Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Hunter, the CF towers are solid, I've heard of about 2 or 3 people bend the upgraded aluminum towers and even saw one bend at the track first hand. Still haven't heard of anyone breaking a CF tower. I've taken some pretty spectacular wipeouts with mine and so far so good (knocks on wood). Honestly, I'd get them and never look back.
i have broken a 4mm Xtreme carbon rear shock tower! i have also bent a 4mm 6061 aluminum truggy shock tower! and yes, i have mangled the stock rear shock tower badly that you could bend that wimpy thing with your hands. oh...and this was on the losi scte.

on the 4mm carbon tower, it was the 2 lower ears holding the screws which broke, where the 2 screws holding it to the casing were...apart from that, since the 2 upper screws on the upper holes were still intact, the 2 ears on the upper part of the diff case holding the tower broke.

i broke the carbon tower on the first 30 minutes of its running life, it was a disaster actually. so i made a hybrid of my shock tower instead...

and this is how i installed it...with more support.

notice the 2 upper ears holding the tower to the case? they broke as well...no parts available so i had to do something about it... i actually find it stronger than the stock ones, hehe. and yes, i also did some things with my rear bumper....my kit is actually now a "frankenstein", with parts transplanted from other brand of kits. haha sure it looks messy but heck it does its job very well. and that's all i care for now...to finish the race.

as for my diffs...it is the rear diff which actually suffers the most strain on the drivetrain, so i replaced mine with 1/8 internal gears as well, i used Caster Racing truggy internal gears, from the bevel to the diff pins, even the ring gear...of course there were some minor grinding. but all is well on that part of my kit now. i was able to get hold of Chris' pins as well, but not before i replaced the rear diff with the 1/8 parts.

oh and i am a slow driver on a very big track. i use a medusa motor 3660 2000kv with an 18t pinion. lots of torque but not enough speed. i can however gear up to a 20t or even a 21t if it would fit and my temps would still be cool enough.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
sensor wires are cheap and worth buying new, a 100-150mm is what your looking for. A Super Soft is also something you want.
Thanks, I was wondering about he whole super soft thing. I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping this motor so I was trying to find a cheap wire, like 5.00 instead of $15 with shipping for one. Though someone might have a new one laying around also. I have a Castle 2650 motor and I really like it. But I hear so much great stuff about Tekin and sensored motors I couldn't pass up the great deal I got on my Tekin 2650. So I'm going to do some testing on the motors and see how they stack up. I think I will like the Tekin more but I'm not sure. The Castle motor is great but it's a little big for the SCTE and can take some getting used to. If you mash the throttle you will spin out for sure. Also I have had some issues with loosing traction at the end of straight aways from too much drag from the strong 4 pole Castle motor. The Tekin seems like it will have less "natural" drag as it spins much easier in my hand. Combine that with the extra smooth sensored capabilities and I think it will be a superior set up for me. Also I just got some HB Beams for my SCTE so that should help keep the wheels planted.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

natural drag from a four pole and two easy fixes has been discussed maybe 10 times on this thread alone. Do a quick search. The castle 1410 is all you need on this truck iMO

I have broken a rear losi 8ight shock tower in the lower area as you broke your graphite.. This type of break is typically due to screws backing out that hold the lower shock tower in place. Once they back out, snap in no time.
the fix... Always check your screws over good before use or between races. It's virtually impossible to break them in that area with out a retarded head on into a concrete wall or metal pole

ps the integy carbon towers are the beefiest of all on the market for the scte that i've seen.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 04-28-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

I know eight I read your posts on the issue, and have tried to do what your fix was. It has helped, but still some drag. I wasn't complaining about the drag just I think Tekin's will be better. I don't know if it's my Transmitter or ESC but I can't get a consistent setting to get the tires to be almost spinning per your suggestion. I haven't had a chance to really test it at the track as much as I want to though either. I'm thinking I will be able to get some better results with a bit more adjustment. But if I can just change motors and run normal settings and have smoother power then I will do just that. Thanks for the idea's though eight I have shared your suggestions with several others at my Track and they all thought it sounded like a great idea.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by octopus prime
i have broken a 4mm Xtreme carbon rear shock tower! i have also bent a 4mm 6061 aluminum truggy shock tower! and yes, i have mangled the stock rear shock tower badly that you could bend that wimpy thing with your hands. oh...and this was on the losi scte.

I highlighted on bold the problem. Not all carbon fiber is the same. Different manufacturers use different thread count and quality cf fabric not to mention the different hardeners and epoxies used. I'm yet to hear of ANYONE break the Losi cf shock tower, i'm not saying it hasnt happened, but i'm yet to hear of it. I really want to give u a big thumbs up on ur ingenuity of ur ideas tho. I'd love to see some pix and have more info on the 1/8 scale diffs, options are always a good thing. But i run a MMM 2650 on 3s on this thing and have run 4s just for fun and its drivetrain is plenty capable of handling the power, especially once the lightened outdrives become available.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCTRacerX
I know eight I read your posts on the issue, and have tried to do what your fix was. It has helped, but still some drag. I wasn't complaining about the drag just I think Tekin's will be better. I don't know if it's my Transmitter or ESC but I can't get a consistent setting to get the tires to be almost spinning per your suggestion. I haven't had a chance to really test it at the track as much as I want to though either. I'm thinking I will be able to get some better results with a bit more adjustment. But if I can just change motors and run normal settings and have smoother power then I will do just that. Thanks for the idea's though eight I have shared your suggestions with several others at my Track and they all thought it sounded like a great idea.
Sctr,

Keep us posted! I currently have the cc2650. I love the motor but it just adds more weight to my tank . Im looking for different options I might try the 3800 but I was thinking I wanted to try a sensored since I have a rx8.

Thanks,
Roc
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

thanks may want to hold off on the tekin.. I see more and more threads complaining about temps. They have tuning rotors and a 4pole version coming to market soon according to a tekin employee. Good stuff.. Finally a 4pole

my suggest would be a novak build your own off their web site, built with the 14m rotor if you go any of the current. To each his own though, some have claimed success with the stock as well. The 5.5 lrp with 13mm rotor is also interesting.

good luck

Last edited by 8ight-e; 04-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RC speed zone

Originally Posted by Jpm1
Is there anywhere you can buy the kit at the moment?, looks like there all on backorder, does anyone know how far away new stock is?
RC Speedzone has them in stock
Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by octopus prime

on the 4mm carbon tower, it was the 2 lower ears holding the screws which broke, where the 2 screws holding it to the casing were...apart from that, since the 2 upper screws on the upper holes were still intact, the 2 ears on the upper part of the diff case holding the tower broke.

i broke the carbon tower on the first 30 minutes of its running life, it was a disaster actually. so i made a hybrid of my shock tower instead...

and this is how i installed it...with more support.

notice the 2 upper ears holding the tower to the case? they broke as well...no parts available so i had to do something about it... i actually find it stronger than the stock ones, hehe. and yes, i also did some things with my rear bumper....my kit is actually now a "frankenstein", with parts transplanted from other brand of kits. haha sure it looks messy but heck it does its job very well. and that's all i care for now...to finish the race.

as for my diffs...it is the rear diff which actually suffers the most strain on the drivetrain, so i replaced mine with 1/8 internal gears as well, i used Caster Racing truggy internal gears, from the bevel to the diff pins, even the ring gear...of course there were some minor grinding. but all is well on that part of my kit now. i was able to get hold of Chris' pins as well, but not before i replaced the rear diff with the 1/8 parts.

oh and i am a slow driver on a very big track. i use a medusa motor 3660 2000kv with an 18t pinion. lots of torque but not enough speed. i can however gear up to a 20t or even a 21t if it would fit and my temps would still be cool enough.
Ive never even heard of xtreme carbon fiber products, thats why i ordered the losi one, and if that breaks going to get the snr one.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Theroc
Sctr,

Keep us posted! I currently have the cc2650. I love the motor but it just adds more weight to my tank . Im looking for different options I might try the 3800 but I was thinking I wanted to try a sensored since I have a rx8.

Thanks,
Roc

Sure will, I just bought the 3800 and it is very impressive. 52 mph on 3s with 16 tooth lol. Not bad for the little 540. I have not got it to the track yet to see how the motor is for racing but I'm sure from reading all of the others on this forum the 3800 will be a much better motor for me on indoor tracks instead of the CC 2650. Eight I already bought the Tekin T8 2650. Anyways I have read about Tekin's new 4 pole sensored motors and will be purchasing one if they can price them competitively I'm not dropping 200.00 on a 4 pole 540 motor. I don't know If I would on a 550 but maybe. I think for 50.00 the 3800 it's going to be tuff to justify spending a bunch more money just to get a sensored 4 pole. But who knows might be the best thing since sliced bread..I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes. Now if Castle would just add some sensors we could have some competition in the sensored 4 pole market lol.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
natural drag from a four pole and two easy fixes has been discussed maybe 10 times on this thread alone. Do a quick search. The castle 1410 is all you need on this truck iMO

I have broken a rear losi 8ight shock tower in the lower area as you broke your graphite.. This type of break is typically due to screws backing out that hold the lower shock tower in place. Once they back out, snap in no time.
the fix... Always check your screws over good before use or between races. It's virtually impossible to break them in that area with out a retarded head on into a concrete wall or metal pole

ps the integy carbon towers are the beefiest of all on the market for the scte that i've seen.
The fix for the natural drag from a 4 pole motor is the Tenshock sc401

Not only is it by far the fastest motor I've ran, it also freewheels the best.

As for the carbon towers, Losi is the only brand I would trust, unless O.F.F. came out with some
Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Who sells tenshock? They are cool motors.

What tires is everyone planning on running for the outdoor season on the SCTE? Anyone planning on running the stockers?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

where can I get me one of these scte
AE will not have it out until June maybe so will go to the darkside(or lightside whichever you want)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 99 (99%+)
Default im so going to hell

DRRC, I had just posted this on my local tracks thread, then ran across your post.

Forgive me lord, but AE has been pushing me to have sinful thoughts (buying a Losi) and as each day passes they continue to increase in frequency. How can they do this to me, how can you do this to me. I've tried to remain strong and keep my faith in AE, but once again they choose to delay my happiness again =[

I know I may have some explaining to do for my thoughts and live with some (a lot) of grief if I purchase a Losi but this I might have to live with, because god d*m*t it's race season!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Who sells tenshock? They are cool motors.

What tires is everyone planning on running for the outdoor season on the SCTE? Anyone planning on running the stockers?
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...nshock&catId=0

I got mine from here, got it in about 5 days free shipping

I got the 4600 its such a beast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.