Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The XLR8 V2 is an excellent car. I've been running one for 2 years in the TC class. I run my TC3s in VTA. All are competitive. The Diggity chassis is a little tricky to get shimmed correctly during the build process. Diff changes and rebuilds are also cumbersome. But it is a really nice looking car that gets alot of attention. The battery configuration options help distribute the weight nicely and it handles very well.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HPI Just posted the new VTA body on Face book its a Challenger
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Holy Crap...It is indeed the Challenger T/A !! Nice. Looks like Mopar is well represented now.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-hpi-new-vta-challenger.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I think the ONE conversion I never got one of. The "rail" around the chassis was an interesting way to create stiffness. Plus you KNOW if Dave did it it's a quality piece.

Scottrik
Yeah, Dave's stuff is all high quality I never actually owned his chassis, but every other part for the TC3 I had on my original TC3 - then I sold it and had to rebuild, never got everything back so the TC3 went to the dirt oval
Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Speaking of upgrade chassis for the TC3, I own a TC3 chassis made by Xtreme Racing. Here is a link to their website (http://www.xtremercracing.com/TC3_Ca...iber_Parts.cfm).

The unique thing about the Xtreme car is you can use NTC3 suspension if you want. It also is easy to mount a NTC3 steering rack, since the holes are already pre-drilled in the chassis. The other thing that I like on this car is the one piece motor mount, which eliminates the cam. Not quite as nice as the FT TC4 motor mount, but much better than the original TC3/4 mount.

----------

One car that have that I wanted to race more in VTA was the HPI Pro3. The only problem with that car is that the center mount battery area is too small to fit 2c lipo batteries.

Another HPI car that I would race in VTA is the HPI E10. Unfortunately there is only one spur gear option available (65t) and it is .6 pitch. The internal gear ratio is 2.533 and there would be no way to gear it to be fast enough to compete with a 25.5 motor. I don't know if anyone even makes large enough .6 pinion gears. The largest HPI makes are 35t .6 pinions.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL
The XLR8V2 is (optimized) for lipo.... Motor on the left, Battery on the right. I may just have to buy one, It looks so Damn UGH!!!!! more to hide from the accountant..... But hey the left over TC3 parts can go back into the box!!!!!!) HHHMMM whats my PayPal password....
Just pulled my XLR8 out. Cutting a tape slot further back (LOTS of room behind the battery as-is) would pretty much "optimize" mine for LiPo use.

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Speaking of upgrade chassis for the TC3, I own a TC3 chassis made by Xtreme Racing. Here is a link to their website (http://www.xtremercracing.com/TC3_Ca...iber_Parts.cfm).

The unique thing about the Xtreme car is you can use NTC3 suspension if you want. It also is easy to mount a NTC3 steering rack, since the holes are already pre-drilled in the chassis. The other thing that I like on this car is the one piece motor mount, which eliminates the cam. Not quite as nice as the FT TC4 motor mount, but much better than the original TC3/4 mount.
That car looks a LOT like what I remember the IRS conversion looking like...the side rails set it apart from other period conversions.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Here's a couple pics of the "team".

Left to right, WarpSpeed D2, Warpspeed, Diggity XLR8, BMI

Note the shorter wheelbase of the D2 compared to the standard Warpspeed.

Setting this up it also looks like the XLR8 may be a bit shorter than standard...

I'd almost forgotten that I'd bought the XLR8 pretty much complete including the recommended Losi servo-saver. Got a good price on it and a bag of Diggity parts (full set of replacement arms among them) 'cause the guy who built it only raced it twice and it didn't "fit his driving style". I got it and something just didn't look right. Some time later I figured out the rear arms were switched side for side which gave the chassis a BUNCH of rear toe-out. I don't think "style" had anything to do with it, the nearly undriveable handling had to have SOMETHING to do with it. I've raced it once in spec-rubber TC at the 2008 Regionals.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Guys... Do we need the driver figure in the upcoming USVTA championships?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KELVIN KHNG
Guys... Do we need the driver figure in the upcoming USVTA championships?
as i was told a bunch of pages ago....yes, you do - full USVTA rules require the driver
Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Be careful of the JL10e because it is a 200mm chassis. That means its going to be hard to fit a 200mm body on it using the 6 mm offset of the VTA spec tires in the rear. I learned this from someone that had one and intended to use if for VTA but had trouble with bodies.
I've setup two JL10e's for VTA, using HPI bodies. No problems.

Sure they weren't using 190mm bodies?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by beemerfan
The Ofna JL10e is shaft driven. The JL10e drift is belt driven. They are two different cars. Be careful of the JL10e because it is a 200mm chassis. That means its going to be hard to fit a 200mm body on it using the 6 mm offset of the VTA spec tires in the rear. I learned this from someone that had one and intended to use if for VTA but had trouble with bodies. I don't know anything about the JL10e Drift.
Originally Posted by kael
I've setup two JL10e's for VTA, using HPI bodies. No problems.

Sure they weren't using 190mm bodies?
I THINK he was referring to the fact that it's a 200mm chassis, but you're putting the wider offset wheels for VTA on it which, effectively, takes it out wider yet.

My Warpspeed chassis above has 200mm arms/cvd's on it, as does the chassis under my Pantera. The HPI Mustang and the Parma bodies will probably not work on a 200mm chassis with the proper offset wheels but the HPI Camaro and 'Cuda are both actually 210 at the rear and a FULL 200 (plus) at the front and the 200mm chassis with VTA wheels and tires falls under it and looks GREAT with the filled wheelwells.

Keep in mind the HPI bodies are sold as part of their nitro 1/10 kits which are, I believe, 200mm.

Here's Camaro on the Warpspeed chassis. No laughing at the paint...tried something new that absolutely did not work.

And the Pantera

Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I THINK he was referring to the fact that it's a 200mm chassis, but you're putting the wider offset wheels for VTA on it which, effectively, takes it out wider yet.

My Warpspeed chassis above has 200mm arms/cvd's on it, as does the chassis under my Pantera. The HPI Mustang and the Parma bodies will probably not work on a 200mm chassis with the proper offset wheels but the HPI Camaro and 'Cuda are both actually 210 at the rear and a FULL 200 (plus) at the front and the 200mm chassis with VTA wheels and tires falls under it and looks GREAT with the filled wheelwells.

Keep in mind the HPI bodies are sold as part of their nitro 1/10 kits which are, I believe, 200mm.
That's correct. I believe the bodies that are a problem are the Mustangs and possibly the new HPI 69 Camaro. The Cuda and 68 Camaro were never a problem being wide enough for just about any 200mm chassis.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

ive gotta get my cars out..but i cant find anybody who runs VTA up here near Mentor, OH.

and SlotMachine, i bought your tc3 about a year ago... i still havent gotten it running, but im trying as best as i can. for now, im using an XRay T1
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's Camaro on the Warpspeed chassis. No laughing at the paint...tried something new that absolutely did not work.

And the Pantera

i thought the pantera wasnt allowed in the VTA
Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its not. Some tracks take liberties. I think the general consensus is do what you have to for your local track, but understand that the National rule set is there to provide a standard of racing across the country. Obviously the more tracks that run straight rules the more universal that standard becomes.

The other thing is that this shell may have been painted up before there was a national standard.

I think its beautiful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.