Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Dude you are seeing things. Look closely at a blowup of the 1/12th car. There is a big deans connector near the rx pack but the wires from it go to the speedo, not the rx pack. The wires from the rx pack go to a normal radio connector hanging loose near the front of the car. It obviously plugs into the connector on top of the servo. Those wires go to the receiver.
You need to look closer,,,, the receiver only has 3 plugs in it, Esc, Servo, and Transponder. you have to look close, but you can see the wires going into the esc.
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HB Moose
If I had the electrical know how maybe we could charge up a cap above the 3.7 from the battery. Isn't that what the Novak smart booster doing? Then feed it back to the motor for a little extra kick.

voltage boosters kill amps. If you double the volts you cut the amps in half.
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Here is the wiring schematics I found for it.
Dude, congratulations. You won one argument. Now drop it before you get this thread closed.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

If you wire a 2s pack in parallel with a 1s pack, the 2s pack will try to charge the 1s pack and things go boom.
They invented these strange alien devices called diodes...crazy how the stop electrons from flowing.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife
You need to look closer,,,, the receiver only has 3 plugs in it, Esc, Servo, and Transponder. you have to look close, but you can see the wires going into the esc.
I already pointed that out. Try reading ALL the posts before you reply.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I did, you guys are on a roll.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Dude, congratulations. You won one argument. Now drop it before you get this thread closed.
Is this from the guy who closed the 'case' with a photo that showed it was wired in there...lol.

Poking fun isn't closing threads.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Is this from the guy who closed the 'case' with a photo that showed it was wired in there...lol.

Poking fun isn't closing threads.
No but attacking other people instead of discussing the issues will get the thread closed. I suggest you move on before Marcos gets involved. Sure it's fun for you but I promise you he will see it differently.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

You can boost voltage, but the amount of power you use goes up slightly to compensate for the losses. You could build a big version of the boosters into a speed control, but you will start trading run time for the speed. Will also require a big booster circuit. Look at how big the TQ and novak boosters are and they only have 1.5 and 3 amps max. With the speed control that small there is no way that there is a booster circuit in there.

You cant power from a 180 mah pack for very long. Heck on my oval car I use 80 mah per 5 min run just to run the servo and transponder. That isnt going to be more than a few seconds to the motor.

On brushless motors the speed control switching controls the field around the arm. So the speed control makes or breaks how your motor runs. Not like the brushless days where they were just a on/off switch in the negative side.

John
Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

No but attacking other people instead of discussing the issues will get the thread closed. I suggest you move on before Marcos gets involved. Sure it's fun for you but I promise you he will see it differently.
If I were wearing boots I'd not be shaking in them...how about closing it for people making up stuff they know nothing about, or seen in person?

I'm not attacking you, I'm explaining something and debating with others while other people just make stuff up and point out things incorrectly. If you want to join in the conversation you have to be able to defend your point or offer some sort of information. If you join in and make stuff up based on a picture and not being there...you should expect some sort of comment about it.

So my advice before my dad gets home is read the posts and don't comment.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

lmao , this thread started out good but now we know who are the ones ruining it,

no need to close the thread (well not just yet)
Old 09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Look at that photo carefully. The personal transponder goes to the rx, the battery goes to the switch, then esc.

I have seen a bunch of arguements about this for 1s oval cars. Some were claiming that you could pick up extra voltage through the **receiver** even. I think the amp draw would fry the wire and receiver before anything good happened. Even here, it doesn't look like the wire is anymore than 24ga. How is it going to carry the amp draw? They are also passing everything through the switch as well, which would be dumb, not to mention the solder joints and cheesy J connector.

That being said, going straight to the esc looks suspicious, if only because we have never seen that before. I would be a lot more alarmed if it was hooked up with 18ga wire and a decent connector...
Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Lord

Ok, enough of this crud, back on topic. I am not saying it is impossible to directly feed some power from the rx pack to the motor. It is doable but impractical due to the low capacity of the pack and a few other issues. Now another possible way to do it that might actually work well is to use the rx pack to charge a capacitor. Then when you nail the throttle off of a corner that could be fed to the motor for a nice little boost. That just might work.

That being said, I do not believe that is what they are doing. I see no diodes or regulators in there so it makes sense that the esc has a regulator in it (as most esc's do) and they have wired into it to drop the voltage. Yes I could be wrong, I didn't design the thing but that is the simplest explanation.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
lmao , this thread started out good but now we know who are the ones ruining it,

no need to close the thread (well not just yet)
I'll assume that was directed at me...the one who saw and can discuss things that are true....ban/close the ones trying to point out and inform...awesome.

The internet is awesome.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

I'll assume that was directed at me...the one who saw and can discuss things that are true....ban/close the ones trying to point out and inform...awesome.

The internet is awesome.
Derek you know what happens when you assume

never mention anything about a ban but the night is still young and I got no where else to go

Lets get back to the topic.

plus, how are they going to tech the software?? will there be a limit on timing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.