Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree367Likes

Serpent X20

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes the car is very soft even if you have alu version. I have alu and I have problem with traction roll too. I raced on ETS black carpet in modified(open) category. We used Sweep R3 32 tires. I will post detail things what i tried and what help, but now I am at work. I tried to create some stiffeners on 3d printer. I helps, but the plast is still soft.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 3d printed bracers

Hi, Here is my chassis bracers. It is made from PLA. It helps little bit, but it is too soft. It is first version. Next version will have more material and I have plan to use another material, which is harder. I think that I will put it somewhere on web after I test another version.

Next thing is to cut the bottom bumper holder. I already cut it, but it is needed more. On one picture is red line, where i plan to cut it, because I have rubber on it from carpet, when it touch ground in corners. It is definitely not good.

I try add more shims under front upper arm holder and less in the rear to help again traction roll. But best thing is, to reduce steering lock. (Alex Hagberg wrote about this on FB today) I change it on radio, because if you realize just before start, that you have problem, reduce steering should help you do the current round. On last race, I reduced by 10% and it help a lot and I have no problem with understeer. I don't like to use glue on side of tires.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Interesting and thank you for your input. I have the X brace for the rear I think I might try.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian10811
Interesting and thank you for your input. I have the X brace for the rear I think I might try.
Did you glue the edge of the tires? What else did you try?
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hmax
Hi, Here is my chassis bracers. It is made from PLA. It helps little bit, but it is too soft. It is first version. Next version will have more material and I have plan to use another material, which is harder. I think that I will put it somewhere on web after I test another version.

Next thing is to cut the bottom bumper holder. I already cut it, but it is needed more. On one picture is red line, where i plan to cut it, because I have rubber on it from carpet, when it touch ground in corners. It is definitely not good.

I try add more shims under front upper arm holder and less in the rear to help again traction roll. But best thing is, to reduce steering lock. (Alex Hagberg wrote about this on FB today) I change it on radio, because if you realize just before start, that you have problem, reduce steering should help you do the current round. On last race, I reduced by 10% and it help a lot and I have no problem with understeer. I don't like to use glue on side of tires.
Are you running the ETS tires on the ETS carpet? If your on CRC black you pretty much have to glue the sidewalls, but if your on ETS carpet, besides getting the car stiffer, I would put 30 grams of lead in the nose of the car. Right in the front bumber, cut a notch out for it. That alone will do miracles.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Are you running the ETS tires on the ETS carpet? If your on CRC black you pretty much have to glue the sidewalls, but if your on ETS carpet, besides getting the car stiffer, I would put 30 grams of lead in the nose of the car. Right in the front bumber, cut a notch out for it. That alone will do miracles.
I think that it is ETS carpet. I dont like glue sidewalls. The behavior of the car is different and you cant then use tires next time on lower grip for practice.
Thanks for tip with weight, I will try that. I have weights under steering lever, but I understand, that more in front before axel help.
For me was miracle with reducing steering on radio. I will also prepare some wider shims under ball on steeringrack to limit end lock, which use Alex Hagberg on Xray.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by corallyman
Did you glue the edge of the tires? What else did you try?
yes I glued the edge. In fact I kept going higher and higher. It helped but still felt on edge of tipping. I also kept increasing upper roll centers.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian10811
yes I glued the edge. In fact I kept going higher and higher. It helped but still felt on edge of tipping. I also kept increasing upper roll centers.
On black CRC carpet, glueing the sidewalls is one of the most important things to do. If the traction is high enough then glue all the sidewall. At some races, the fastest guys even glue onto the racing surface of the tire itself. Another possible thing to try is to widen the car, that helps too.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by corallyman
On black CRC carpet, glueing the sidewalls is one of the most important things to do. If the traction is high enough then glue all the sidewall. At some races, the fastest guys even glue onto the racing surface of the tire itself. Another possible thing to try is to widen the car, that helps too.
Yes I did widen the car front and back. I started off with 184 front and rear and moved out but it did not help. In fact I am not sure it helped at all. I adjusted prings which did not help so I went back to the stock springs. It did help by laying down the rear shocks and standing up the fronts to full upright on the shock tower. I kept the arms setting for the shocks the same as setup.
Is it wrong of me to think the car had to much flex for a carbon chassis? If i were to do it again. I would add the arms graphite stiffeners and I have a rear X brace that fits on the chassis just behind the motor. Would this have helped?
Old 12-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Brian10811, this might sound like an off the wall question but how many layers of glue were you running. Many times on high bite CRC black carpet you have to get the right diameter of glue as well as the right thickness. Sometimes one layer is just too thin. Unfortunately though if you are going to run black carpet might want to invest in an alloy chassis.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Brian10811, this might sound like an off the wall question but how many layers of glue were you running. Many times on high bite CRC black carpet you have to get the right diameter of glue as well as the right thickness. Sometimes one layer is just too thin. Unfortunately though if you are going to run black carpet might want to invest in an alloy chassis.
I would say 3 layers. I started close to edge of rim then moved to middle and top. Perhaps the AL chassis is way to go for black carpet.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:44 PM
ha5
Tech Initiate

Is this a runing change?

Are from my second car:

Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ha5
Is this a runing change?

Are from my second car:

Not seeing it.....what is the difference?
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Uninstalled shock is slightly thinner in diameter but longer
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 PM
ha5
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Uninstalled shock is slightly thinner in diameter but longer
The measures are the same, only change the bottle color, feel smother whit the pistón then the previus damper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.