Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BatJam1
Tire choice is variable Depending on track temprature for that given day and insert depends on smoothness of track suface,also depends on if your doing a 5 min qualifier or an 1/2 hour to an hour Main.
Hey Artificial your car looks great is that the upgraded chassis.?
Thanks. Its the 2004 edition, with the lightweight hpi super chassis. Thats included with the kit.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Greenbox
Artificial nice bent stinger Mine pipe looks jus like that as well. I hate them boards...curbs and other cars...
Yeah lovely isnt it. I figured out how to fix that inward bend. You must pull it out with the pipe as hot as possible.

I get needle nose pliers I stick it into the stinger and grab and pull. I also use some paper towells to help keep things from getting messed...but thats not too important to me if its scratched.

Otherwise any sort of pulling or pushing on it normally makes that kind of inward bend worse. At first my stinger was getting bent...now its pushed in like you see.

I was smacking walls last time pretty badly. I had it looking a bit better but at the start of the race when I fixed it after that I pretty much returned it back to its former self. Gotta dial the new car and get used to it.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

it also makes ur rear wobble more under speed

ditch the stock stuff, get what the woven towers were meant to use

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I need to trim a body for it, all of my bodies were trimmed for a racer2, fits the standard r40 perfect. But I might do it. I have a pro4 so I just need to borrow the mounts.

One thing I like about it though it semi acts as a rear bumper and kinda protects the upper portion of the shocks more.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

The CF rear body mounts definately look better but I goota be honest and say they are more likely to break than the stock narrow body mount design. I recently got tangled up and tumbled my car and sure enough the CF snapped. The stock rear body mount would not have been damaged. Just something to think about.

On another topic - pinion gears .. I have had recent experience using 20T/29T and 54T/60T spurs. MY second spur gear was stripped during the main and I think it is becuase of the variable pitch gearing. While most people think that you can use ANY pinion/spur gear combos; I think that I took it a little too far in going to a 8 tooth difference on the pinions with only a 6 tooth difference on the spurs. Have any of you ever run a similar gearing? I think the old rule of thumb should be used whenever gear selection is needed. My opinion and I don't have extensive data to back up my claim - but just be cautious.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

the body posts arent CF, they're off the pro4 parts tree and arent even composite. same plastics found on the bumper brace
Old 08-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

I think he is saying that he snapped his shock tower.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is HPI still coming out with a Hara Edition R40? I heard its going to be out the end of this month.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I think he is saying that he snapped his shock tower.

Thanks - Yes the CF shock tower. And I still go back with the "wide CF" body post mount cause it looks cool! Let's see what the odds are of breaking it again anytime soon.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah I also figured it would make things more suspect to snapping the cf tower. I think for racing on my shorter p-lot track Its ok to use the standard mount.

As well gives me a little extra added protection.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

gotta love snapping a CF shock tower...I snapped one on saturday with a wicked hit tumbling off the track...snapped the damn tower at the first setting mark...

so back on went the aluminum shock tower and crappy body posts...and we were back in business....

After I fixed the leaky front diff, the car was on rails and flying.....
Old 08-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

I wonder if gpms tower would last longer. It looks worth a try. Only problem is the settings...they seem to have quite a few odd holes on those things.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

I wonder if gpms tower would last longer. It looks worth a try. Only problem is the settings...they seem to have quite a few odd holes on those things.
A friend tells me the V-one RRR has a similar problem -- one solution is to purchase two and glue them together..
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAG Racing
A friend tells me the V-one RRR has a similar problem -- one solution is to purchase two and glue them together..
I was thinking about that too. But, I figure it would change how the shocks set on the rear though.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

I was thinking about that too. But, I figure it would change how the shocks set on the rear though.
You are right - You will need to add a 2mm spacer at the bottom shock mount to make the difference up.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hesky
Cheers John thats loads of help! its just like you say, I cant see rubber tires been more cost effective than foam tires, unless very hard compounds are chosen so they last significantly longer to justify there costs, but I'm not up for that myself. really cant figure out why my club decided to run rubber in favour of foams I guess I'm just gonna have to make the most out of it and get my car setup for rubbers, and be prepared to blow 40 bucks on tyres every week just for club meets, sooner that than skate around the track with crappy hard tires, bumping into stuff!

yeah your spot on!
Medial Pro tires come either separate or pre-glued. The inserts are built in the tires. Of the many tires I've tried, they work the best. I normally purchased the pre-glued set ($19/pair at my lhs) and they have a very long tread life. There are different compounds to choose from. Here is the link.

http://www.gsracing.com/web/page.asp...ducts&catid=19

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.