Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by onnetz
is everything new or does the clutch have time on it?

also could you notice a difference at all when you loosened the clutch nut?

The clutch itself has about a gallon through it at the most but looks pretty new. For what that is worth.

It makes a difference when I loosen the nut, but I can't loosen it enough to get an instant launch, it needs a few seconds, like it's in neutral. Then it gets worse as the day goes on and i adjust and adjust until I can't any more to keep it from getting worse. I am gonna take a pic and get on here.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

I would add another shim and see how that goes...
Old 04-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yup its slipping.....thats how it feels. Basically nuetral has been raised so you get a bunch of free rev then it just snaps forward.

I forgot another thing youll need to do is trim down the flywheel posts. These stick out the clutch , thats not right , trim them down until they go under the clutch.

You can tell this is happening by a nice circle marked in the clutch bell.

But yeah if its slipping , its going to glaze and just get worse. you need to score it , trim those flywheel posts and add another shim and I bet its going to work.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

I added the shim(s) and I set it like yall said and it works MUCH better now. It's a little sluggish but SO much better now. It takes off like it should now

AI- Rough up the inside of the clutchbell and trim the posts and it should be even better?

Thanks fellas for the help.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Im going to make a video on what you should do. Its hard to explain so this should knock it out. Look for it tonight or tommorrow.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1615danny
hi can anybody help i cant seem to get my rc started its brand new and has not yet been broken in im new to all this HELP thanks all/is it possible to tell is the glow start is working rite or if ive just got a faulty 1

what car?....what engine?.take the glo plug out and pop in the ignitor...see if it lights...
Old 04-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fastharry
hew brett and AMG.....how are those 05's running.....and do you (still) see a big difference between the new and old cars?...it's almost nitro season here....and I plan a full summer of racing with the r40....
Hi Fast Harry how are you?

I still love my R40 05 and havent realy been changing the setup from track to track. The pre-worlds was a disaster the car was great in the end but too much messing around with set-up's in the begining when i should have left it alone, and going from 6 qualifiers to i think 4 in the end put me behind the eight ball. The car was great in the final and we were leading for a bump up, but a t-bone from a lapped car sent me off in to what must have been the only part of the grass infield which was still wet from the rain, (it rained alot) which shut down the spektrum and that was it for me.
I was a bit dissapointed to be the only driver running the r40 but i think with the electric worlds across the other side of the planet we wernt going to see any team drivers there.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin West
brett, were you using a modified 12TZ or a standard one?
Standard, why you want one dont you!
Old 04-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

hew brett and AMG.....how are those 05's running.....and do you (still) see a big difference between the new and old cars?...it's almost nitro season here....and I plan a full summer of racing with the r40....
Well there are no big gains to be made running the 05 spec, but it is for sure faster. Overall it is much more consistent and easier to drive hard, so I suspect that while you will not notice a huge drop in your best lap, your average lap should reduce.

The biggest tendency that I have noticed is that it does not seem to have the mid corner "understeer/wander" that the old car could sometimes get. If you have not noticed this on your current car, mayby the 04 model will be perfectly fine for your track..........
Old 04-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

With the clutch issue above, most of the problems with the clutch seems to come from the shoe material. The HPI shoe is pretty hard and also black which causes two problems.

Firstly cause it is so hard it is quite difficult to stop it slipping in some way. I could never get a clutch engagement that suited me for a grippy track, but on the other hand the shoe works quite well on slippery tracks I guess.

Secondly because it is black you cannot really tell whether it has gotten glazed or burned out. Clutch shoes do wear out long before they physically wear out.

This is why I have been experimenting with the Mugen clutch, basically you have a much wider range of clutch shoe choices. You can fit the shoes to the HPI clutch, but I got sick of reaming the holes out.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Talking R-40 outlaw!!

Hey fellas, if you ever want to run Outlaw with your R-40 just drop a OS TZ.18 in her, then look out!! To make this engine swap work you need some CRC 35 mm wide rims and some Serpent 25 shore rear donuts , mount the donuts on the rim cut off the excess foam from the rim then true the tire down on a tire truer put some traction compound on the tires set them to the side for a while. If you don't have the 4 bevel gear rear diff mod do it and remove the rear sway bar this setup should give you enough traction to hook up this Frankenstien creation just put on the rear tires and head to the track hurt some people feelings because this car is fast I estimate I was doing 65-70 mph. I am going to hook up my speedo and measure my speed. Here is CRC website for tires and rims http://www.teamcrc.com

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 04-09-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Well there are no big gains to be made running the 05 spec, but it is for sure faster. Overall it is much more consistent and easier to drive hard, so I suspect that while you will not notice a huge drop in your best lap, your average lap should reduce.

The biggest tendency that I have noticed is that it does not seem to have the mid corner "understeer/wander" that the old car could sometimes get. If you have not noticed this on your current car, mayby the 04 model will be perfectly fine for your track..........

Took the 05 out today for it's maiden voyage. BLAH!!!!! I was having a 2spd problem all day. I ran 1/2 of my 1st qualifier and sat out the other 2. I don't know what happened. Upon inspection I found that the 3 screws for the 2nd gear housing were not sitting flush. I couldn't get the screws to sit flush, so I swapped it out with one from my 04 Spec. I also pulled and swapped over the clutch shoes and clutch shoe boss since I had it set pretty good before.
So before the qualifier, I fire it up. At slow rev to when 2 spd engages, the drivetrain rolls. After 2nd gauge engages, it seems like the motor just wants to unwind and the drivetrain stops rolling . First I thought it was the engine clutch slipping, but I saw the 2spd gears spinning but the wheels weren't moving. (BTW...I stayed up real late last night to put the car together...so I though I probably really screwed something up.) First thought that came to mind was maybe I forgot a cross pin. NOPE, otherwise it wouldn't move at all.....but at low speed with sloooowww acceleration the car moves. I finally took the 2sped assembly apart since I wasn't going to be racing today. I found that the hole where the ball is held in place by a set screw (to space the cluth shoes apart) had worn away and had elongated. I believed this caused the clutch shoe boss to spin once in a while. And that explains that when I would rev the motor really high and fast and let it go back to idle, I would feel and hear a loud click. Other than that when the 2 spd was funtioning properly (only for the first few laps) the car handled and cornered great.

AS AMGRacer pointed out the mid corner push went away, and the car felt so much more balanced left to right. Can't believe those few little changes (actually big) made that much of a difference.

Thanks guys for letting me vent.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone know where I can get a clutch shoe for the 2 spd? I 've searched most online stores and it seems the only way to get it is to buy the whole assemble. I had a spare one but it got screwed up. I knew I should have picked up a couple extra shoes while I was in Japan.....

Anyways, the part# is 87175. Hopefully I can get it in by this weekend.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would call HPI in the morning and ask them to send you a set....just tell them they were defective.....taht you have the 05....you race the HPI challenge...you know the drill..
Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would call HPI in the morning and ask them to send you a set....just tell them they were defective.....taht you have the 05....you race the HPI challenge...you know the drill..
Hmmm..you think. I'll give them a call tomorrow!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.