Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
Use Trinity servo tape, make sure you clean both surfaces with motor cleaner before applying the tape. Never had anything come off using this tape. The Parma clear tape is sub par IMO.

is that silcone or foam? The foam crap is such a pain to clean off
Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

aa ok
in the touring class i use silicone scotch dubleside tape and it work great.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turboboost
aa ok
in the touring class i use silicone scotch dubleside tape and it work great.
Stay with it if it works for you :-)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
This has to be one of the single dumbest things I have ever read by a company rep and I can't believe anybody would eat this crap you're shoveling. you're telling me that the hangers are off on purpose to make up for the composite bulkheads being off? What a joke. If you know they're both off, why not just make them both properly? How about that?

This is nothing more than Xray trying get out of making this right for their customers. I had a LOSI SCTE and when it was found out that the diff pins inside the diffs were too soft, guess what losi did? They didn't come to us and say, "We made them out of soft steel on purpose so other components inside the diff wouldn't wear". No, they made a bunch of diff pins out of the right material and offered them up for free to their customers. When I bought my Tekno SCT410, it was from the first batch. Prior to release of the kit, but after they had already manufactured them, Tekno determined that the front suspension block was breaking under somewhat normal use. Guess what they did? No, they didn't come on here and say, "We kept it made from plastic because it's much lighter and that is an area where you want to keep weight off the chassis". Instead they included an aluminum suspension block in all the kits.

That's what companies who care about their products and their customers do. They don't offer up lame ass excuses for manufacturing defects.
haha I think we are feeding the troll, albeit a pretty technical sounding one. Should wait for a response from Tyler or a known team guy .

By this logic then all the rest of hte xray range will have twisted hinge pins due to screws in plastic (the touring cars, xb8 truggy, 2013 14 xb4s) hehehe.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
haha I think we are feeding the troll, albeit a pretty technical sounding one. Should wait for a response from Tyler or a known team guy .

By this logic then all the rest of hte xray range will have twisted hinge pins due to screws in plastic (the touring cars, xb8 truggy, 2013 14 xb4s) hehehe.
no, alok. that guy is a legit xray employee as that is the same thing they said to kevin in an email.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Can someone with the older hangers measure theirs and see if they are off or not? Going by XRAYs explanation they should all be "asymmetrical".
Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
is that silcone or foam? The foam crap is such a pain to clean off
Its the foam stuff and it's hard to get off because it works.

Pro Tip: When removing it simply spray a bit of motor spray on the foam and it will come right off.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default .6mm off

can someone post a picture of it with calipers. and cant we just use the plate and rear suspension holdes from the 2014 spec. I know this isnt something we should have to do, xray should send out new ones on the asap note if they are wrong. Just was wondering if the holders from 2014 will work as a temp fix
Old 01-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suby723
Oh come on really!? Is this a damn joke!? Your telling me it's fine to have one side at 2.5 toe and the other at 3.5? You guys better swallow your pride and get this right for us. You can visibly see that the arm angles are off on each side. If this was the case then the old 5mm suspension holders would be the exact same. You guys dropped the ball and don't want to fess up to it. Seriously if you don't fix this issue im going to sell this car and never buy another xray car again.
Did you measure them to see if they were actually off with a setup system? Another poster put the car in the alignment system and it did not show a difference.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
Did you measure them to see if they were actually off with a setup system? Another poster put the car in the alignment system and it did not show a difference.
I don't have a setup station and you don't need one. You can visibly see that one arm is further away from the chassis over the other side. I aligned race cars for a living and I sure know what I'm seeing is very wrong. This issue must be resolved asap or I'm done with xray and the b.s. Reply from them is just ignorant as all hell.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Some of you guys need to read previous posts before you type. There are pics checking the mount with calipers and a CMM report checking the hinge pin angles posted in the last few days. Here are the pics and CMM printout.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m5h99p73q...MaJXbMJTa?dl=0
Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So I just measure just about everything I could, from every angle I am capable of, and this is what I found-

The tab that the rear gearbox mounts on is symmetrical to the centerline of the chassis, as are both the long sides that run front to back. The gearbox is mounted in the center of the tab, and the rear hinge plate mounting holes are equal distance from the edges of the gearbox, as well as the edges of the tab that the gearbox mounts to. The rear front brace has the inserts the same distance out from the gearbox and also the chassis tab that the gearbox mounts to. Without the rear plate on, EVERYTHING appears to be perfectly symmetrical to the centerline of the chassis.
I cannot for the life of me find this .5mm anomally that they supposedly were accounting for when they built the rear hinge brace with "asymmetrical" holes. When I build the car with zero inserts in all 4 positions, and run a straight edge across the rear brace, not only is the difference visible, but every which way I measured things it put the tip of the right side arm about 1mm farther forward.

I don't want it to be the case, but everything I am seeing tells me that the response posted by Xraysupport is complete B.S., and a bit arrogant sounding to boot. If it even were true, with a "Legendary attention to detail", couldn't other parts have been altered so that things were symmetrical? Is this same "Legenday attention to detail" the same quality that had a manual with typos, setup sheets that were not physically possible, shock o-rings that have a sub par fit(IMO), a reversible diff that has one outdrive protrude farther than the other? Get down off the high horse, nobody's perfect, but at least be accountable.

If I notice that one of my axles has a wobble to it, should I use my "Legendary attention to detail" and bend the other one so they wobble in unison, or should I correct the the axle that is out of line? True of false, no matter which way I look at it, the response was bogus IMO, and makes Xray look bad either way.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-sam_0588.jpg   Xray XB4 thread-sam_0589.jpg   Xray XB4 thread-sam_0590.jpg   Xray XB4 thread-sam_0592.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Now, when I assemble the car with zero inserts, but swap the rear left insert to a .5 deg, with the offset out to compensate for the "asymmetrical" holes in the brace, then take the same measurements from the straight edge, the tips of the arms are EXACTLY the same, I'm talking within .02mm! HELLO! Something is wrong here.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-sam_0593.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcgod
Some of you guys need to read previous posts before you type. There are pics checking the mount with calipers and a CMM report checking the hinge pin angles posted in the last few days. Here are the pics and CMM printout.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m5h99p73q...MaJXbMJTa?dl=0
Can you please explain what is what in the print out sheet?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a '14 car, the screw holes in the mounts are .020" different to the hinge pin inserts holes, like you guys are seeing on the '15. However I measured the angle between the flat surface of the RR block to the flattest part of the a arm with the same insets on both sides and the angles of the arms are the same! Looks to me like Xray knows what they're doing and your toe angles are still correct even though the mounting of the plate is asymmetrical to the insert holes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.