Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Another FGX IFS conversion from John M.

It's getting popular... seems work great...
Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oceanhighz
this was one of the comments I read before, along with a comment from texastc back in Feb with the pan car style edging out these on carpet.

Just wanted to see what I'd missed, or if the newer chassis' had changed that. I know Timezone is a bit bigger than MRH, so maybe that's part of the difference..or maybe its just guys know how to set these up there. No one here has one yet, and only one other racer I know of that I raced with had one at another track
TexasTC was wrong. Again .
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

couple more shots, I really like how these shocks feel, may even try and put them in the rear.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
TexasTC was wrong. Again .
Haha, I just figured you had more experience with the F1 stuff that's out than I do, as mainly F104's run at our local tracks and a few F103's. Things change constantly, and there have been many advances with this chassis. You were no more wrong than I was curious
Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Hi all, looking to pick up an FGX for silver can/21.5 racing on asphalt and had a few questions:

I can't find any mention of 64p spurs anywhere, so I'm assuming I'm stuck with 48P?
How are the stock shocks? I saw an Associated 18R conversion being sold on tqracing's site.

What else do I need?
Sounds like the "Fast Gear Set" (SAK-F21) is a must for 21.5/silver can.
N tires in the box so I'll need some of those.
Seems like a few people had trouble with the KingPins, would you say the titanium nitride-coated kingpins (FGX-325) are a must have?
Spare Arms (FGX-101/V2)? Still necessary if I do the turnbuckle mod?

Any other must have spares/upgrades?

I'm more interested in reliability/durability than performance.

I might do the turnbuckle based front upper arms just because I think it looks interesting.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by oceanhighz
Haha, I just figured you had more experience with the F1 stuff that's out than I do, as mainly F104's run at our local tracks and a few F103's. Things change constantly, and there have been many advances with this chassis. You were no more wrong than I was curious
I just post alot, I dont really know much. lol I ask alot of questions.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlueEagle
Hi all, looking to pick up an FGX for silver can/21.5 racing on asphalt and had a few questions:

I can't find any mention of 64p spurs anywhere, so I'm assuming I'm stuck with 48P? yes just 48
How are the stock shocks? I saw an Associated 18R conversion being sold on tqracing's site. Stock tend to leak for some

What else do I need?
N tires in the box so I'll need some of those. Pit SHimizu grooves
Seems like a few people had trouble with the KingPins, would you say the titanium nitride-coated kingpins (FGX-325) are a must have? or F104
Spare Arms (FGX-101/V2)? Still necessary if I do the turnbuckle mod? lower arms will be, or the Exotek lower support

Any other must have spares/upgrades? you will need to grind a bit off the back posts to fit a silvercan, no biggie its covered somewhere in this thread. Get a spare upper deck or two. Consider the Mckune or Exotek conversion chassis later for durability.

I'm more interested in reliability/durability than performance. Definitely turnbuckle mod and the Exotek support then.

I might do the turnbuckle based front upper arms just because I think it looks interesting.

Thanks in advance.
Helped with some in red, more people can add to this. I sold my FGX last month
Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueEagle

I can't find any mention of 64p spurs anywhere, so I'm assuming I'm stuck with 48P?
How are the stock shocks? I saw an Associated 18R conversion being sold on tqracing's site.

What else do I need?
N tires in the box so I'll need some of those.
Seems like a few people had trouble with the KingPins, would you say the titanium nitride-coated kingpins (FGX-325) are a must have?
Spare Arms (FGX-101/V2)? Still necessary if I do the turnbuckle mod?

Any other must have spares/upgrades?

I'm more interested in reliability/durability than performance.

Thanks in advance.
Converting the rear shocks to TRF tc items isn't hard - at least with the Exotek chassis it isnt. I haven't yet tried the car on track yet (almost finished the new one) , but it certainly looks promising.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing
InspGadgt : may I ask the width of tape you used for the stripes ?

I am expecting my paints to arrive in the next day or two, so I'll need to purchase some tape to start the masking. I have some F1paintlab Lotus decals awaiting a body shell........
For the side pod stripes I used Parma 10mm masking tape. All the rest was done with a 1/4" vinyl mask. I'm thinking that was about right for the upper air box but the nose and the stripes behind the driver I think are too wide. I also have a 1/8" mask but to me it looked too narrow for the nose and the stripes behind the driver. Maybe a 3/16" or 4mm ish would have been closer.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

The TRF setup : using a couple of spare deck posts, 42mm turnbuckles, 5mm ballstuds and cups and spacers under the front studs for clearance to the deck link. You could also try threading your own hollow alloy or carbon tube in place of the deck posts, .I just used the right hand thread of the turnbuckle ,to wind into the alloy joiner and wound the ball cup onto the other end anti-clockwise.
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-cache_00000136dde162a2227.jpg  

Last edited by RedBullRacing; 04-22-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: extra detail
Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
For the side pod stripes I used Parma 10mm masking tape. All the rest was done with a 1/4" vinyl mask. I'm thinking that was about right for the upper air box but the nose and the stripes behind the driver I think are too wide. I also have a 1/8" mask but to me it looked too narrow for the nose and the stripes behind the driver. Maybe a 3/16" or 4mm ish would have been closer.
Cool, thanks. I will grab some 4,5 & 6mm to try on a scrap piece of lexan.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Let me know what looks best...I plan to do another and do it right
Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

JEALOUS!

I wish the prices on desktop CNC machines would come down a bit... but seeing how that's a niche market, i highly doubt it.

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
I own RCShox.com, i have a 4 axis CNC mill, about to get another one in a few months!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
JEALOUS!

I wish the prices on desktop CNC machines would come down a bit... but seeing how that's a niche market, i highly doubt it.

Compared to full size machines they are super cheap! My Father has four 4 40x20 mills at 180k each!! the new one i am looking at is about 20k, one i have now was 10k but i have seen used ones go for around 5k if you can find one.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

I have been running the CRC Encore shock on my FGX, http://www.timezonehobbies.com/store...roducts_id=291

works great just a quick sanding on the top of the CRC piston to match up with the C-clip groves on the FGX shock rod... very predicatble dampening and does not leak a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.