Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rkhess
Jgrahm - just run the 17.5 stock class and quit sandbagging
VTA is racing...17.5 is cool but no where near as much fun....Rick when you come back, bring your best VTA to the carpet and lets do some racing...see ya..
Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
It's not sandbagging. It's saving the best for last!
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
oh heck no...come get some, you Rodney and Chuck bring it....split MCC Championship my eye...
well I was hoping that the transam class was for the beginners. you know a slower class so they don't get beat down by several laps in the tc class at the track. but if you want to put 5 or 10 laps on the rest of the class instead of running TC like the rest of the fast guys and go for the easy win I'll guess I can't seem to beat any sense into you guys. but I'm not stacking the heats any more in transam other then making sure each heat has it fair share of fast and slow drivers with no resorts. was thinking of going to the heads up starts since that seems to instill more chaos in the qualifers. and setting the grid on a first come first serve setup. so that put myron in the back for each race. ya that sounds good. also thinking of making a break out 15 second lap... that could make it interesting also.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like racing battman in VTA! haha its like having a coach! but his choice of staying out of past points series, i believe is a good idea cause we all know he would win. maybe... nah! and Nashrcracer you have a pm!
Old 11-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone use sway bars in VTA? I've never had any luck with them on a low-med bite track. Would it be worth it to go softer setup and softer swaybars for stability? I don't have much experience with them. Thanks

Also does anyone have a great setup for a T3 in VTA on low-med bite track?

Last edited by RCknight; 11-06-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add text
Old 11-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
VTA is racing...17.5 is cool but no where near as much fun....Rick when you come back, bring your best VTA to the carpet and lets do some racing...see ya..
we'll see got a nitro engine %50 deal for 2011 and really close to an ofna %50 ...but i will have a JL10E set-up for 17.5 just to let the TC guys put some laps on me......yes Robert im retiring the 3belt cars

Jason,Battboy i agree with Robert at thunder the VTA class should be saved for guys getn into TC ...its not like TC 17.5 is gonna hurt your Big race VTA skills, a day of practice before big VTA races and u would be good to go IMHO

and shaggy your getn good in a hurry ...this should be your year in VTA
Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default VTA

I'm just running it as a second class. It's easy to run not many adjustments and you don't break much. It's no fun for me when you put the next guy a lap or so down, but most of the time we have at least three people on the same laps. Also when we go to the big races it's the most fun because everyone is going to be on the same lap, unless you break or have to be turn marshaled. If a guy blows by you on the straightaway just hand on you'll kill him on the infield. It seems to be the only class where the cars are very close to the same overall speed. Like Talladega just sit back and wait on the big one to happen in front of you then drive threw it for the WIN!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does anyone run 17.5/4 cell anymore?

I have a JRX-S Pro and ran with a 27T and a tired 4 cell pack while I saved up for a 17.5 system, so I didn't have to mess with the maintenance of a brushed system, or cut up my chassis to fit a lipo for a 21.5 system. I finally get a 17.5 and a new 4 cell pack at the end of last year and I find the new rules regarding the 25.5 effective 9/1 and now the rules are updated and there is no mention of the 27T, 17.5 or any gearing limits.

Quoting the VTA website:
"MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule. The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all. All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final."

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but does that last "rule" state that the system that I saved for is now illegal and now I have to spend MORE MONEY? I'm sure most of you know that the JRX-S is not lipo friendly, and I'm not going to buy a new chassis and I refuse to grind and dremel the crap out of my car just to fit a lipo. What's the point of creating a class that is supposed to support the fun of racing if I have to trade my "new" motor in for a newer one that I can't run because my chassis doesn't fit the only legal type of battery.

Whoever is in charge of making the rules needs to think about the beginner that doesn't have a lot of money, scouring the classifieds to find parts just to have fun one day a week.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ropes
Does anyone run 17.5/4 cell anymore?

I have a JRX-S Pro and ran with a 27T and a tired 4 cell pack while I saved up for a 17.5 system, so I didn't have to mess with the maintenance of a brushed system, or cut up my chassis to fit a lipo for a 21.5 system. I finally get a 17.5 and a new 4 cell pack at the end of last year and I find the new rules regarding the 25.5 effective 9/1 and now the rules are updated and there is no mention of the 27T, 17.5 or any gearing limits.

Quoting the VTA website:
"MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule. The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all. All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final."

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but does that last "rule" state that the system that I saved for is now illegal and now I have to spend MORE MONEY? I'm sure most of you know that the JRX-S is not lipo friendly, and I'm not going to buy a new chassis and I refuse to grind and dremel the crap out of my car just to fit a lipo. What's the point of creating a class that is supposed to support the fun of racing if I have to trade my "new" motor in for a newer one that I can't run because my chassis doesn't fit the only legal type of battery.

Whoever is in charge of making the rules needs to think about the beginner that doesn't have a lot of money, scouring the classifieds to find parts just to have fun one day a week.
The new rules have been posted for at least 6 months if not longer. They were posted that long ago to give everyone time to get the new stuff they need. USVTA makes the rules with the beginner very much in mind.

Sorry you did not see the new rules sooner.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I posted the rules for Fall 2010 something like 9 months ahead of time. I'm sorry that you just found out about the changes now.

I have no idea what to say that will make you happy. If it's any consolation, we changed the rules because you would have been laps off to a 21.5 lipo car with unrestricted speed controls, even with a gear limit. All the different power combinations came up initially because the hobby as a whole was going from brushed to brushless and nimh to lipo. Since there was going to be a clean break with the new motor and esc rules, all the "patches" were removed.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies and the consolations. Just needed to let off some steam and I appreciate the kind listeners.

Regarding the rule change, I assumed (and this is what I get for assuming) that the new 25.5 motor was replacing the 21.5, not all of the motors. Do any of you think, with the onset of the 25.5 motor, that the 17.5/4 cell could now be competitive?

I guess I'll just have to man up and fall in line with everyone else eventually. Oh well, it was nice to be able to have options and still be within regulations, even though I was a few laps down at the end of the day...I just thought I sucked at driving.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies and the consolations. Just needed to let off some steam and I appreciate the kind listeners.

Regarding the rule change, I assumed (and this is what I get for assuming) that the new 25.5 motor was replacing the 21.5, not all of the motors. Do any of you think, with the onset of the 25.5 motor, that the 17.5/4 cell could now be competitive?

I guess I'll just have to man up and fall in line with everyone else eventually. Oh well, it was nice to be able to have options and still be within regulations, even though I was a few laps down at the end of the day...I just thought I sucked at driving.
Well you could be in my shoes.. I have all the correct equipment but no one to race them with. Those racing VTA within a couple hours of me are not adopting the 25.5 rule. Geez.. Glad I bought that motor so I can do full throttle circles in the street.

Did get a Camaro body painted before work though.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

You know I am not sure how the 17.5 will do against the newer system since its on four cells. Even if it does ok which it might, you still need for the club you run at to allow it. I will say this, Novak has a great trade in program so if you want to go to the legal motor and you have an old Novak give them a call. If not. Everyone wants a 17.5 for something. Stock, RCGT, Short Course Trucks, you can get a fair price for that motor.

Next dont sucker yourself into thinking you need a huge lipo to go into that chassis. I doubt you will use 1000 mah. Find one that will fit. Get a little 2500mah lipo that will wedge in there without any mods. Or get yourself a TC3 for fifty bucks and move on.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I will say this, Novak has a great trade in program so if you want to go to the legal motor and you have an old Novak give them a call. If not. Everyone wants a 17.5 for something. Stock, RCGT, Short Course Trucks, you can get a fair price for that motor.

Next dont sucker yourself into thinking you need a huge lipo to go into that chassis. I doubt you will use 1000 mah. Find one that will fit. Get a little 2500mah lipo that will wedge in there without any mods. Or get yourself a TC3 for fifty bucks and move on.
All good advice there. The Novak trade in program is great and they have really fast turn around. I'd go for the trade in/trade up for sure, all the while looking for that used TC3 deal to come around (probably closer to $100 than 50 in a useable condition) but they're bullet proof and tons of parts are still available. Oh, and cheap lipos that will be more than adequate are a dime a dozen on ebay.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I'll go ahead and post my usual warning re: dime a dozen lipos...be certain that you buy a pack that is accepted EVERYWHERE you might race. A ROAR-approved pack is always the safe (though not necessarily cheapest) bet in that regard. Many tracks and clubs rely on the ROAR insurance so they will require ROAR-approved packs.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I'll go ahead and post my usual warning re: dime a dozen lipos...be certain that you buy a pack that is accepted EVERYWHERE you might race. A ROAR-approved pack is always the safe (though not necessarily cheapest) bet in that regard. Many tracks and clubs rely on the ROAR insurance so they will require ROAR-approved packs.
+1 and don't buy used lipos.
I have a couple roar approved when needed and a bunch of Turnigy packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.