Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by gfd2726
Hi,

Does anybody know the factory needle setting for the STS .12 Team engine? I just finished my break in (close to 20 tanks now...) for this engine and for some reason.... it's not fast... The powerband on this engine is rough... It feels almost like turbo lack (or shifting to 2 speed)... When you trigger the throttle there is no power at low & mid and all of a sudden... power come out and it's very hard to drive. I already lean out the low/high end too, temp at 240 so I don't think I am runing rich on either low or high end. Another problem is my carb seems to leak fuel cuz near the engine's carb area it's very wet... but I can't find the leak. Weird... Anyway, I will make sure all the screws on the engine are tighten then I will set all the needles back to the factory setting and start over. Thanks.
Your engine is 3ports or 5+2 ports?
Try this setting:
HSN -- 2 turns out
LSN -- 5 turns out
I thought your LSN is too lean,STS engine need to rich the LSN.

Regarding the fuel leaking,screw the main needle holder(#514) a little.
Attached Thumbnails STS engines-d3r-s.jpg  
Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gfd2726
Hi,

Does anybody know the factory needle setting for the STS .12 Team engine? I just finished my break in (close to 20 tanks now...) for this engine and for some reason.... it's not fast... The powerband on this engine is rough... It feels almost like turbo lack (or shifting to 2 speed)... When you trigger the throttle there is no power at low & mid and all of a sudden... power come out and it's very hard to drive. I already lean out the low/high end too, temp at 240 so I don't think I am runing rich on either low or high end. Another problem is my carb seems to leak fuel cuz near the engine's carb area it's very wet... but I can't find the leak. Weird... Anyway, I will make sure all the screws on the engine are tighten then I will set all the needles back to the factory setting and start over. Thanks.
I'd say you should check if your carb is leaking at the neck. Probably try to seal it
Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dino.tw
Your engine is 3ports or 5+2 ports?
Try this setting:
HSN -- 2 turns out
LSN -- 5 turns out
I thought your LSN is too lean,STS engine need to rich the LSN.

Regarding the fuel leaking,screw the main needle holder(#514) a little.
I have the 3ports version. Thanks dino.tw for the setting. I will give it a try sometimes this week.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stefan
I'd say you should check if your carb is leaking at the neck. Probably try to seal it
I'll check that tonight. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Dino, I was having a chat with a friend about bearings down the pub (as you do ) and it turns out his company manufacture ceramic balls for a swiss company that use them to assemble hi-speed ceramic hybrid bearings and he says they carry there full range as a uk distributer also. I was thinkin it would be cool to fit them to all my sts motors. If I let him know the sizes I want he'd kindly throw a handful my way which is nice , if you could verify my measurements that would be ace!
I measured the rear at 12x21x5mm (6801) and the front at 7x19x6mm (607)
I assume the d12x has similar od to the d5r just diff id of the crankshaft tunnel to make it legal.

cheers
Old 10-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by Hesky
Hey Dino, I was having a chat with a friend about bearings down the pub (as you do ) and it turns out his company manufacture ceramic balls for a swiss company that use them to assemble hi-speed ceramic hybrid bearings and he says they carry there full range as a uk distributer also. I was thinkin it would be cool to fit them to all my sts motors. If I let him know the sizes I want he'd kindly throw a handful my way which is nice , if you could verify my measurements that would be ace!
I measured the rear at 12x21x5mm (6801) and the front at 7x19x6mm (607)
I assume the d12x has similar od to the d5r just diff id of the crankshaft tunnel to make it legal.

cheers
Yes,It's 6801 & 607.
Hint: I'm using BOCA bearing for many years. It's OK with STS .12 engine.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Top Gun 777
Are you refering to compression ratio or to piston fitting. it is 2 different things.
I guess you are talking about piston fitting. Then let me try to explane you how it works. Piston material is designed to have lower expention rate then sleeve. So according to expention rate difference engines manufacturers are make sertain fitting. Some piston materials works better when they are pretty tight in sleeve, some when they are pretty loose-it is how good engine manufacturer-that he can make piston material will be pretty loose when motor is cold and it keeps slightly less tighteness when it got hot. Now how long piston will last is another thing-generaly speaking more Si in Al alloy longer it will last. I personaly preferd to have piston pretty loose when motor is cold, but in the mean time it doesn't loose a lot of tightening when motor got hot. It is ART of materials desings and it is biggest NITRO SECRET you can find in this world.
I never work with STS engines at all, so I can't give any coments on it. I just giving general info.
Edward

ahhh forget it man, yes i know compression vs pinch, and like i said, it has lost its pinch after its run-in, which is good, however it hasnt got great comression.... oh well that just my experience with the sts so far....
Old 10-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Yes,It's 6801 & 607.
Hint: I'm using BOCA bearing for many years. It's OK with STS .12 engine.
sweet, well I think I will give them a whirl then, the original ones are still super smooth and have zero play and really dont need changing so theres no rush, but it would be cool to try out some ceramics and see what all the fuss is about.

cheers
Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

hey dino, please tell us about the D21R. Is ready for sale? Could you post more information/photos? What pipes do you recommend for it?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by tomkelley
hey dino, please tell us about the D21R. Is ready for sale? Could you post more information/photos? What pipes do you recommend for it?
We already won 3 champions and 2 TQ in Taiwan lately. We already start to sell this engine in Taiwan,the street price is around $349 here. Only one version modified D21R. I love #9886 with conical manifold. #2017 or #2015 also good.
Attached Thumbnails STS engines-d21r.jpg  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

We already won 3 champions and 2 TQ in Taiwan lately. We already start to sell this engine in Taiwan,the street price is around $349 here. Only one version modified D21R. I love #9886 with conical manifold. #2017 or #2015 also good.
Dino where is mine?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Only one version modified D21R.
Hand modified? I see information on STS website, this being the only 21 onroad engine you have.

D21R (#2102)
1/8 on-road Team Engine
Cylinder Contents : 3.48cc
Bore: 16.20mm / Stroke:16.80mm
Crankshaft : 14mm SG type
Carburetor : 2 Needles Slide 9 mm
Piston / Sleeve : ABC 7P
Glow-plug : Turbo
Custom Made Team Engine

This review comes from an online store:

NEW STS D21R 1/8 On-Road Team Engine

New Motor tested also by us great motor

This engine is using Italian piston so the max rpm is close to 45,000rpm which previouslymaterials can’t make it. The Italian material has very high silicon percentage, smooth, low resistance and also almost no thermal expansion. After long time tests with the new piston,we final find the best collocation of the .21 on-road engine.

The hand modified crank- shaft has putty ramp for better efficiency. 14.00mm O.D.,10.30mm intake,SG type,extremelight but very strong!
7 intake ports + 3 exhaustports. The piston also be light-weight for better acceleration.

1/8 on-road Team Engine
Cylinder Contents : 3.48cc
Bore: 16.20mm / Stroke:16.80mm
Crankshaft : 14mm SG type
Carburetor : 2 Needles Slide 9 mm
Piston / Sleeve : ABC 7P
Glow-plug : Turbo
Custom Made Team Engine

Which plugs fit?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

MY D3R IN A NTC3 WICH IS A BETTER PIPE SINGLE OR DUEL CHAMBER
Old 10-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

the extra chamber is for further silencing of the engine, I bet there is no real difference in performance between the 2 types as the most restrictive part of the tuned pipe is the stinger. I run an rb pipe with no additional silencing just the tuned pipe body and it is loud, very loud!! although it does gives my motor great rpm for a .23 motor, it absolutely screams.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Talking STS PIPE

hey all

has anyone got a picter of a sts pipe and are they any good for a sts D3R

Thanks ross

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.