Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I won't be there this weekend... I would like to know how it does, though.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

What is the word on motor temp (or esc temp) for a brushless system compared to a brushed stock or 19t motor? I've never run 19t, but I usually have my stock motors hot enough to cook a roast on after a run. If the brushless systems are better about not running hot, score another point for them in my book!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The motors are generally only slightly warm to the touch, if at all. The heat is in the ESC...maybe 150*. They're supposed to actually run hotter at part-throttle...WOT, they run cooler.

BTW rctoyguy: I got the parts today. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

* Not to get off topic, but- great, glad to hear it... be interested in a few stock motors and a lathe? LOL

And thanks for the temp info. I have motor temps regularly in the 250 range in stock, so that is good to hear.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's just so funny how some people (usually the "old timers") dislike brushless so much and say that they can never run with brushed motors. I've even experienced club level racing that won't allow brushless in open mod. Sad. But our day is coming. The true test of when brushless is accepted will be when trinity goes back on thier word and starts selling brushless systems. I'm holding on to thier anti-brushless advertisement just for the day when they start selling brushless! It's fun watching people squirm when they know the end is near. Slowly but surely, it's coming.

Off road is so sweet with brushless, no work, all driving!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman

Off road is so sweet with brushless, no work, all driving!

That is exactly how I feel with onroad Brushless setup. More run time, more race time, almost no Maintenance. So simple...
Old 09-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Rctoyguy,

Be patient and get the GTB ESC only, so you can run the stock motor and still have the capability to run Brushless in the future. With no motor limit and possible includes a fan that should take care of temp problems if it is to arise.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Had a look on these other forums and I couldn't see any discussion on the GTB (with either 5.5 or 6.5) in regards to onroad performances. Am I going blind???
Dirty Dog,
did you find any posts regarding the performance of the 5.5 and 6.5 systems? If you havent found anything yet, I can PM you the links, let me know.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Suspended

Just post the links if you have them, so we can all take a look.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vadn1
Dirty Dog,
did you find any posts regarding the performance of the 5.5 and 6.5 systems? If you havent found anything yet, I can PM you the links, let me know.
Thanks that would be greatly appreciated. I had a look around but I could only find reports for off-road people, whereas I want feedback from Touring car drivers.

Leonard.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I posted a page or so back...Ran the new system with the 5.5 Thursday night. Had a much more linear/progressive feel with the throttle. Unbelievable torque and top end through the entire run. I run a Corally RDX and used to run with a KO VFS1 Pro with a pro built ti based 7x2. The KO had a killer mod profile that I sponged from a sponsored driver. The brushed system was absolutely no comparison to the new GTB system. I ran my best times ever and felt much more in control. The drag break setting on the GTB is amazing. I actually had to turn it down! I have also driven the Sphere/Neo 1 setup and the Novak blows it away. Much more adjustability with the Novak and better feel. When it comes to top end...The guys at Novak told me to gear so the motor temp would get into the 160-170 degree range and I would be good to go. Well, when I took the car off the track and temped the motor I was maxing out at 145 degrees and I don't think I could possibly want any more power. I was pulling 7 and 8 turn pro motors without a problem. I even habded the transmitter off to 1 of the top guys at the track and he was really impressed by the feel and power. Run time...I ran a 3300 pack in practice that I couldn't get more than 4 minutes from with a brushed mod motor and it ran for 6 minutes with the brushless. I run IB3800's to race an still had close to 3 minutes left in the pack with a 35 amp discharge. My only gripe is the size. Smaller than the Sphere but stilll big. I'll take the trade off for the fact that I can now take the car off the track, blow the foam off, and put it on the pit table. No more comm cutting, disassembling, carrying a lathe, etc... I have been racing for 18 years and will never go back to a brushed motor for mod racing. This system does it all!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Location: Tupperville, Ontario, CANADA - like tupperware but with a population of 450.

I have a GTB system. In brushless mode the rated current is 540A. Gotta like that! In brushed mode.....get this....it's 1620A. Ya, no wonder there isn't a motor limit. I think the wires would vapourize before the speed control would shut down from over load. The on resistance is like no other I've seen at .00013ohm in brush mode.

I only practiced with the brushless since I was at a club (brushed only) points race. I was keeping up with a 8x2 and I was about 4-5 teeth under geared according to the recommended gearing. It had stupid bottom end. Can't wait to try it under race conditions.

Like the previous post, I too had a lower temp on the motor. It was around 135F after 6 minutes of running - on 3300's no less.

And the adjustable drag brake is a great feature. I love the one touch button on the switch. Now only if they would put the lights there too.....
Old 09-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Suspended

It sounds sweet and looks considerably more robust (crash resistant) than the old SS.

How does the drag brake kick in? Does it only come on near neutral throttle or is it more like a normal brushed motor?

Can't wait for mine to get here!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman
It sounds sweet and looks considerably more robust (crash resistant) than the old SS.

How does the drag brake kick in? Does it only come on near neutral throttle or is it more like a normal brushed motor?

Can't wait for mine to get here!
Similar to a brushed motor....Very nice feel. I'm never changing back. The ESC is also very solid.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glowster21
I posted a page or so back...Ran the new system with the 5.5 Thursday night. Had a much more linear/progressive feel with the throttle. Unbelievable torque and top end through the entire run. I run a Corally RDX and used to run with a KO VFS1 Pro with a pro built ti based 7x2. The KO had a killer mod profile that I sponged from a sponsored driver. The brushed system was absolutely no comparison to the new GTB system. I ran my best times ever and felt much more in control. The drag break setting on the GTB is amazing. I actually had to turn it down! I have also driven the Sphere/Neo 1 setup and the Novak blows it away. Much more adjustability with the Novak and better feel. When it comes to top end...The guys at Novak told me to gear so the motor temp would get into the 160-170 degree range and I would be good to go. Well, when I took the car off the track and temped the motor I was maxing out at 145 degrees and I don't think I could possibly want any more power. I was pulling 7 and 8 turn pro motors without a problem. I even habded the transmitter off to 1 of the top guys at the track and he was really impressed by the feel and power. Run time...I ran a 3300 pack in practice that I couldn't get more than 4 minutes from with a brushed mod motor and it ran for 6 minutes with the brushless. I run IB3800's to race an still had close to 3 minutes left in the pack with a 35 amp discharge. My only gripe is the size. Smaller than the Sphere but stilll big. I'll take the trade off for the fact that I can now take the car off the track, blow the foam off, and put it on the pit table. No more comm cutting, disassembling, carrying a lathe, etc... I have been racing for 18 years and will never go back to a brushed motor for mod racing. This system does it all!
Just let me get this right.....you are referring to the motor, and not the ESC??? I just want to be sure. Also, does anyone have a fan blowing over the motor?

Just wanted some info before mine arrives hopefully in a day or two!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.