Like Tree347Likes

Serpent X20

Old 12-02-2019, 11:57 PM
  #181  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Yes the car is very soft even if you have alu version. I have alu and I have problem with traction roll too. I raced on ETS black carpet in modified(open) category. We used Sweep R3 32 tires. I will post detail things what i tried and what help, but now I am at work. I tried to create some stiffeners on 3d printer. I helps, but the plast is still soft.
Brian10811 likes this.
hmax is offline  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:36 PM
  #182  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Default 3d printed bracers

Hi, Here is my chassis bracers. It is made from PLA. It helps little bit, but it is too soft. It is first version. Next version will have more material and I have plan to use another material, which is harder. I think that I will put it somewhere on web after I test another version.

Next thing is to cut the bottom bumper holder. I already cut it, but it is needed more. On one picture is red line, where i plan to cut it, because I have rubber on it from carpet, when it touch ground in corners. It is definitely not good.

I try add more shims under front upper arm holder and less in the rear to help again traction roll. But best thing is, to reduce steering lock. (Alex Hagberg wrote about this on FB today) I change it on radio, because if you realize just before start, that you have problem, reduce steering should help you do the current round. On last race, I reduced by 10% and it help a lot and I have no problem with understeer. I don't like to use glue on side of tires.






hmax is offline  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 PM
  #183  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Brian10811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Interesting and thank you for your input. I have the X brace for the rear I think I might try.
dawgmeat likes this.
Brian10811 is offline  
Old 12-03-2019, 07:33 PM
  #184  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (101)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,690
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Brian10811 View Post
Interesting and thank you for your input. I have the X brace for the rear I think I might try.
Did you glue the edge of the tires? What else did you try?
Brian10811 likes this.
corallyman is offline  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 PM
  #185  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hmax View Post
Hi, Here is my chassis bracers. It is made from PLA. It helps little bit, but it is too soft. It is first version. Next version will have more material and I have plan to use another material, which is harder. I think that I will put it somewhere on web after I test another version.

Next thing is to cut the bottom bumper holder. I already cut it, but it is needed more. On one picture is red line, where i plan to cut it, because I have rubber on it from carpet, when it touch ground in corners. It is definitely not good.

I try add more shims under front upper arm holder and less in the rear to help again traction roll. But best thing is, to reduce steering lock. (Alex Hagberg wrote about this on FB today) I change it on radio, because if you realize just before start, that you have problem, reduce steering should help you do the current round. On last race, I reduced by 10% and it help a lot and I have no problem with understeer. I don't like to use glue on side of tires.
Are you running the ETS tires on the ETS carpet? If your on CRC black you pretty much have to glue the sidewalls, but if your on ETS carpet, besides getting the car stiffer, I would put 30 grams of lead in the nose of the car. Right in the front bumber, cut a notch out for it. That alone will do miracles.
Johnny Wishbone is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:53 AM
  #186  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Are you running the ETS tires on the ETS carpet? If your on CRC black you pretty much have to glue the sidewalls, but if your on ETS carpet, besides getting the car stiffer, I would put 30 grams of lead in the nose of the car. Right in the front bumber, cut a notch out for it. That alone will do miracles.
I think that it is ETS carpet. I dont like glue sidewalls. The behavior of the car is different and you cant then use tires next time on lower grip for practice.
Thanks for tip with weight, I will try that. I have weights under steering lever, but I understand, that more in front before axel help.
For me was miracle with reducing steering on radio. I will also prepare some wider shims under ball on steeringrack to limit end lock, which use Alex Hagberg on Xray.
https://www.facebook.com/alexander.hagberg/posts/3083531701675687
Brian10811 likes this.
hmax is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 10:26 AM
  #187  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Brian10811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Did you glue the edge of the tires? What else did you try?
yes I glued the edge. In fact I kept going higher and higher. It helped but still felt on edge of tipping. I also kept increasing upper roll centers.
Brian10811 is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM
  #188  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (101)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,690
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Brian10811 View Post
yes I glued the edge. In fact I kept going higher and higher. It helped but still felt on edge of tipping. I also kept increasing upper roll centers.
On black CRC carpet, glueing the sidewalls is one of the most important things to do. If the traction is high enough then glue all the sidewall. At some races, the fastest guys even glue onto the racing surface of the tire itself. Another possible thing to try is to widen the car, that helps too.
corallyman is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 02:57 PM
  #189  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Brian10811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
On black CRC carpet, glueing the sidewalls is one of the most important things to do. If the traction is high enough then glue all the sidewall. At some races, the fastest guys even glue onto the racing surface of the tire itself. Another possible thing to try is to widen the car, that helps too.
Yes I did widen the car front and back. I started off with 184 front and rear and moved out but it did not help. In fact I am not sure it helped at all. I adjusted prings which did not help so I went back to the stock springs. It did help by laying down the rear shocks and standing up the fronts to full upright on the shock tower. I kept the arms setting for the shocks the same as setup.
Is it wrong of me to think the car had to much flex for a carbon chassis? If i were to do it again. I would add the arms graphite stiffeners and I have a rear X brace that fits on the chassis just behind the motor. Would this have helped?
Brian10811 is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 05:49 PM
  #190  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (58)
 
The Teacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,193
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Brian10811, this might sound like an off the wall question but how many layers of glue were you running. Many times on high bite CRC black carpet you have to get the right diameter of glue as well as the right thickness. Sometimes one layer is just too thin. Unfortunately though if you are going to run black carpet might want to invest in an alloy chassis.
The Teacher is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 PM
  #191  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Brian10811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
Brian10811, this might sound like an off the wall question but how many layers of glue were you running. Many times on high bite CRC black carpet you have to get the right diameter of glue as well as the right thickness. Sometimes one layer is just too thin. Unfortunately though if you are going to run black carpet might want to invest in an alloy chassis.
I would say 3 layers. I started close to edge of rim then moved to middle and top. Perhaps the AL chassis is way to go for black carpet.
Brian10811 is offline  
Old 12-06-2019, 03:44 PM
  #192  
ha5
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Is this a runing change?

Are from my second car:


ha5 is offline  
Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 PM
  #193  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ha5 View Post
Is this a runing change?

Are from my second car:

Not seeing it.....what is the difference?
dawgmeat likes this.
Johnny Wishbone is offline  
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 PM
  #194  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,657
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Uninstalled shock is slightly thinner in diameter but longer
dawgmeat is offline  
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 PM
  #195  
ha5
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
Uninstalled shock is slightly thinner in diameter but longer
The measures are the same, only change the bottle color, feel smother whit the pistón then the previus damper
ha5 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.