Wiki Posts
Search

NEW XRAY T2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deeman
BTW Kew. You still have that RS4 of mine ?
I thought you fell off the face of the earth, man! I shipped it to some needy, young, racers in Afghanistan. They love it! Nah... It's been taking up space in my r/c room for YEARS.I'd be happy to return the relic. My other cars won't sit next to it.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BritRacer
My guess is xray's build of materials costs about $75-100~ish.

Total COST per kit inc R&D and overheads, maybe $180 - based on total predicted kit sales, so about 5,000 kits??

This is based upon a 40% sales profit margin vs predicted total sales.

I think you would have to be crazy to sell with a lower margin.
There isn't a competition sedan manufacturer on earth that is making that much margin on a kit. You are still thinking this is a "normal" industry...lol! The the margins on competition R/C cars are TINY.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Anyone know if your servo will hand off the adge of the....

chassis? Man I hate that if it does.

Last edited by RCknight; 12-08-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tiny margins?

Originally Posted by AdrianM
There isn't a competition sedan manufacturer on earth that is making that much margin on a kit. You are still thinking this is a "normal" industry...lol! The the margins on competition R/C cars are TINY.

Just struck me funny!
Tiny margins is the same thing the oil co. execs testified about before congress for gouging all of us. It was of course linked to the huge investments on their part.
Absolutely not flaming --- just couldn't stop myself from laughing.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Let's leave the oil companies out of this. Have you bought building materials in the last 5 years. $3.50 for a 2x4, $17 for OSB, come on. Talk about gouging.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Tiny as in actually small or tiny in comparison to other "normal" industries? Industry is industry. Some are larger than others, have faster profitability (quicker return in investment) than others but profitable none the less. Why start a business in an industry where there is very little money to make? I don't have actual data, but looking at the entire scope of the industry, would tell you that there's a lot of money being made here. Is this not an industry that yields revenues in the millions? Over the last few years, new companies have been popping up everywhere! This isn't indicative of an industry where there's barely any money to be made. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drsfly
Just struck me funny!
Tiny margins is the same thing the oil co. execs testified about before congress for gouging all of us. It was of course linked to the huge investments on their part.
Absolutely not flaming --- just couldn't stop myself from laughing.

No flaming assumed...its all good.

Whats really funny is that you are mentioning the oil industry and the R/C industry in the same though process....
Old 12-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Default tiny margins!

Well I guess 12 yrs with the big C(chevron) and I relate their spin tactics to a lot of things--- somehow.I just remember all the press when gas hit $1 per gal. all the media questions and claiming of tiny margins.

Rob P. Yes I can follow const. materials also. I now work for a large electrical contractor and you would not believe what has happened to the price of pipe -- ridgid or thin wall in the last year.think triple!

We have huge developing(china) countries to thank--- in large part for that.

thinking of work I better do some---- gotta pay for new toy cars etc.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kewdawg
I thought you fell off the face of the earth, man! I shipped it to some needy, young, racers in Afghanistan. They love it! Nah... It's been taking up space in my r/c room for YEARS.I'd be happy to return the relic. My other cars won't sit next to it.
Whazzup. Actually, I did faqll off for the last 2 years. But I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. My personal financial manager (AKA - the wife), won't let me get anything new until I get rid of alot of the old stuff first. I miss the wild spending of my single days :-). So it's been slow becuase I haven't been motivated to sell yet (the TC3 is going to be a classic someday). BTW, the RS4 may make a comeback someday (you heard ut here first) .

I'll catch up with you one of these days up at Horsham. Been kinda busy so no time to even really work on the cars to be competitive right now. And with all this stuff about what car is best...

D...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kewdawg
Tiny as in actually small or tiny in comparison to other "normal" industries? Industry is industry. Some are larger than others, have faster profitability (quicker return in investment) than others but profitable none the less. Why start a business in an industry where there is very little money to make? I don't have actual data, but looking at the entire scope of the industry, would tell you that there's a lot of money being made here. Is this not an industry that yields revenues in the millions? Over the last few years, new companies have been popping up everywhere! This isn't indicative of an industry where there's barely any money to be made. Wouldn't you agree?
Couldn't agree more.
Cars are the non-winner as far as percentages go, but it is made up elsewhere.
I'm in the Restaurant industry. You have to run a 25-30% cost in order to be considered successful and not go under. Meats are where you lose money. Most of those need to be run at a 40-50% cost in order to be affordable to your guests. However, it is made up on other items like Pasta Dishes. Pasta is cheap and can be sold at a lower cost. You usually try to run 10-15% cost on your pasta dishes where ground is made up. Then you have your "Gravy" which is the BAR. Soda which costs you $0.03 cents is sold at $1.50 a glass. Liquor and beer are the same. Very low cost compared to actual price paid.
Although Car Manufacturers are losing out on the Kits, they make it up elsewhere to run a successful business.
Theres Parts,......oh, and Parts.......lemme think....Parts?.....and finally Parts.
When a hop-up chassis costs about 21% of the entire kit cost, your making up ground. ($80 chassis as opposed to a $379.99 Kit)
Business is Business, Cost deficit is Cost deficit.
I don't care if you sell peanuts on a street corner, you better get your costs right in order to make money. Some are just on a larger scale.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by drsfly
Well I guess 12 yrs with the big C(chevron) and I relate their spin tactics to a lot of things--- somehow.I just remember all the press when gas hit $1 per gal. all the media questions and claiming of tiny margins.

Rob P. Yes I can follow const. materials also. I now work for a large electrical contractor and you would not believe what has happened to the price of pipe -- ridgid or thin wall in the last year.think triple!

We have huge developing(china) countries to thank--- in large part for that.

thinking of work I better do some---- gotta pay for new toy cars etc.
I am now a oil worker myself and i am still a card carring electrician. Have you seen the price of copper lately?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is probably an dated question, but gotta ask. I am an xray virgin, never owned any chassis.

I have owned almost every other car out at one time or another and was actually considering this car. My question is about the plastic shocks. Are they still plastic for this car. If the answer is yes, and not to keep this "manufacturing cost" going but why? I know the car works and has been a good car for years now, but why with all of the other beautiful pieces on this car would the shock bodies be plastic?

Even if they are updated this go round, why plastic all along? thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Plastic can be molded smoother than aluminum can be machined (within a reasonable expense).

Last edited by Jack Smash; 12-08-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

So just how many of you racers have preordered it from places like Stormer?

also any news on the official release date?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Plastic can be molded smoother than aluminum can be machined (within a reasonable expense).
That's a new one on me. I've been a machinist for 20 years.

The plastic shocks are for weight savings I would assume. I wish they were aluminum too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.