Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

guess we'll see, but talking with mark regarding his 104 which is one of the best drivers and hardest working guys ive seen up here He has tuned the heck out of his car all winter and also placed in many of the Tamiya Nat's A-mains outdoors we kill them off the corner being able to get the rear traction that they can't. He has had to tun his car to be gentle on the inital low end throtle because he can't get it connected to the carpet as good as we can.

Rear toe and camber creates rear grip which equals foward bite... works in all cars T.C. 10th, 8th and especialy 5th scale which is an over powered 25 lbs two wheel drive car. and it will show it's self even more on the lower traction asphalt... carpet is like driving on velcro and it is still an issue.

Again guess we'll see but glad winter is about over and we are heading outside again and have a full season at TZR to dial them in.

you can run the pit tire on a tamiya front end we are running the ride 25009 front rim which allows you to run the Pit 0561 ribbed front or you can run the tamiya foam wheel and then you can run the pit 0571 front slick which has a slightly lower profile front side wall and has been my choice on carpet...
Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Tech Champion

Seems like the groove in the Ride tires is just a bit too small for the stock FGX rims...anyone else notice that?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916
guess we'll see, but talking with mark regarding his 104 which is one of the best drivers and hardest working guys ive seen up here He has tuned the heck out of his car all winter and also placed in many of the Tamiya Nat's A-mains outdoors we kill them off the corner being able to get the rear traction that they can't. He has had to tun his car to be gentle on the inital low end throtle because he can't get it connected to the carpet as good as we can.

Rear toe and camber creates rear grip which equals foward bite... works in all cars T.C. 10th, 8th and especialy 5th scale which is an over powered 25 lbs two wheel drive car. and it will show it's self even more on the lower traction asphalt... carpet is like driving on velcro and it is still an issue.

Again guess we'll see but glad winter is about over and we are heading outside again and have a full season at TZR to dial them in.

you can run the pit tire on a tamiya front end we are running the ride 25009 front rim which allows you to run the Pit 0561 ribbed front or you can run the tamiya foam wheel and then you can run the pit 0571 front slick which has a slightly lower profile front side wall and has been my choice on carpet...

If you are able to get anywhere near a 104 on carpet, you have a good car!! as expected the higher the grip levels get the closer the gap between the two chassis is. Because of the size of one of our tracks we get to see things that most dont. I will try and get some good vid tomorrow of our race to compare to. We are comparing apples to oranges right now! Depending on your track you will have a pretty good advantage but on the large track here the 104's are getting tough to beat when the track is fully prepped, any other day they get toasted. its funny because now when race day at Mikes comes up the 104 bunch are the first ones there when the gates open to make sure the track gets fully prepped! It has forced me to change my setup in search for more corner speed entry since that is where they have the ability to gain ground. Since the 21.5 doesnt have much power my traction advantage really is non existent on a prepped track. Our locals placed in the A and Tq'd the last carpet Nats so we are no slouches in our own right
Old 04-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

yep I was at the carpet Nat’s' I made the "A" even with a bunch of tap outs and bone head moves on my part and tuned Kody's MD/FGX to a TQ run until he was taken out by a 104 and to a Win till it was taken back by ROAR... but that is old news and long over.

We got them really working well, and I have been on pace all winter with Mark T f104 and he has been throwing the tool box at it all season. Our carpet track is probably one of the largest in the US 60'x100' and with our previous layout fast sweeper on to long straight. Mark's Direct Drive 104 was a monster on acceleration once he was moving and top speed was insane, but was still able to get him rotating and existing corners... was cool to see the two distinct differences of the cars. looking forward to heading outside where our Asphalt track has a 1000' racing line with banked corners, off camber corners and FIA curbs... going be a great battle outdoors....
Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
If you are able to get anywhere near a 104 on carpet, you have a good car!! as expected the higher the grip levels get the closer the gap between the two chassis is. Because of the size of one of our tracks we get to see things that most dont. I will try and get some good vid tomorrow of our race to compare to. We are comparing apples to oranges right now! Depending on your track you will have a pretty good advantage but on the large track here the 104's are getting tough to beat when the track is fully prepped, any other day they get toasted. its funny because now when race day at Mikes comes up the 104 bunch are the first ones there when the gates open to make sure the track gets fully prepped! It has forced me to change my setup in search for more corner speed entry since that is where they have the ability to gain ground. Since the 21.5 doesnt have much power my traction advantage really is non existent on a prepped track. Our locals placed in the A and Tq'd the last carpet Nats so we are no slouches in our own right
Lets not prep tommorrow and see what happens! But i wont run, just watch everyone else distroy their cars. It should be fun... Ill video tape that! We should have 3 bikes tomorrow to race. Cross your fingers!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDRTales
Thanks but dosen't the rabbit use f104 front knuckles so the rim is different?
Yes, you have to use Tamiya style rims up front for this conversion.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Yes, you have to use Tamiya style rims up front for this conversion.
Does the front wheelbase change back to 180 for the rabbit conversion?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AI
Spur gear shaft?
Yeah, that way you won't need that pizza cutter on the motor...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MDRTales
Does the front wheelbase change back to 180 for the rabbit conversion?
The rear wheel base is unchanged. The front will be thinner if you use the f104 front end. You can add spacers on the f104 spindles to get the wheel base back closer to 190.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just recieved my EXOTEK Rear arms . Thanks for being so fast at delivery . Testing will be soon after I get a new speddo . Burnt mine up last night tuning my exoteck Ifs Fgx ..
Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

I think the superior corner rotation in general is the key. You can get the FGX to turn, square up and accelerate in a straight line much faster due to the IRS and gear diff together. My motor of choice revs quite well and has no sign of being slower anywhere. I am sticking with my 1* rear toe block as it is enough to keep the car moving in a straight line at high speed and not make it squirrely under braking. I do not need more rotation as I can get around hairpins faster than almost any class and when in good form drive under just about any car. I think we as racers have finally gotten our FGXs to perform to our liking on our surface of choice . Now we can really get down to what works for us and try to establish some common baseline configs and some good starting points for various surfaces.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
I have been running a stock car this entire season except for the two weeks i was testing the MD chassis. Only issue i have with the stock layout is horrible tweak from the plastic upper deck. But the stock chassis is the fastest on asphalt due to the flex. I am working on a G10/FR4 upper deck that will incorporate IFS! My upper deck mounts to the battery slots with extended standoffs and the tweak is gone.

You should consider seeing if mounting the front individual suspension in a forward position (coils in nose) is something that will fit well. Looks like with the nose on the last photo theres tons of space down there. That way you also add a bit of front weight and it lowers the excess weight caused by the coils. Though this all would depend on getting small enough coils
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Yeah, that way you won't need that pizza cutter on the motor...
Rob, you get to drive one these yet?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

It's been awhile since I checked in, and still considering one of these for asphalt for the summer. I have a F109, that is good for carpet, but I was really looking for a car that would be good on both. I know last I looked the FGX was still not quite up to the F104/103 on carpet (especially on small tight tracks), has there been any changes to that, or is this still better primarily for outdoor? I'd love to read the whole thread to see if I've missed anything, but I can't right now.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

I sure think the FGX is a killer on the carpet.... like the guys said up above the things rotate like no one business and launch out of the corners.... like I had said it seemed like our local fast 104 guy his car really showed it's strength when we have a wider and open layout with its mid straight and top speed, but in the tight stuff the FGX was right on pace if not a bit quicker. also at the recent carpet Nat's the Kody's FGX was the fastest car on the track coming from a rough start to fight for the lead a 10th or two at a time. sure part of it was that Kody is one hell of a driver but the cars was dialed.

Spring is here in the NW and were heading outside now, so I can't wait to see how it rocks on the asphalt. The boys down in SoCal have started to move outside and Tony P the winner of the Nat's I believe is now using a FGX outside and had a good finish last weekend against a whole gaggle of F-104's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.