Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

I think it was a novarossi carby.

I think it was a carb problem not a tune problem as the guys that where tuning are in the top 10 in N.S.W.

I am going to try the carby again after I check it out.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

bballer

Try heating up the head with a heat gun or hair dryer. It helps loosen it up when trying to start it cold as well as make it easier to unstick. Its easy to let it hang up when its new. The tight fit is that way for a reason, POWER.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Alright, thanks
I started to break in my engine last night, but wow did this have compression. It kept getting stuck tdc. Is there some sort of tool that will grab the flywheel and turn it out of tdc? I finally started to get the engine started with my team magic x5 starter box. In the end, what I did was I held down the engine (at a temp of 65-70 C) on the starter box and jut let it run. The starter box kept the engine going until it began to fire. The rs3 was slowly starting, and then it ran out of gas and the piston stuck at tdc. Well it was 12:30, so I went to bed and will try again today. Is that normal, having to hold the starter box on the engine for a while until it starts? Later
Old 04-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Try not to let your engine sit at tdc. Its not good for that piston to cool in a compressed state like that. Im just a rookie but we used to have to worry about the same thing with some tight brigs stuff.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Hey, can anyone tell me the factory settings for the rs3?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey speedie I caught ya. Yer hiding in the STS thread. Did ya bust any laps wit da nitro rig yet? Or is she still in project state?

BBaller I think the settings are 4 out on the high, 4 out on the low and the mid should be flush with housing. This should be a place to start from any who. You can lean out from there.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oh yeah, bballer don't let your engine run out of fuel. This makes it lean out, which is bad for it especially during breakin. Stop it before it runs out by either plugging the pipe or snubbing the flywheel.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default STS....NovaMax.....

Hey There.......

I have been racing gas cars for a number of years now, and currently run 2 NovaMax engines in my serpent and mugen cars.

The problem is the cost of these and Novarossi engines here in the UK.

At our british National meetings we have all day saturday practice and all day sunday racing, so our engines dont last too long, I probably run nearly 25/30 tanks in a weekend.

How would the STS range of engines compare with the likes of the NovaMax??

Can they be modified enough to be as fast, and also will they still last?

I am ready for a new engine soon and am thinking of a D5 or maybe 2 if they are good enough.

Thanks for any help you can give me guys, I have read through this post and the D5 sounds very good.

cheers.........rich (UK_RAGE)
Old 04-14-2004, 04:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: STS....NovaMax.....

Originally posted by UK_RAGE
Hey There.......

I have been racing gas cars for a number of years now, and currently run 2 NovaMax engines in my serpent and mugen cars.

The problem is the cost of these and Novarossi engines here in the UK.

At our british National meetings we have all day saturday practice and all day sunday racing, so our engines dont last too long, I probably run nearly 25/30 tanks in a weekend.

How would the STS range of engines compare with the likes of the NovaMax??

Can they be modified enough to be as fast, and also will they still last?

I am ready for a new engine soon and am thinking of a D5 or maybe 2 if they are good enough.

Thanks for any help you can give me guys, I have read through this post and the D5 sounds very good.

cheers.........rich (UK_RAGE)

If you're constantly running NovaMax in that busy schedule (and can afford to do so) , why don't you give the D3 or D5 a go? Compared to the Max this engine costs nothing so you won't even notice where you spent that money. Considering that fact, you might be quite surprised with the performance after all...

A good place to order is rc-mushroom.com. They've recently got more spare parts for STS engines too...
Old 04-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Tech Rookie

thx for the advice.........

I can no longer afford to keep running NovaMax, just to much money, that is why I am looking for a cheaper engine.

I have never seen a STS engine at our nationals, so cannot compare them against other engines. If they can keep up with the pace of the nova engines then I will try them.

I can use one for saturday practice, and one for sunday racing....

thx......rich
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by bballer
thanks dino, one more question.

What is the size of the head shim that comes with the rs3? I am running 20% nitro and know i need to shim the head .4m/m (+/-.1) Can I just break it in with the head shim that comes supplied? Thanks
If your RS3 has turbo head button,it should have 0.1+0.2+0.3mm shims.
If your RS3 has normal head button,it should have 0.3mm shim only if I'm not wrong.
All Dragon .12 has 0.2+0.3mm shims and turbo head button.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Dino, Im having problems with my rs3. As I said before, i set the car on the starter box and the engine spins and turns over, but it doesn't start and idle. I just took it to my lhs and Mike (smart guy who knows a lot about engines) tuned it lean and rich, and nothing changed. He suggested that the engine may not be getting a full supply of fuel, or maybe the porting is wrong? Anyways, Im going to take the engine apart and check it to make sure everything looks ok. Has anyone had this problem with their engine, or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, and hopefully my engine wil idle soon
bballer
Old 04-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Dino, Im having problems with my rs3. As I said before, i set the car on the starter box and the engine spins and turns over, but it doesn't start and idle. I just took it to my lhs and Mike (smart guy who knows a lot about engines) tuned it lean and rich, and nothing changed. He suggested that the engine may not be getting a full supply of fuel, or maybe the porting is wrong? Anyways, Im going to take the engine apart and check it to make sure everything looks ok. Has anyone had this problem with their engine, or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, and hopefully my engine wil idle soon
bballer
Is the muffler set new? If not, check it to see if there is anything blocked in it? This is a tricky one but it rarely happens...

Also check your fuel lines for holes etc and the tank to see if there are any punctures an so on... ??
Old 04-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

its a brand new rd logics pipe, no blockage.
thanks for the suggestion. Im probably going to take the engine apart now, will tell you how it goes
Old 04-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

its a brand new rd logics pipe, no blockage.
thanks for the suggestion. Im probably going to take the engine apart now, will tell you how it goes
OK, good luck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.