Old 06-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nice job on the paint Indy!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Couldn't help myself, so I painted another body. Has anyone used a digital craft cutter to cut their own numbers? (this is an example - http://www.digitalcraftcutters.com/)

Here is the car I was trying to recreate thanks to the photos from the Historic Trans Am website.(http://www.historictransam.com/homepage.htm)
My friend, you may need to seek professional help. Now repeat after me. I am a good person. I deserve this. My car deserves this....
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Since Im never going to get anywhere with my driving I decided to make a shell that would win if I just gave it a good motivational speech.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Exclamation BIG NEWS! Part I

Ok boys and girls, here's the news you've been asking about and waiting for. Instead of waiting until the end of the summer season to make the official announcement, the decision has been made to open things up right now to not hold back any of the tracks currently looking for this option.

As of today, the 21.5/LiPo motor and battery option is now legal in all Trans Am racing running the USVTA rules base.

The website, first page of this thread and the PDF Rules sheet available on the USVTA website are all updated with the new rules. Please take the time to read them over, as there are a few other minor changes and additions, like the "no wheel covers of any kind allowed" rule. It's one of those rules that shouldn't need to be in there, but when the concept of the class is pushed, it needs to be written down for everyone to see.

Here are the new motor and battery rules for the remainder of 2008 and into 2009:

Motor Specifications:
  • Option 1: 27-turn ROAR stock motor: No FDR limit, bearings are not allowed.
  • Option 2: 17.5 brushless: Motor timing advance is allowed. 12.5 mm rotor diameter maximum (no "tuning" rotors are allowed).
  • Option 3: 21.5 brushless with 2C LiPo: The Novak SS21.5 Pro brushless motor (pn:3421) ONLY combined with any ROAR-approved hard-cased 2C 7.4v LiPo pack up to and including 5000 mAh capacity. All house track rules regarding LiPo usage apply. Final drive ratio is to not exceed 4.2. Motor timing advance is allowed.
Tracks should not dictate which motor combination a racer should choose. All three motor/battery combos have been tested to compete evenly against one another in competition with great success. If any one power choice shows a definitive advantage at a certain track, it is up to the race management to even the racing out via suggested gearing changes.

Battery Specifications:
  • 4 cell NiCd or NiMh batteries, 4600 mAh limit (27t brushed or 17.5 brushless option ONLY)
  • 2 cell ROAR-approved LiPo hard cased, 5000 mAh limit (21.5 brushless motor option ONLY)

Please note, that like all rules packages, I consider our rules to be amorphous and always evolving entity. Should the need arise to balance and level the playing field for any option in any way, we will do it on the fly for the betterment of the class as a whole.

If you have any questions about the new rules, don't hesitate to ask. I want to really thank the handful of tracks that assisted in testing this new option and helping come to the conclusions we decided upon.

I hope to have some more awesome Trans Am news coming up soon, as well. I think it will be a monumental leap for this class as a whole, and I'm just giddy thinking about it. Should be HUGE news... more soon.

doug

Last edited by squarehead; 06-12-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good job Doug! Glad to see you opened it up to us before the end of the outdoor season.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Doug - Thanks!!

This should help with some of the new racers to get into this class. The racers here in Colorado (15 -20) are mostly 4 cell and brushed but there are a few like myself that have gone to the 17.5. Adding the the 21.5 and lipo will get a few more off the fences.

I do have a question for the group. Last evening qualified 2nd (been finishing 2-3 ..UGH..!!!) I looked at the tires and since the outsides (left side) were showing more wear, I rotated tires. At which point the car's handling went to SH*&t and went no where but backward, sideways, upside down and over and over.

Anyone else have this issue???
Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I do have a question for the group. Last evening qualified 2nd (been finishing 2-3 ..UGH..!!!) I looked at the tires and since the outsides (left side) were showing more wear, I rotated tires. At which point the car's handling went to SH*&t and went no where but backward, sideways, upside down and over and over.

Anyone else have this issue???
Yes rotate them every run or every other run or else you will get some strange handling as you have seen. The inserts break down and bunch up so rotating them around helps with this.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Kevin beat me to it. hah
Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

With more options than ever, has anyone already done the homework and created a spreadsheet with gear ratio's of the more popular cars. Something that could be printed and kept for the Tech guy?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

<cough>FDR Calculator here<cough>

Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like the 3 power options now available. Allows guys who can tune a brushed motor or who have a stockpile of brushed motors an option AND it allows new racers from having to potentially buy older technology. An added benefit is that it gives some bragging rights to which ever combo wins that night. Not exactly a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, but about as close as we will get in practical terms in R/C.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed

Not that I'm whining just raising my hand.

Now that I, as a guy who runs some races, have a FDR to have to pay attention to, I now need to know the transmission ratios of all the chassis' out there on my tracks.

Besides geachart.com, would it now behoove the Association to list every 4wd chassis, and state and note their transmission ratios?

It sounds like I need to find every car's gearcharts and print them out and have that data at my race computer.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

They are all on that FDR calculator I created in the link above.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

I see. Thanks.

It's a downloadable .xls file.

I'll have to find a machine that can open it. I don't use Excel.

We need some HTML geek to turn it into code for a webpage.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.