied the rear roll center i am wearing more my rear tyres?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

lower rear hinges give better tire wear, i run mine on the lowest position
Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mrgsr
lower rear hinges give better tire wear, i run mine on the lowest position
You mean at the rear?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Hej Dj could you kindly explain what do you mean by - make the rear camber link with less angle and putting the front upper pins in a lower position wouldn't that be rising the roll center i.e. less grip upfront?

Could it be that since i raised the rear roll center i am wearing more my rear tyres?

Thanks
When you take out shims from under the outer part of the camber link. It makes less angle and also make the car have less traction going into the turn off power. When you get on power you will have more traction.

When you lower the front upper pins, yes it is raising the roll center, but it makes the car react faster left to right and give more initial steering.

I know some things work a certain way based on theory, but what I am telling you I have done test with and that is how the car reacts with the setting I am giving you.

Remember everything has a positive and negative and we just try to find the more positive adjustments to get the fastest laps. Sometime you have to give up a little on some turn to make more up on others.

Also remember that roll centers mainly work different at different parts of the turn. So just thinking; oh, I lowered my roll center so I have more steering or rear grip is not the case all the time. That really only applies to the rear lower pins. Yes, those lower mean more rear grip at all points of the turn, but the front and rear upper roll centers work different at different points of the turn.

Sorry for the long reply, just trying to not confuse you. LOL

Good luck,

DJ Apolaro
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
When you take out shims from under the outer part of the camber link. It makes less angle and also make the car have less traction going into the turn off power. When you get on power you will have more traction.

When you lower the front upper pins, yes it is raising the roll center, but it makes the car react faster left to right and give more initial steering.

I know some things work a certain way based on theory, but what I am telling you I have done test with and that is how the car reacts with the setting I am giving you.

Remember everything has a positive and negative and we just try to find the more positive adjustments to get the fastest laps. Sometime you have to give up a little on some turn to make more up on others.

Also remember that roll centers mainly work different at different parts of the turn. So just thinking; oh, I lowered my roll center so I have more steering or rear grip is not the case all the time. That really only applies to the rear lower pins. Yes, those lower mean more rear grip at all points of the turn, but the front and rear upper roll centers work different at different points of the turn.

Sorry for the long reply, just trying to not confuse you. LOL

Good luck,

DJ Apolaro
Best explanation I've come across.

Thanks for that D.J.

You mean at the rear?
I'm sure that Johnny means both ends of the pin. It's possible that the lowest position could involve a little Dremel work to the arm though.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

yes rear of the car. lower arm on lowest roll cenre position
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Lars have you tested the C02 yet >?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Not yet! Chris Watchorn is P.J.'s dealer for Brissie, so he got all the kits for us S.E.Q boys, and I thought that we'll just wait and get it of him this Saturday at Brendale. We are super keen to try it though, and the feedback we have is that the new belt tensioner makes the car roll like there is no tomorrow.

We'll use the upgrade kit for racing Saturday; if we think it improves the car before testing new settings, and possibly Sunday at Sunny Coast. It will be interesting.

Are you using the CO2 kit in the Graham Rourke Memorial this weekend?

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

I dont have the upgrade for the c02 yet.
i did think about getting it for this weekend but wont have the time to test before hand.
let me know how you go
Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

I dont have the upgrade for the c02 yet.
i did think about getting it for this weekend but wont have the time to test before hand.
let me know how you go
Will do, and best of luck with the Graham Rourke Memorial race.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Brendale didn’t race yesterday due to low turnout for the All Scales meeting, so we went back to our old home club at Sunshine Coast today to race for the first time in a long time. The car rolls like it will never stop with the new tensioner. We tried to just let it roll into a sweeper from certain position at the end of the back straight; like we used to when we raced there a couple of year back, but the car carries so much speed just rolling that it couldn’t take the corner. We kind of expected that it would roll really well; Daan had already advised us about that, but it’s simply awesome how it rolls now.

The track was very dusty and slippery when we got there. but we had the car dialled in fairly quickly, and we kept on gradually increasing the camber settings as the grip got better and we got faster during the day (the tire wear indicated that we should). We usually keep our front tires wearing straight across, and the rears with a bit of coning in. And I tell you what; the new rear camber adjustment is brilliant, no mucking around at all any longer. I think that this will probably become the new standard in all cars soon, its just too good.

We haven’t tried different hinge pin setting yet, the car was just awesome all day (we had the fastest car), but we’ll have a play with it during the holiday season. Another couple of guys tried the car after the race meeting, and they also thought that the car was awesome. No-one has a Carpricorn in the club; and the members there had probably thought that a Capricorn car was something a little bit to the left side, but I hope that this misguided belief has been rectified now.

A couple of tips if you haven’t put your CO2 kit in your car yet.
1. Use a 1mm spacer to the top mount of the front shockies when using big tires, the ride height adjustment ring won’t clear the bulkhead otherwise.
2. The front wire swaybar won’t fit, and you must muse a blade swaybar.

Feeling a little tired now after racing, and then driving a couple of hundred Ks to pick up my better half from another town and back again; but I’ll put together a sheet with our setup tomorrow and pass on to you in case you are interested. But our setup is probably very close to what most people would start with.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Well I ran the C02 conversion kit this weekend and if was very good. We had the 4th round of the Florida State Series and I was able to take the win convincingly by a couple of laps. I really the rear camber links being so easy to adjust. I also ran the blade bar, but did not even try to mount the wire bar. I will check into that with Capricorn to see what is coming if anything. Not sure if it is needed though. I had plenty of steering, thats for sure. I will put together a set-up over the next couple of days. Today I am busy getting back to work.

DJ Apolaro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.