Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Derek, you have a PM. If you want to gloat some more, use that instead.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Im confused, and I may have missed it, but did someone answer if this is a prototype or a production ESC that is hard to get? If it is available, where?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Im confused, and I may have missed it, but did someone answer if this is a prototype or a production ESC that is hard to get? If it is available, where?
It's a proto-type...CRC is going to import the production. You can't have one yet.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

i was running one in my car, the rx pack plugs directly into the speedo because the speedo has the regulator built in.

kenny l - it is not that we were unwilling to do so. the fact of the matter is that without the rx pack plugged into the speedo, the spedo would not work. much the same way that your tekin will not work without the switch on. had we wired the rx pack directly to the receiver, the srevo would run on 7.4 v. and still,by the way, send 7.4volts back to the speedo. we went over this in tech with the tech team and they came to the same conclusion. for the record, when i first put mine into my car, i tried to run without an rx pack just a booster, and the speedo would not function. even if the rx pack would run throug a regulator, then to the reciever, then to the speedo, you would still be sending more than 3.7v to the speedo, just like everyone else.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Were they really that much faster? I mean look at how skinny those motor wires are...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by al dente
i was running one in my car, the rx pack plugs directly into the speedo because the speedo has the regulator built in.

kenny l - it is not that we were unwilling to do so. the fact of the matter is that without the rx pack plugged into the speedo, the spedo would not work. much the same way that your tekin will not work without the switch on. had we wired the rx pack directly to the receiver, the srevo would run on 7.4 v. and still,by the way, send 7.4volts back to the speedo. we went over this in tech with the tech team and they came to the same conclusion. for the record, when i first put mine into my car, i tried to run without an rx pack just a booster, and the speedo would not function. even if the rx pack would run throug a regulator, then to the reciever, then to the speedo, you would still be sending more than 3.7v to the speedo, just like everyone else.
There 100% is a way to run it normally, and for the record the Tekin works just fine without a switch. I have 2 cars running off the LIPO RX pack into the RX It didn't need to be on when the power from it is coming from the other side. EVERY Brushless system is still "ON" without the switch saying "ON" ...it won't work but power is available.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by veecee
Were they really that much faster? I mean look at how skinny those motor wires are...

What? Everybody is running 1 gauge wire in 1/12...they are lighter, more flexible and don't get warm. Having too thick of wire is a waste and has more resistance.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
What? Everybody is running 1 gauge wire in 1/12...they are lighter, more flexible and don't get warm. Having too thick of wire is a waste and has more resistance.
Since when do thicker wires have more resistance?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
plus, how are they going to tech the software?? will there be a limit on timing?
This is why I'm watching this thread.

Also, I remember resistance and wire gauges as the bigger the wire,
the less resistance it has. The only way I remember this is to think of the current flowing through the wire in terms of water flowing in a pipe. Smaller pipes have more resistance to water flow, just like smaller wires have more electrical resistance.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

veecee - the thing is top fuel.

derek - you are wrong. we tried it to avoid the controversy. sorry if you were not there to see it.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

hey beer... i need help on cod
Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by veecee
Since when do thicker wires have more resistance?
We're dealing with low voltage. Think of a giant building size block of copper...if you connect 3.8 volts to it that doesn't mean it's more efficient. In the grand scheme of what we are dealing with the heavier wire offers NO advantage to run. So I am wrong in the terms of "less resistance" and should have used wasted energy.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
This is why I'm watching this thread.

Also, I remember resistance and wire gauges as the bigger the wire,
the less resistance it has. The only way I remember this is to think of the current flowing through the wire in terms of water flowing in a pipe. Smaller pipes have more resistance to water flow, just like smaller wires have more electrical resistance.

Water is a bad example...that doesn't take into account flow rate. You can have more water coming out of a smaller pipe since the water being used depends on what's on both ends.

A giant pipe will have a slower velocity of water. A rocket uses this to get the thrust faster...your car exhaust does similar. Exhaust gas velocity is no 100% dependent of pipe size.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

We're dealing with low voltage. Think of a giant building size block of copper...if you connect 3.8 volts to it that doesn't mean it's more efficient. In the grand scheme of what we are dealing with the heavier wire offers NO advantage to run. So I am wrong in the terms of "less resistance" and should have used wasted energy.
Voltage doesn't matter. You can put 50,000,000 volts through a wire smaller than a human hair. It's current (amp draw) that determines the needed gauge of wire. But you are correct, no need to go over 16 gauge. It does the job, is more flexible and weighs less.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Voltage doesn't matter. You can put 50,000,000 volts through a wire smaller than a human hair. It's current (amp draw) that determines the needed gauge of wire. But you are correct, no need to go over 16 gauge. It does the job, is more flexible and weighs less.
yes, and to be more specific frequency also makes a difference. I'm not sure where we fall on brushless but since we've run ESCs at higher frequency voltage I'll be it also follow AC wire physics and only really flows on the outside skin of the wire...making thickness not as important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.