Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you reinforce the wing by shoegooing an extra piece of lexan in the bottom indent area, it makes it far less likely to break a mount. Also seems to make the wing last a bit longer.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
If you reinforce the wing by shoegooing an extra piece of lexan in the bottom indent area, it makes it far less likely to break a mount. Also seems to make the wing last a bit longer.
Please post a picture of that if you can. Thank you.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Another question for you Xray B4 guys. Do any of you guys run the TLR scte 2.0? I know you really can't compare a short course and buggy but are there any similarities in handling? I am still waiting on my B4 just trying to do some research. I don't know much about 4x4 other than you steer with gas. Or so I have been told lol. I still learning on my 4x4 short course.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeymdz
Question: when filling the diffs do you guys go by weight or by filling just above the satellite gears? When filling by weight it sure does look like its too much in there! Anyone else noticed this?
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mental_raycer
I apologise...the problem being that we can't run stock motors in the XB4 without modifying another spur gear. the holder idea works great, if you have a lathe

just machine up an aluminium bar with about a 3mm deep pocket thats a push fit on your AE spur, then fit 3 bolts around the outside to clamp it down. then use a 5.95mm drill bit to take out the centre hole and while youre there remove the internal shoulder. assemble onto xray slipper clutch assembly and youre good to go
You need the RW Racing XB4 spur gears available from MB Models here in the UK:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...html?limit=all

78-85 tooth available. More sizes if you request them: http://www.rwracing.co.uk/contact.html
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glock man
Another question for you Xray B4 guys. Do any of you guys run the TLR scte 2.0? I know you really can't compare a short course and buggy but are there any similarities in handling? I am still waiting on my B4 just trying to do some research. I don't know much about 4x4 other than you steer with gas. Or so I have been told lol. I still learning on my 4x4 short course.
I used to run an SCTE2.0. In the broadest sense driving style is the same, but buggies have far more air control and grip - especially lateral grip.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeymdz
has anyone noticed that weighing the diff oil and eyeballing it is not the same? (should I just rely on eyeballing it?)
this was my first gear diff race care (don't count the Avanti) and I didn't have a 1/100th gram or whatever scale.. I eyeballed it, after the breakin and fluid weight adjustments the eyeballing seems to be working.
Originally Posted by Arigato
Please post a picture of that if you can. Thank you.
you don't really wanna see a piece of junk superglue uglied up wing... It's embarassing just getting caught with it on the car.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Motor mount

I've just picked up a used XB4 and am very much looking forward to racing it this weekend.
I've read through most of this thread and noticed a few people referring to motor mount issues, where some were experiencing movement and a stripped spur. Can anyone expand on this for me, or am I worrying about nothing?

On another note I'm using a Tekin RS with their gen1 8.5 - What kind of gearing would you recommend? I'm a little concerned the RS is going to get hot, as I don't think 4wd mod was it's target market!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RichD
I've just picked up a used XB4 and am very much looking forward to racing it this weekend.
I've read through most of this thread and noticed a few people referring to motor mount issues, where some were experiencing movement and a stripped spur. Can anyone expand on this for me, or am I worrying about nothing?

On another note I'm using a Tekin RS with their gen1 8.5 - What kind of gearing would you recommend? I'm a little concerned the RS is going to get hot, as I don't think 4wd mod was it's target market!
I don't think you need to worry much about the motor mount. Put a bit of Loctite on the screws going into the mount and you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't anyway. Maybe check the screws between runs if you are really concerned.

8.5 can probably run between a 20 and 23 tooth pinion depending on track size. Might want to add a fan for any 4wd vehicle.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

I'd be concerned about that too. I'm running the RS Pro with zero issues. If you do decide to run that setup please keep us posted!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mjk1210
I don't think you need to worry much about the motor mount. Put a bit of Loctite on the screws going into the mount and you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't anyway. Maybe check the screws between runs if you are really concerned.

8.5 can probably run between a 20 and 23 tooth pinion depending on track size. Might want to add a fan for any 4wd vehicle.
Thanks for your feedback.
Do you mean the screws going into the motor through the plate that sits in the clamp, or the clamp screws themselves?

I'll probably go with a 20t pinion until I get a higher amp speedie.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When I was using the 8.5 with my RS I ran a 22t piņon and had no problems with heat.

If that helps

Gorden
Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by light
When I was using the 8.5 with my RS I ran a 22t piņon and had no problems with heat.

If that helps

Gorden
Cheers Gorden. That gives me some comfort while I wait for the new ESC. And slightly faster motor
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for your feedback.
Do you mean the screws going into the motor through the plate that sits in the clamp, or the clamp screws themselves?

I'll probably go with a 20t pinion until I get a higher amp speedie.

Cheers
both. basically, any screw going into any aluminum pieces should get a little bit of blue loctite. Not too much, and NOT RED (permanent). Just a bit so it holds together with all the bumping around that it might get But still check screws after each run and if you notice anything coming loose just add a little bit more loctite.

Last weekend I noticed a couple screws loosening on the front spindles at the top and bottom of the caster blocks. So take the tires off and check those every once in a while too. no loctite there though. It will "melt" and ruin plastic parts.

Better to take a minute going over the car then finish a race early parked on the side of the track.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Here is a little wing goof I tried this past weekend and it worked out very well!!!

Before cutting the front of the wing I left on a little bit of extra lexan so it can "rest" over the rear shock tower thus keeping the wing straight after accidental flips. My joking around worked! I figured once the lexan starts to rip at the 90 degree cuts I would just cut it right off.

On my next wing I'll cut it more rounded than a 90 degree cut.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-wing.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.