R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #4906
Tech Master
 
HB Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 1,080
Default

Steve... My grandson got one of these "My First RC" cars for his first birthday. I think it needs a little more speed.

Which novak BL motor do you recommend for upgrading it?
Attached Thumbnails
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss-rc-toy.jpg  
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #4907
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

3.5R.

Definatey!


Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Moose View Post
Steve... My grandson got one of these "My First RC" cars for his first birthday. I think it needs a little more speed.

Which novak BL motor do you recommend for upgrading it?
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #4908
Tech Elite
 
BillyCaldwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: OKC, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,005
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell
Default

What size would you start out foams on one of those?
__________________
Maclin | VP-Pro USA
BillyCaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #4909
Tech Elite
 
edseb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 2,421
Default

Yo Steve,
Can you recommend gearing for BCR 5 cell 4.5 motor? Thanks in advance.
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #4910
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Try around 8.6 or so?
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #4911
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3
Default Problem w/my GTB - Velociti 6.5 setup

I installed my GTB esc and Velociti 6.5 in my car about a year and a half ago and it has been running flawlessly until a couple months ago. I was running my car w/the same gearing I always run and the battery died very quickly, so I open up my cover and it turns out my battery cells have melted out of the shrink wrap. The batteries I'm using are the Radio Shack 7.2V 3300mAH NiMH batteries. Again these have run great with my car since I got my GTB.

I thought it was simply that my batteries had gone bad, so I used another battery pack and the same thing happened

Any ideas what could be causing this? Besides the melting of the battery packs the car seems to run ok.

Thanks
vt_stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #4912
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

VT,

The only thing that I can think of is that your rotor might have been weakend enough over time that it's just reached a point where it's VERY inefficient and pulling way to much current.

The fact that your batteries are stick packs doesn't help matters much either ... the connections between those pre-built stick packs is usually VERY poor... basically tin leads tack-welded together...which adds up to alot of extra resistance and in turn more power lost as heat.

I would first recommend replacing your rotor with a new sintered rotor and seeing if performance improves. You should note lower motor, ESC, and battery temperatures.

I would also recommend going to higher quality "side by side" style packs built with proper battery bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt_stone View Post
I installed my GTB esc and Velociti 6.5 in my car about a year and a half ago and it has been running flawlessly until a couple months ago. I was running my car w/the same gearing I always run and the battery died very quickly, so I open up my cover and it turns out my battery cells have melted out of the shrink wrap. The batteries I'm using are the Radio Shack 7.2V 3300mAH NiMH batteries. Again these have run great with my car since I got my GTB.

I thought it was simply that my batteries had gone bad, so I used another battery pack and the same thing happened

Any ideas what could be causing this? Besides the melting of the battery packs the car seems to run ok.

Thanks
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #4913
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: bella vista ar
Posts: 869
Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Like mentioned if you can run with Erchrachtor, Schreffler, etc you will be ok... those guys are of course the "cream of the crop" and there are plenty of people who attend and race these big races who are not as talented and still have a great time racing...

So I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so afraid of going... there will more than likely be other people racing of your skill level and you'll all end up racing each other at the end
thanks scuba
__________________
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #4914
Tech Elite
 
edseb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 2,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCracker View Post
Stupid question coming up but have to ask.............. and yes its not on the Snowbirds thread, but then most of the guys posting here race BCR and OCC

I race BCR and OC Circuit weekly and am tempted (if I can find my "hidden" talent ) to go to the 08 Snowbirds to run stock TC rubber. The problem that I have is that the guys that run in SoCal are friggen awsome Dennis "Cool hand" Lyman, Taka, Bob Hayes, Craig et al and Im just not sure how I would really stack up against an entire field of guys like these, well I am sure that I would finish dead last but is that the level of most of the drivers at the Snowbirds?
To give you a second opinion, at big races E-man, Big Rigg, and the rest of the so called "19t - mod" crew run stock at these races. This is usually the case for other high level stock guys across the Nation. I don't want to discourage, but I race with those guys all the time, and at the big events we all race stock, but (and this is a big but) at these events the testing is usually over and a different level of racing and experience comes out and even their high level of driving gets taken up a notch. My advice, go to the event and enjoy yourself. It takes more than just driving to do well, it takes experience and a bit of luck. If you take this attitude, you'll have a blast and your racing will definately improve in the long run. Mine has.
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #4915
Tech Elite
 
Yeti35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SL, UT
Posts: 2,804
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb View Post
My advice, go to the event and enjoy yourself. It takes more than just driving to do well, it takes experience and a bit of luck. If you take this attitude, you'll have a blast and your racing will definately improve in the long run. Mine has.
This will be my third year at IIC and I am not even close to guys like E but I still have fun. It is even more fun if you can take Edseb to the bar the night before the mains then try to watch him perform the day of mains!!!
__________________
JRXS Type R, I have four of them!! ;) ( Yes, I still have them!!)And racing one of them again!!
22 3.0SR
22T 2.0 w/ Exotech chassis
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #4916
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: bella vista ar
Posts: 869
Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb View Post
To give you a second opinion, at big races E-man, Big Rigg, and the rest of the so called "19t - mod" crew run stock at these races. This is usually the case for other high level stock guys across the Nation. I don't want to discourage, but I race with those guys all the time, and at the big events we all race stock, but (and this is a big but) at these events the testing is usually over and a different level of racing and experience comes out and even their high level of driving gets taken up a notch. My advice, go to the event and enjoy yourself. It takes more than just driving to do well, it takes experience and a bit of luck. If you take this attitude, you'll have a blast and your racing will definately improve in the long run. Mine has.
good point carl it does seem like everyones driving does step it up a notch
__________________
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #4917
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
VT,

The only thing that I can think of is that your rotor might have been weakend enough over time that it's just reached a point where it's VERY inefficient and pulling way to much current.

The fact that your batteries are stick packs doesn't help matters much either ... the connections between those pre-built stick packs is usually VERY poor... basically tin leads tack-welded together...which adds up to alot of extra resistance and in turn more power lost as heat.

I would first recommend replacing your rotor with a new sintered rotor and seeing if performance improves. You should note lower motor, ESC, and battery temperatures.

I would also recommend going to higher quality "side by side" style packs built with proper battery bars.
Steve,

Thanks for the help. I will take your advice and order the rotor, and rebuild my battery packs. I just need to get a dean's jig.

Any recommendations as to where I can find a sintered rotor?

Thanks again,

VT
vt_stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #4918
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

VT,

The first place I would check would be your local hobby shop... they should be able to order one for you.

You can always check through tower hobbies or some other online shop... or you can buy through our website via the shopatron network!
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #4919
Tech Elite
 
BillyCaldwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: OKC, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,005
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell
Default

Does shopatron transform into anything else? Maybe like an AMC gremlin?
__________________
Maclin | VP-Pro USA
BillyCaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #4920
Tech Elite
 
DavidAlford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,151
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford
Default

Wow, very nice
__________________
Hot Bodies/HPI | Jconcepts | Viper RC | Xpert | Sippel Speed Shop | Lawton RC Raceway | SXT
DavidAlford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 03-13-2007 07:20 PM
"""NEW""" Collari .21 3 port buggy motor lc21-b3 goneRVing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-20-2006 06:25 PM
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 10-22-2006 09:49 PM
""" XRAY FK05 """ excellent cond/super clean/stock evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-29-2006 10:04 PM
Let's send Steve Weiss (Evicerator) to Cleveland!!! TeamButter Electric On-Road 8 11-02-2004 11:32 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:51 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net