Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greenbox
u know the idea of hte magnesium chassi? Well i was being real dumb there and forgot totally that a good friend of mine was in the air force reserve as a mehcanic. he's got acces to aircraft quality machining tools and materials. Oh boy am i lucky . Looks like this magnesium chassi might be free.
Well if he wants to make some money tell him to churn out a couple of extra.

Gosh, actually if he wants...... make the price like 30 dollars , which is what most cheap chassis cost and he could hands down have the best chassis pick of them all. If anything someone would complain about it being exspensive, well we fixed that now.

Ultimate r40 chassis here we come, I hope.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Gotta love going to the track with a better car and motor and performing worse. Always makes you think about the rule of just good driving versus wasting money on parts.

Allthough I dont live by that rule, its always lovely to have it re-introduced that way. Also was this with your new 2004 r40?

Im hoping the same doesnt happen to me. It almost seems the worse I make my car, slower engines , detuned engines and slow cheap servos...my car runs better. I think it has something to do with my mind. I go out with the best stuff and I cant focus correct cause im thinking how fast it will be and how it will do and how I dont want to break 80 dollar servos versus just plain ol driving.

I know with my old r40, my stock 3003 futaba servos and motor that was so rich I couldnt get into second. I was just tearing by people like they were stopped. I had like a good 15second lead over the 2nd place guy....lol. Then once everything was prepared and good for the next race. I get 8th or something horrible and was getting hacked all day.
LOL yeah that can be the case. At big events like this the grip comes WAY up, people use their best motors and usually new motors, run low oil %ages all this stuff.

My 1st heat went OK, but I suffered from a lack of practice time (bad prep by me). So I guessed the tires and diameters and went with 38 all round at 60mm. Not good, car was near traction roll and had too much grip = slow.

My 2nd heat was going very well, had the right tires, then for some unknown reason my glowplug came loose and the engine lost power then cut. Got it going but way off the pace.

3rd heat again wrong tires (this was the next morning and I was the first round so I got a track with a little dew on it) and my brake pulley pins decided to come out and destroy the rear bulkhead!

4th heat was a good one, but I went conservative on the tires so the car would handle ok. Was .277 seconds off 30 lap pace. Most fast guys doing 30-31 and couple world class drivers in 32s.

5th heat my rear belt just ate the teeth off and I was stranded early on.

6th heat I just got hacked and ran off the track heaps. I was on 30 lap pace with my car and one other guy in my heat was, the other 8 were around 25 or so. Running in a heat with 8 much slower cars, well it aint easy.

The finals were really good. My car finally was dialled and I was driving well. I got turned over by a backmarker which dislodged a body pin and on this high speed track that aint good. My body was rubbing on right hand turns and costing me steering. The the leader came up to "lap" me and did so by centre punching me right off the track. Nice clean pass, NOT. Then as I was contending for 3rd place, and the bump up, the 3rd place guy spun in front of me on the highest speed part of the track and I hit him at 55 mph or so. Totaled the front of my body and he actually was pretty much undamaged!! I lost a ton more steering and he continued into the distance and beat me by around 1/4 of a lap.

So you really need a few things to go your way quite often, having the best prepared car helps but is not always guaranteed. The other thing that hurt my chances was that I was doing the whole thing myself. Repairs, tuning motors, cutting tires. I had no mechanic and a borrowed pitman. My pitman did a great job, but nitro is a team sport if you want to do the best you possibly can..................
Old 08-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I personally find the R40 belts to be durable. Mine only tore up since I was driving in a high debris littered lot. Other than that, I plan to buy a setup guage from someone for $60. It's a serpent and only set for sedans. Not quite sure what I'll do with the 8th and I may not just run it for a while. I like the R40 and with the upgrades I have on it right now the car is quite competative. Hey Klander how ya been!
HARK- Whats going on??? Long time no see... I've been busy here in Guatemala checking out the petroleum fields, so haven't had time to use my car. Fortunately I ordered the LW chassis and I will be installing it tomorrow. I also painted a new body for the car, check it out...
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-klanderman1.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-klanderman2.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-klanderman3.jpg  
Old 08-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

yea i'll have to get a hold of him...He lives a little far away however he come over to visit sometimes...I'll try and get a few cad drawings for the chassi design. Feel free to contribute ur own ideas
Old 08-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

anyone know where to get delrin screws things for the hub carriers? they save weight and hold in better wihtout binding. Which i have a problem with the stock ones. if i losen them so they arent binding they rattle lose.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Greenbox
anyone know where to get delrin screws things for the hub carriers? they save weight and hold in better wihtout binding. Which i have a problem with the stock ones. if i losen them so they arent binding they rattle lose.
I've had problems with this myself. There are 2 fairly easy fixes. You can use a small drop of CA once you have adjusted them. Be carefull not to use too much or it'll be hard to re adjust. The other way is to spoil the threads in the knuckle. This is what I do. I use either a 90 degree probe or a small flat head screwdriver to scratch a line into the threads.

Just a side note on the chassis. Your friend might have access to the machines for occasional personal use, and maybe even scrap materials. If he is "procuring" materials specifically for the chassis, it might not cost him anything, but SOMEBODY is paying for it. Same for the wear and tear on the machines and tooling bits.

As a business owner, I see the money walking out the door every time an employee thinks that the pens, pencils or other office supplies are FREE. They think, whats the big deal? They don't understand that there pay is directly tied to the profitability of the company. Now I don't stand over everybody counting pens and how many copies each person makes. I let them use the copy machine and plotters for occasional personal use, but there is a limit. Okay rant over.

If he gets prior clearance to use the machines and materials, then all is good.

If you and he start producing the chassis's for sale then its time to find a local machine shop to do the work for you. Maybe you can get a hold of the new and improved chassis due out this month and start making them. I'd be interested in one.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Off Topic for a second

Just curious to know about some of the "top posting" guys on this forum. You don't have to participate if you don't want to - but I am curious about your screen name, what you guys do for a living, and maybe some interesting stuff .. just trying to have some fun for a change..

AMGRacer, FastHarry, RapidRoy for starters???? Artificial-I? Anyone else?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah my post count has grown way faster than it probably should have, lol. I guess its due to the fact that I chat in the r40 thread , sts thread , the pro4 thread sometimes and poke around a few other places to generally try to help out people when I can.

As for me, I own an automotive forum / website.

I also work retail in the mall as of the moment. Steady pay & commissions + Internet pay = good. Im also going to be opening up an online rc shop soon. Going to be pretty nice, it will also contain pretty much all the info Ive come across for the r40 along with all the tips I can think of to help build and tweak the car. Basically Ive been holding back because I dont want to continue to flood the thread. Ill just shoot you guys a link and you can access all the info and hopefully add some of your own into it.

Also the shop is going to have good r40 parts support. So that ought to be a plus for everyone here, even myself .

Last edited by Artificial-I; 02-05-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
LOL yeah that can be the case. At big events like this the grip comes WAY up, people use their best motors and usually new motors, run low oil %ages all this stuff.

My 1st heat went OK, but I suffered from a lack of practice time (bad prep by me). So I guessed the tires and diameters and went with 38 all round at 60mm. Not good, car was near traction roll and had too much grip = slow.

My 2nd heat was going very well, had the right tires, then for some unknown reason my glowplug came loose and the engine lost power then cut. Got it going but way off the pace.

3rd heat again wrong tires (this was the next morning and I was the first round so I got a track with a little dew on it) and my brake pulley pins decided to come out and destroy the rear bulkhead!

4th heat was a good one, but I went conservative on the tires so the car would handle ok. Was .277 seconds off 30 lap pace. Most fast guys doing 30-31 and couple world class drivers in 32s.

5th heat my rear belt just ate the teeth off and I was stranded early on.

6th heat I just got hacked and ran off the track heaps. I was on 30 lap pace with my car and one other guy in my heat was, the other 8 were around 25 or so. Running in a heat with 8 much slower cars, well it aint easy.

The finals were really good. My car finally was dialled and I was driving well. I got turned over by a backmarker which dislodged a body pin and on this high speed track that aint good. My body was rubbing on right hand turns and costing me steering. The the leader came up to "lap" me and did so by centre punching me right off the track. Nice clean pass, NOT. Then as I was contending for 3rd place, and the bump up, the 3rd place guy spun in front of me on the highest speed part of the track and I hit him at 55 mph or so. Totaled the front of my body and he actually was pretty much undamaged!! I lost a ton more steering and he continued into the distance and beat me by around 1/4 of a lap.

So you really need a few things to go your way quite often, having the best prepared car helps but is not always guaranteed. The other thing that hurt my chances was that I was doing the whole thing myself. Repairs, tuning motors, cutting tires. I had no mechanic and a borrowed pitman. My pitman did a great job, but nitro is a team sport if you want to do the best you possibly can..................
too much excuse. Hehehe...
Truth always be cruel. LOL
Old 08-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dino.tw
too much excuse. Hehehe...
Truth always be cruel. LOL
LOL you will need to pit for me at the pre-worlds Then I will do better for sure
Old 08-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAG Racing
Just curious to know about some of the "top posting" guys on this forum. You don't have to participate if you don't want to - but I am curious about your screen name, what you guys do for a living, and maybe some interesting stuff .. just trying to have some fun for a change..

My screen name is pretty silly. When I first got into RC I bought a HPI Racer 2 which was 2nd hand. The first body I bought for it was the HPI AMG body which I really loved the look of. So AMG Racer (2) became my screen name when I signed up for the HPI forums................

My real job is pretty boring as well I work as a contractor for the government right now doing an implementation of a software package for them called SAP.

Now you see why I race RC cars for some fun
Old 08-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAG Racing

Hmmm.... Well my screen name comes from the Jim Croce song of the same name. My name is Roy too. I used to do some street racing as well and I used to play that song from time to time. I'm a gear head so RC onroad is a natural outlet. I bought my son his first RC car when he was 7 just so I could tell my wife WE were going racing.

As for work, I used to be an Architect for 10 years. Now I do structural steel shop drawings and own my own company with 4 employees.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I bought my son his first RC car when he was 7 just so I could tell my wife WE were going racing.
I have to laugh at this one ...
Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

I weighed my battery pack today. 65grams. I musta been drunk is all I can say............. I think the 42g I wrote must have been the difference between the big and small packs.................
Old 08-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

as he being a mechanic in the air force reserve he has the access and the clearence.(he even works machining things at another company as a side job). Hes made pretty neat things. mostly moldings so far but i get to test the things he makes...When i even showed my car he even eyed my chassi and said we could make one of these....9so i'll go by his word there). I cant think that it will be too much to ask for a measly prototype of a chassi. I am sure the air craft have big enough scraps or even leftovers for use...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.