Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Steve... My grandson got one of these "My First RC" cars for his first birthday. I think it needs a little more speed.

Which novak BL motor do you recommend for upgrading it?
Attached Thumbnails Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss-rc-toy.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:18 AM
The Evicerator

3.5R.

Definatey!

Originally Posted by HB Moose
Steve... My grandson got one of these "My First RC" cars for his first birthday. I think it needs a little more speed.

Which novak BL motor do you recommend for upgrading it?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What size would you start out foams on one of those?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Yo Steve,
Can you recommend gearing for BCR 5 cell 4.5 motor? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:13 PM
The Evicerator

Try around 8.6 or so?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Problem w/my GTB - Velociti 6.5 setup

I installed my GTB esc and Velociti 6.5 in my car about a year and a half ago and it has been running flawlessly until a couple months ago. I was running my car w/the same gearing I always run and the battery died very quickly, so I open up my cover and it turns out my battery cells have melted out of the shrink wrap. The batteries I'm using are the Radio Shack 7.2V 3300mAH NiMH batteries. Again these have run great with my car since I got my GTB.

I thought it was simply that my batteries had gone bad, so I used another battery pack and the same thing happened

Any ideas what could be causing this? Besides the melting of the battery packs the car seems to run ok.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 PM
The Evicerator

VT,

The only thing that I can think of is that your rotor might have been weakend enough over time that it's just reached a point where it's VERY inefficient and pulling way to much current.

The fact that your batteries are stick packs doesn't help matters much either ... the connections between those pre-built stick packs is usually VERY poor... basically tin leads tack-welded together...which adds up to alot of extra resistance and in turn more power lost as heat.

I would first recommend replacing your rotor with a new sintered rotor and seeing if performance improves. You should note lower motor, ESC, and battery temperatures.

I would also recommend going to higher quality "side by side" style packs built with proper battery bars.

Originally Posted by vt_stone
I installed my GTB esc and Velociti 6.5 in my car about a year and a half ago and it has been running flawlessly until a couple months ago. I was running my car w/the same gearing I always run and the battery died very quickly, so I open up my cover and it turns out my battery cells have melted out of the shrink wrap. The batteries I'm using are the Radio Shack 7.2V 3300mAH NiMH batteries. Again these have run great with my car since I got my GTB.

I thought it was simply that my batteries had gone bad, so I used another battery pack and the same thing happened

Any ideas what could be causing this? Besides the melting of the battery packs the car seems to run ok.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Like mentioned if you can run with Erchrachtor, Schreffler, etc you will be ok... those guys are of course the "cream of the crop" and there are plenty of people who attend and race these big races who are not as talented and still have a great time racing...

So I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so afraid of going... there will more than likely be other people racing of your skill level and you'll all end up racing each other at the end
thanks scuba
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GCracker
Stupid question coming up but have to ask.............. and yes its not on the Snowbirds thread, but then most of the guys posting here race BCR and OCC

I race BCR and OC Circuit weekly and am tempted (if I can find my "hidden" talent ) to go to the 08 Snowbirds to run stock TC rubber. The problem that I have is that the guys that run in SoCal are friggen awsome Dennis "Cool hand" Lyman, Taka, Bob Hayes, Craig et al and Im just not sure how I would really stack up against an entire field of guys like these, well I am sure that I would finish dead last but is that the level of most of the drivers at the Snowbirds?
To give you a second opinion, at big races E-man, Big Rigg, and the rest of the so called "19t - mod" crew run stock at these races. This is usually the case for other high level stock guys across the Nation. I don't want to discourage, but I race with those guys all the time, and at the big events we all race stock, but (and this is a big but) at these events the testing is usually over and a different level of racing and experience comes out and even their high level of driving gets taken up a notch. My advice, go to the event and enjoy yourself. It takes more than just driving to do well, it takes experience and a bit of luck. If you take this attitude, you'll have a blast and your racing will definately improve in the long run. Mine has.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
My advice, go to the event and enjoy yourself. It takes more than just driving to do well, it takes experience and a bit of luck. If you take this attitude, you'll have a blast and your racing will definately improve in the long run. Mine has.
This will be my third year at IIC and I am not even close to guys like E but I still have fun. It is even more fun if you can take Edseb to the bar the night before the mains then try to watch him perform the day of mains!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by edseb
To give you a second opinion, at big races E-man, Big Rigg, and the rest of the so called "19t - mod" crew run stock at these races. This is usually the case for other high level stock guys across the Nation. I don't want to discourage, but I race with those guys all the time, and at the big events we all race stock, but (and this is a big but) at these events the testing is usually over and a different level of racing and experience comes out and even their high level of driving gets taken up a notch. My advice, go to the event and enjoy yourself. It takes more than just driving to do well, it takes experience and a bit of luck. If you take this attitude, you'll have a blast and your racing will definately improve in the long run. Mine has.
good point carl it does seem like everyones driving does step it up a notch
Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
VT,

The only thing that I can think of is that your rotor might have been weakend enough over time that it's just reached a point where it's VERY inefficient and pulling way to much current.

The fact that your batteries are stick packs doesn't help matters much either ... the connections between those pre-built stick packs is usually VERY poor... basically tin leads tack-welded together...which adds up to alot of extra resistance and in turn more power lost as heat.

I would first recommend replacing your rotor with a new sintered rotor and seeing if performance improves. You should note lower motor, ESC, and battery temperatures.

I would also recommend going to higher quality "side by side" style packs built with proper battery bars.
Steve,

Thanks for the help. I will take your advice and order the rotor, and rebuild my battery packs. I just need to get a dean's jig.

Any recommendations as to where I can find a sintered rotor?

Thanks again,

VT
Old 07-02-2007, 02:11 PM
The Evicerator

VT,

The first place I would check would be your local hobby shop... they should be able to order one for you.

You can always check through tower hobbies or some other online shop... or you can buy through our website via the shopatron network!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Does shopatron transform into anything else? Maybe like an AMC gremlin?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, very nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.