Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer x 1
slam it! lol seriously though slam it to like 4mm ride height and use rear droop to tune low speed steering. lightfoot said he runs stiffer shock oil and springs as well and of course has the rear swaybar.
I did that and with the kit springs and heavy sway bar it was still dragging the ground. I had to go up to 5.5mm to keep the tail off the carpet. I'm hoping the new rear springs solve some of that. I'd like to get it back to 4mm. On Asphalt, I don't think you will see that kind of dragging unless the traction was as high as carpet.

Next thing I'd like to see is the rear toe plate with the hinge pin location inverted, ie. as low as possible to the chassis. It would be the quickest and easiest adjustment for anti dive.

Anyone running any rear up travel limiter of any kind?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I did that and with the kit springs and heavy sway bar it was still dragging the ground. I had to go up to 5.5mm to keep the tail off the carpet. I'm hoping the new rear springs solve some of that. I'd like to get it back to 4mm. On Asphalt, I don't think you will see that kind of dragging unless the traction was as high as carpet.

Next thing I'd like to see is the rear toe plate with the hinge pin location inverted, ie. as low as possible to the chassis. It would be the quickest and easiest adjustment for anti dive.

The aluminium bulkhead allows the front suspension mount to be moved up. Same thing as lowering the rear. You have to grind a bit to clear the gear but it works great. A 1.5 mm shim really improved on power steering.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Ran mine yesterday with new rear springs, stiff, and car bottomed out rear of chassis too.
I'm gonna try fuel tubing as an up travel limiter to prevent this.
I had minimal preload on the shock collars though since the springs needed to be compressed to install the spring cups.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 6376vette
The aluminium bulkhead allows the front suspension mount to be moved up. Same thing as lowering the rear. You have to grind a bit to clear the gear but it works great. A 1.5 mm shim really improved on power steering.
I haven't broken down and gotten those yet. I was waiting for the revised edition. I thought someone said the motor mount gets in the way, but can be left off. I know that's what I need to buy, but thought I'd float that other boat and see what happens.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Official FGX page 1 similar to the other chassis' threads that would be the first post of this thread for instance.

I'm thinkin combine and update all the basics in one post at the beginning of this thread like:

Something like the post for 12th scale is alive and well in California. I agree.

Last edited by shoe; 02-21-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

I haven't broken down and gotten those yet. I was waiting for the revised edition. I thought someone said the motor mount gets in the way, but can be left off. I know that's what I need to buy, but thought I'd float that other boat and see what happens.
It did take some grinding to clear the adjustable suspension mount and to run a 31 tooth pinion but it works out well. Not sure why but before a 31 was all I could fit. Now it looks like I have room for a 33 or 34. My esc door post was in the way before but now the motor clears it a little better. Sure hated grinding all of the pink though. At least most of the grinding is pretty well hidden.

Not sure if I got v1 or v2 though. Just bought it last weekend and didn't even look.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Although i have zero experience on carpet my FGx is beginning to dominate outdoors, and the looser the track the more it shines. I think with the development that Me,Troy and Mike ( i know your up to something!!) are putting into the FGX it is eventually going to dominate especially when the new front end is finally released. Troy has the upper deck strength figured out, i will be releasing a shim kit that will include some neat little pieces that get the slop in check. Around here the 104's are fast but in a 15min main because tire condition is so critical they tend to fade near the end while my car gets stronger. I do want to ask Mike and Troy to keep in mind that on asphalt we need flex and a pretty good amount of it so whatever chassis design you come up with make sure us asphalt guys can benefit from it. I am back to stock chassis and am actually about to make a lower chassis out of some thinner material for this reason.
Man your a busy guy!! Might pick this car up for asphalt season and will keep your fix in mind. The gearbox fix for the Durango worked like a charm.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

got my fgx built today.
what such an easy build to do and so nice.
everything went together real nicely and the quality is excellent.
Im gonna head out to the local track tomorrow for a test run.
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-p2220048.jpg   3 racing new F1-p2220049.jpg   3 racing new F1-p2220050.jpg   3 racing new F1-p2220051.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shano83
got my fgx built today.
what such an easy build to do and so nice.
everything went together real nicely and the quality is excellent.
Im gonna head out to the local track tomorrow for a test run.

Hope you'll have a blast tomorrow
Did you use already any hop-ups of was it a out of the box built??
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by JD Skyline
Hope you'll have a blast tomorrow
Did you use already any hop-ups of was it a out of the box built??
Cheers JD yeah ill have a blast i think!
I got the dual steering system,front and rear spring sets,1 degree camber/caster mount,sway bar kit,front wing stiffener.Also epoxyed 2mm rod on lower front arms and 3mm rod on upper arms with heatshrink over them.

I found the dual steering system to be real nice, no slop and nice and smooth.The body had to be cut away abit to allow the steering arms move through it.
Next on the agenda are more spares like kingpins and etc.

What sort of ride height for asphalt should i aim at?
my setup that im going to test is as follows:

Front:
1* camber plate - 35g
Soft silver spring
Stock spacer placement.
0* toe

Rear:
Single hole pistion in the dampers
500wt muchmore oil in shocks
heaviest spring
sway bar kit - 5 stripe
standard rear toe plate
1mm droop
ride height atm approx 5mm
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

I got the dual steering system,front and rear spring sets,1 degree camber/caster mount,sway bar kit,front wing stiffener.Also epoxyed 2mm rod on lower front arms and 3mm rod on upper arms with heatshrink over them.

I found the dual steering system to be real nice, no slop and nice and smooth.The body had to be cut away abit to allow the steering arms move through it.

Front:
1* camber plate - 35g
Soft silver spring
Stock spacer placement.
0* toe

Rear:
heaviest spring
sway bar kit - 5 stripe
standard rear toe plate
1mm droop
Great Shano, Thanx!!

I'm the proces of buying a FGX. So I'm looking for the most essential hopups for the car! And since you are going to drive the car for the first time tomorrow this is a good moment to ask you about your set up and experience regarding the car.
So thanx again for the info and I'm very curious about your F1 test session tomorrow!!

Are you going to proceed like the real F1 teams? They are testing their new cars this week in Barcelona!! Good luck with your testing session
Old 02-22-2012, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by JD Skyline
Great Shano, Thanx!!

I'm the proces of buying a FGX. So I'm looking for the most essential hopups for the car! And since you are going to drive the car for the first time tomorrow this is a good moment to ask you about your set up and experience regarding the car.
So thanx again for the info and I'm very curious about your F1 test session tomorrow!!

Are you going to proceed like the real F1 teams? They are testing their new cars this week in Barcelona!! Good luck with your testing session
To me i would say get the dual steering system,front and rear spring kits,sway bar set and the optional alloy camber/caster mounts.
and then just the general spares eg.arms,kingpins and etc
Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

To me i would say get the dual steering system,front and rear spring kits,sway bar set and the optional alloy camber/caster mounts.
and then just the general spares eg.arms,kingpins and etc
I will definitly add these to my list Thanx.
Are you able to give some feedback after your testing session tomorrow?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Front:
1* camber plate - 35g
Soft silver spring
Stock spacer placement.
0* toe

Rear:
heaviest spring
sway bar kit - 5 stripe
standard rear toe plate
1mm droop
That setup looks very familiar... You'll smile the whole time you test. The grooved tires bark and chirp when you corner hard. I do drive this car just for the pure fun of it. And I love that color! Nice build all the way around.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM

That setup looks very familiar... You'll smile the whole time you test. The grooved tires bark and chirp when you corner hard. I do drive this car just for the pure fun of it. And I love that color! Nice build all the way around.

Yeah it is very familiar lol
I was struggling with a start setup and that sounded good.
All now it will cone down to is testing and small changes hopefully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.