Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If (and that's a huge if) something weird was going on, why wait for 1s lipo to do it. Wouldn't it have benefited 4 cell racers as well back in the day?

Regards,
Carter
Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The thing everyone of you guys miss
is...

The beginner racer ....

He's has to deal with all of this and my money is on the fact that all the new blood on-road has destroy will continue to dry up ...

Beginner's are't gona pay for it if they can't be competitive....

Stock ? Spec ?

Gona die ....

Long live the Mod class's.....
My worst experience with an ESC was last Tuesday when my esc thermalled at 145 degrees F. while I was in first place in rubber sedan. This was the same ESC that I had to pull out of my 1/12th because it wouldn't arm with my brand new Duo 2. It also wouldn't arm with my Orion motor before that.(A little software flexibility would have gone a long way here.)

Now I have to save up for a new Tekin, just like I had to in WGT. My Tekin RS has been one of the few items that I'm really happy with. I also found it really easy to get the latest software.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

this has to be the funniest thread i have ever read lets look at facts the crc guys have put in a ton of testing the last month with brian flying out to denver to do aLL night test sesions on a similarsized track thier cars were all good and they are all good drivers

facts

brian probally should of not of been running 17.5 but o well he did and won

speedo is good but right from his mouth a spx was just as fast just weight more

if a reciever pack was wired in to a motor direct it would be good for one maybe two laps then blow up because of the drain

and looks at the group of people bitchin$ they all run for the same two companys
Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave@RCIS
something sounds weird there. if they were using the receiver pack voltage it ios easy enough for tech to measure voltage out put of the speedo
It's not that easy to tech anything. Voltage increases are huge in racing. We used to fight over batteries with .01 more volts. So if that can bump up the volts (which is KV rating) you could get a big advantage and not see that on a free load voltage test.

any racer knows that power is from batteries and every .01 volt matters.

It's all complaining that this point, and it's cool to see somebody come up with that...also who knows if people used that before...but we didn't really have LIPO packs when everybody was running 4-cell.

As mentioned...ROAR rules do say (although it's not clear) that the RX can only power the ESC and Radio...who knows what it does. Who knows what rules.

They brought something new and won with it. I said that 100 times at the race...rules are meant to be stretched and pushed. Somebody had a part that made them quicker. The bad thing about that is...it forces everybody to buy new equipment just to restore the normal finishing order.

Good and bad.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hahaha smyka you beat me to it i was going to say the same thing
Old 09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by smyka
this has to be the funniest thread i have ever read lets look at facts the crc guys have put in a ton of testing the last month with brian flying out to denver to do aLL night test sesions on a similarsized track thier cars were all good and they are all good drivers

facts

brian probally should of not of been running 17.5 but o well he did and won

speedo is good but right from his mouth a spx was just as fast just weight more

if a reciever pack was wired in to a motor direct it would be good for one maybe two laps then blow up because of the drain

and looks at the group of people bitchin$ they all run for the same two companys
I said the same about the battery, but I've never tested what a 180-300mah 2S lipo and 1S 5000mah lipo will do...I'm assuming since they can be combined that the voltage will go up...and the MAH are shared.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Last season I went to Cleveland and to the carpet nats with a regular LRP speedo and found myself to be behind the 8-ball as compared to those with the tekins and the newer lrp's with boost or adjustable timing. In spite of that, I still managed respectable results at both events and I had fun. Being a cheap bastard, I stubbornly continued to run the older speedo at our home tracks since I suspected that something even better would come along soon enough. Thankfully I found that careful gearing could overcome most of the speedo defecit at least for club racing and I've remained compeditive even with an older LRP. But now it seems crystal clear that the "new and improved" must-have speedo technology has arrived. There's just no sense to pretend that it's not here now. Thank goodness that I didn't invest in the intermediate solution. Now I can skip right over step two and jump directly from step one to step three. So long as the trick new speedos make these slow ass 17.5 1cell lipo cars fast enough to be fun again, I'm all for it. Heck, nobody promised a pain free transition to the new technology. I'm still glad to be done with the motor lathe and the boxes of stock motors and bags of experimental brushes. It's all good. Let's race!!! We were not promised painless. And we were also not promised cheap. Everybody knows that speed costs. This is nothing new. So the age old question remains for each participant to decide....."How fast do you want to go"? Personally, I wanna go real fast and I hope that Frank is planning to distribute the new speedos so that we can all get one and join in on the fun. I want to place my order now. It's almost time for the East Coast series and I'd like to have power this season that's a little closer to the TQ guy (who by the way always seems to be running a CRC car).
Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vafactor
Last season I went to Cleveland and to the carpet nats with a regular LRP speedo and found myself to be behind the 8-ball as compared to those with the tekins and the newer lrp's with boost or adjustable timing. In spite of that, I still managed respectable results at both events and I had fun. Being a cheap bastard, I stubbornly continued to run the older speedo at our home tracks since I suspected that something even better would come along soon enough. Thankfully I found that careful gearing could overcome most of the speedo defecit at least for club racing and I've remained compeditive even with an older LRP. But now it seems crystal clear that the "new and improved" must-have speedo technology has arrived. There's just no sense to pretend that it's not here now. Thank goodness that I didn't invest in the intermediate solution. Now I can skip right over step two and jump directly from step one to step three. So long as the trick new speedos make these slow ass 17.5 1cell lipo cars fast enough to be fun again, I'm all for it. Heck, nobody promised a pain free transition to the new technology. I'm still glad to be done with the motor lathe and the boxes of stock motors and bags of experimental brushes. It's all good. Let's race!!! We were not promised painless. And we were also not promised cheap. Everybody knows that speed costs. This is nothing new. So the age old question remains for each participant to decide....."How fast do you want to go"? Personally, I wanna go real fast and I hope that Frank is planning to distribute the new speedos so that we can all get one and join in on the fun. I want to place my order now. It's almost time for the East Coast series and I'd like to have power this season that's a little closer to the TQ guy (who by the way always seems to be running a CRC car).
The whole idea of 1S lipo was to slow things down. 17.5 not fast enough? Run 13.5...not fast enough run 10.5...not fast enough run....MOD.

Why do we want the slow "beginner" class to be the speed of something faster?

Right now I'm trying to find a RX pack and a 1S to connect to see what the Volts do. If it bumps voltage it's not "software" it's using a RX pack to bump power. My stuff from Vegas is spread between two spots so I have to try and find batteries.

And you can take the rule to say "no external batteries" and therefore it is cheating...which I'm not saying matters but lets not justify cheating as a "expense"

Last edited by DerekB; 09-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you hook a 1s and 2s pack together in series you will see a lot more voltage (3s), but if that 2s pack is only 200mah or so, it wont have that voltage for long. The whole thing is dumb. There are much better ways to boost voltage, using a tiny little rx pack would not work very well.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
And job well done. Looking forward to running both my GenX's this winter.

Now where can I get that speedo?
Does someone have a picture of the CRC speedo in mention?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

thne drive it and see how long it takes for the reciever pack to blow up brian was running a 180 mha pack
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Someone posted a pic in the iic thread somewhere. Sorry but I'm not digging for it.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Picture links above.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Since we are on the conspirious theory, how do we know that
the said rx pack was only 200mah. Maybe Brian was a bot, and just
was there in tangible form, then was some where else driving remote
from somewhere else. HMMMM enquiring minds want to know. This thread
has made my unemployement much more enjoyable.

Dynodan22
Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Picture links above.
The 12th scale seems to have the heatsink ground down more than the WGT car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.