Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
For which there are a PLETHORA of classes...TC, WGT, 1/12, RCGT, etc where you can (and are encouraged to) spend it all in search of speed.
What I meant was by EVERYBODY having to invest money in new equipment to slow us down. Since this argument obviously goes a lot deeper than issues with "juiced" esc and not only includes them but the motor and possibly battery too.

Originally Posted by Scottrik
VTA is the ONE class in ALL of RC that was INTENTIONALLY set up to be COMPARATIVELY sloooooow.
Thats not true, there has been and still is many sloooooow spec classes in rc Why don't you go race mini coopers? There's a slow going tight racing all spec class that already well established.

I'll say again 2s lipos and brushless motors is the best thing that ever happened to VTA and was absolutely necessary for the success and growth of the class. Everybody was tired of buying and tweaking on brushed motors and babysitting junk ass round cells that's why EVERYBODY jumped ship when the technology came available.

Originally Posted by smokefan
Then when the speed controls that are upgradeable first came out why were they not INTENTIONALLY outlawed to begin with. Thus saving all this disagreement. I like many don't have a issue with the current speed. Now saying that I think they should not go any faster. The horse done left the barn and your going to have a hell of a time getting it back in now.

Exactly! The best thing for the class is gonna be to divide it into 2 groups, because I think your gonna have a hell of a time slowing the fast guys down. Especially the ones like myself that are happy with the class and speeds just the way they are.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JKRacing37
Really? So why not race, and at the end of the night every racer's name gets drawn out of a hat to determine the winner and top three.

Sad thing is, my chances of finally winning would improve 100% under that system!
You are not alone in that department, my friend!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by speedster1919
Funny I can change my Havoc drag brake setting faster than a computer will boot up and I don't have to pull any wires. A new brushless motor would cost 75 -100 dollars. Teching takes plenty of time and mad racers. The simple 90-100 dollar fix.

Novak Havoc or XRB only speedo. I check the reman novak site from time to time and I don't see havoc's always offered. That tells me their is not hundreds of them availible. And yes if someone was suggesting only 1 kind of speedo I didn't have or like it, might be a problem for me too.

The thing is I have LOSI, SP, CC and Novak and Novak's is the rock o gibralter. Checking to see what version a certain esc is programed too seems like such a cluster orgy. Brushed is about a year from being exstink and I love brushless motors that can't be tweaked very much. Just my .02
Our Havoc 2S new is 79.99 and reman is 59.99. You are correct as to availability; we do have to put stuff on pre-order occasionally and then ship when we get some into inventory. We have a reman department to supply both our service option replacement program and our store.

As a manufacturer with over thirty years in the R/C industry, Novak is concerned with the hobby's ability to grow; attract and maintain new "customers" and also new series participants. Companies cannot stay in business by simply selling new, expensive products to existing racers; we need to offer affordable equipment for the newcomers.

That is the reasoning behind our Havoc series products. Not everyone wants to invest 200.00 to 400.00 in an esc without knowing whether, or not, the R/C hobby is something they want to pursue. In addition, spending endless hours learning all the tricks and PC updates to keep a high-end esc competitive is not how everyone wants to enjoy the sport. Some of these programming threads are 7K to 8K comments long!

A third issue (in addition to price and complexity) is potential equipment damage---to both electronics and vehicles. This damage can be very frustrating and hard on the wallet. We have seen much more BL motor damage (from over-heating) with the introduction of advanced timing options; this is why we designed our new Ballistics with replacement wound stators and rotors.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here in Grand Rapids Michigan we use the spirit of the VTA rule. The guys that have the Tekins only use timing advance and no boost. I turned up the timing on my balistic and with my Novak XBR esc, after 8 mins was only 1 lap down running a car that is nine years old. They basically used the same rules that Cleveland did(I believe) and I don't plan on getting a new speedo any time soon. No boost solved all the problems for us. With any car it is going to come down to setup and driver. The 2 things I have the biggest problem with. I absolutely love this class and it got me back into onroad after many years off.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lenman73
Here in Grand Rapids Michigan we use the spirit of the VTA rule. The guys that have the Tekins only use timing advance and no boost. I turned up the timing on my balistic and with my Novak XBR esc, after 8 mins was only 1 lap down running a car that is nine years old. They basically used the same rules that Cleveland did(I believe) and I don't plan on getting a new speedo any time soon. No boost solved all the problems for us. With any car it is going to come down to setup and driver. The 2 things I have the biggest problem with. I absolutely love this class and it got me back into onroad after many years off.

I too have raced at places where the turbo wasn't legal. No body complained, the turbo is REAL easy to see and tech if you think somebody's running it, nothing subtle about it.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Personally, if you slow them down below 21.5/2s LiPo speeds, I'll quit running it because it will be boring (one of our outdoor tracks typically has straightaways longer than 150'). Slowing them down to where everybody can drive them easily just means the driver doesn't matter anymore, and all that does matter is how well you turn the wrenches in the pits. I've seen this in oval pan car racing, every time they changed rules to slow the cars down the driver mattered less than the "setup".

On another subject (this one's for RobK), are the Novak Heat Sink Motor Sleeves (#5414) considered legal?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Like Kevin said, any slower would be kind of boring. Right now we are going fast enough to keep it interesting and not so fast every time we hit a border we break something. Would the talk of slowing it down even be a conversation without esc's with boost? If the answer is no seems pretty simple to solve. Ban the boost, no one has to go buy anything else or get rid of anything to run one manu's product. If one track for the weekly club race wants to run balls out then so be but that is one small fish in a huge pond.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
Personally, if you slow them down below 21.5/2s LiPo speeds, I'll quit running it because it will be boring (one of our outdoor tracks typically has straightaways longer than 150'). Slowing them down to where everybody can drive them easily just means the driver doesn't matter anymore, and all that does matter is how well you turn the wrenches in the pits. I've seen this in oval pan car racing, every time they changed rules to slow the cars down the driver mattered less than the "setup".

On another subject (this one's for RobK), are the Novak Heat Sink Motor Sleeves (#5414) considered legal?
+1
This is my first venture into road racing, (off-road for years). There is an indoor carpet track close to my house so this winter I decided to run road course instead of off-road. Pulled the GTB out of my Losi truck, bought a Ballistic 21.5, got an X-ray T2 and went VTA racing. I love it, but if the rules start changing and making it more of an expense just to slow down or control the class more I will go back to off-road.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

results of the 2009 Thunder Christmas 750 VTA Enduro
http://results.rc50.com/Thunder_RC_N...le/12-27-2009/

some pictures
http://www.nashrcracer.com/coppermin...s.php?album=37

and my Brad Johnson pose
Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you don't get me some new bodies... I quit. If you don't make a rule no more than 2 red cars allowed in a race.... I'm gonna Quit! Havoc Sports only or... I QUIT! Slow the cars down or.... I'll just have to go faster... or QUIT!

I hope you don't miss me............
Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i miss you already
Old 12-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
i miss you already
I'm getting all teary eyed!.. Ooops just the onions in the kitchen.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hurricane All-Star Carpet Series & Midwest VTA series Trans AM results so far.....7 total VTA races with 5 in the books....

We have held races in 3 states.....WI, IN and IL with 58 different drivers racing in the series all together. The battle for the top slot is tight......needless to say VTA in the midwest is alive and kickin ass

Keep up the good work Mr King.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 12-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Hurricane All-Star Carpet Series & Midwest VTA series Trans AM results so far.....7 total VTA races with 5 in the books....

We have held races in 3 states.....WI, IN and IL with 58 different drivers racing in the series all together. The battle for the top slot is tight......needless to say VTA in the midwest is alive and kickin ass

Keep up the good work Mr King.
You guys need to get a race down in Indy some time...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BadSign
You guys need to get a race down in Indy some time...
I agree. I've heard a lot of great things about the new track there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.