Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im going to order one of these I think. What electronics(battery, esc, motor, servo) will work well with this car. But I dont want to spend a fortune though.

Would a 6cell NiMH be sufficient for this car? Would a Castle Creations motor/ESC be a good choice? What servo size fits this car.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDR
From the same page, Babelfish translates part of the second last paragraph as:

"And, in order to enjoy easy it is appearance with the rubber tire of slick type"

Rubber tires??? Whoohoo!

Can someone with better translation skills have a look? Someone told me over the weekend that there's an old Latin jibe: "To translate is to lie"...
Is there anyone that goes to that show that can give us the inside scoop?

Also noticed on Tamiya (English) that at this Hobby show to be presented will be a F104 pro with lightwieght body and the Ferrari F60.

Hopefully some youtube vids will show off these cars.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like it will come with a special can of Tamiya paint to match the ferrari color, as well as having the proper 2009-spec front and rear wings, and wheel covers...

"Actual car 2009 stipulation body work and the front and back wing which are reproduced to original real of the formal license agreement Ferrari with. In addition also the mirror and the wheel cover of unique form belong. And, in order to enjoy easy it is appearance with the rubber tire of slick type. In addition, 'PS F60 lead-leadAlso the private PS color appears' as!!"

Ferrari F60!!!!!!

If the new bodywork, wheelcovers and wings looks ANYthing like this, I will have a VERY messy keyboard!!

Last edited by akura2; 09-14-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

F60 and Rubber Tires

I'm going to wear out my keyboard:

Old 09-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yep, when sold separately, they wont be in stock for very long...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks InZane i am enjoying my f104 so much more now!
and that f60 IS AMAZING when can we expect it?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Look ma, no spring!

Having read a lot of comments regarding the cars instability at high speed, I decided to hit the track today to try a few things... As many have found the rear end is pretty good in terms of roll stiffness but much too stiff in bump - especially when compared to a tourer. So I decided to remove the shock spring and it felt a lot better. I knew there was a good chance this would work on the track.

So first run today and it was a similar story... Running kit setup with 35wt Losi oil and Co27 motor, the car was great in slow to medium speed turns but anything over half throttle, it gets twitchy with the smallest turn of the wheel. Anything over half throttle usually ended with a spin.

After 2 minutes, I had enough of this half throttle action and decided to run the shock without its spring. The car was instantly transformed. Now the rear end actually stuck! The more laps I did, the more confident I got and pretty soon I was regularly nailing the trigger. It was still a little twitchy taking the kink but I was now on full throttle compared to half throttle. That's a great gain in my book.

Next run and I decided to try the offset steering block. This tamed the twitchiness even more and I was having lots of fun throwing the car into turns. I was also confidently taking the sweeper with full throttle although I was still having the occasional moment trying to take the kink full throttle. Bear in mind, this is still running the kits tyres. With some Zen tyres or Tamiya option tyres, I reckon the car will be glued.

All I can say is this chassis rocks. I had so much fun today - more fun than driving a tourer and the car looks hot on the track. Hopefully we can get a class up and running soon at the local track.

So if you are still having issues with the chassis - REMOVE THE SHOCK SPRING and prepare for some serious fun!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Some pics from today...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-13b.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-14b.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-15b.jpg  
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Beautiful pics!

Nice to hear that you've found a good starting setup - I'll try running without the shock spring next time.

Can we please have your setup sheet
Old 09-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Thanks! I had to take pics because I know I will destroy the body sooner or later...

Setup attached. I might play with the camber and front springs next time out. BTW Inzane, what are those AE springs you are running. Are they stiffer than stock springs?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F104-VC-090915.pdf (452.5 KB, 514 views)
Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by veecee
Some pics from today...
Vinnie...that looks seriously sweet...damn i gotta get my F201 sold lol
Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Thanks buddy. It's the decals that make it. The rest is just masking and rattle cans. Although the masking is tedious even for a 2 colour job... Get a F104 mate, you won't regret it! The F60 2009 spec body and rubber tyres will be sweet - can't wait to see pics of those at the hobby show next month.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks buddy. It's the decals that make it. The rest is just masking and rattle cans. Although the masking is tedious even for a 2 colour job... Get a F104 mate, you won't regret it! The F60 2009 spec body and rubber tyres will be sweet - can't wait to see pics of those at the hobby show next month.
YEah will be at the shop as soon as 201 is gone...who did the decals for ya. My 201 is painted up the exact same way.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Having read a lot of comments regarding the cars instability at high speed, I decided to hit the track today to try a few things... As many have found the rear end is pretty good in terms of roll stiffness but much too stiff in bump - especially when compared to a tourer. So I decided to remove the shock spring and it felt a lot better. I knew there was a good chance this would work on the track.

So first run today and it was a similar story... Running kit setup with 35wt Losi oil and Co27 motor, the car was great in slow to medium speed turns but anything over half throttle, it gets twitchy with the smallest turn of the wheel. Anything over half throttle usually ended with a spin.

After 2 minutes, I had enough of this half throttle action and decided to run the shock without its spring. The car was instantly transformed. Now the rear end actually stuck! The more laps I did, the more confident I got and pretty soon I was regularly nailing the trigger. It was still a little twitchy taking the kink but I was now on full throttle compared to half throttle. That's a great gain in my book.

Next run and I decided to try the offset steering block. This tamed the twitchiness even more and I was having lots of fun throwing the car into turns. I was also confidently taking the sweeper with full throttle although I was still having the occasional moment trying to take the kink full throttle. Bear in mind, this is still running the kits tyres. With some Zen tyres or Tamiya option tyres, I reckon the car will be glued.

All I can say is this chassis rocks. I had so much fun today - more fun than driving a tourer and the car looks hot on the track. Hopefully we can get a class up and running soon at the local track.

So if you are still having issues with the chassis - REMOVE THE SHOCK SPRING and prepare for some serious fun!!!
Nice paint job, and glad that you are finally having fun with the 104.

Have you tried using the 93T spur??
Old 09-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by barts71m
YEah will be at the shop as soon as 201 is gone...who did the decals for ya. My 201 is painted up the exact same way.
They're decals I got from Rainbow Ten a year or so ago - same as the ones on D-Drivesports. It was originally meant for the F201...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.