Default Serpent X20

https://www.redrc.net/2019/10/serpen...-teaser-image/
Old 10-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

It says Medius on the hood.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I initially thought it was a new 4x but it definitely looks now like it will have shocks, of course the picture doesn’t show shock towers but it seems obvious. The bulkhead looks very narrow, arms very long and perhaps the shocks will be lay down or high angle type.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Funny, I just ordered the Medius lower chassis plate for my 4x Evo last night (hoping to re-purpose my BD9 Medius kit and use the Evo vertical top deck). Anyway, exciting stuff from Serpent!
Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Is it October yet
Old 10-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

*sigh* and I just bought a 4X Pro barely a month or so after it was released...

I suppose my next question is, are they just going to abandon ongoing R&D in favor of the X20?

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 10-01-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Long Sus. Arm
Low CG Anti-Roll Bar
Short Big Bore Shock
Medius Mid Motor
Old 10-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post

I suppose my next question is, are they just going to abandon ongoing R&D in favor of the X20?
Every 4X I've seen on track has been truly awful, so I think killing the lame horse was the kind thing to do!

Instead it looks like they're doing another weird platform, with heavy pillow-ball suspension.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just hope itís not another one of these super narrow chassis... Itís hard enough to mount stuff on these cars without half of everything hanging off of the edge. Itís graphite, and the lower plate is the lowest part of the chassis, for crying out loud. Can we please have a chassis that extends out more than an inch and a half from centerline?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Every 4X I've seen on track has been truly awful, so I think killing the lame horse was the kind thing to do!

Instead it looks like they're doing another weird platform, with heavy pillow-ball suspension.
Hmm, it has faired well at events Iíve seen coverage for online - the biggest problem, of course, is that they have a tiny driver network, so information is sparse. Itís a shame, really - there are so many interesting aspects to this car. Certainly from a maintenance point of view, they definitely found a way to make several aspects of the car accessible with minimal tear down.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post

Doubtful, this is a ďconventionalĒ TC probably to take the place of the 411. The project 4x will no doubt get developed further and be the flagship unconventional kit.
savage24x likes this.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1fletch View Post

Doubtful, this is a ďconventionalĒ TC probably to take the place of the 411. The project 4x will no doubt get developed further and be the flagship unconventional kit.
I doubt they continue the 4x. Why would they? Please explain
Old 10-02-2019, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Word saying there are conversion kits (mid motor) for the 4X....................Serpent is not giving up the 4X platform.

Then X20 is the mid motor traditional shocks TC............
Old 10-02-2019, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post

I doubt they continue the 4x. Why would they? Please explain
Actually Arrowmax recently released mid kits for the 4X, also being that this is designer David Ehrbarís baby and features very high tech suspension engineering itís not going anywhere. It will evolve and become better over time.

Serpentt is obviously trying to cover the gap to mid to high level racers who donít have the time and skill to set up and change an unconventional car like the 4X. The 411 is pretty outdated now so this will probably be a pro version on the other side of the same coin, heads for unconventional and tails for conventional.

I am big big fan of serpent for their engineering and out of the box ideas, they also (like XRay) offer 1/12 scale to off road and 1/18 nitro and electric cars. Itís a big lineup...
However, they need to address quality issues and robustness of parts, many are simply too fragile for the clubracers. We need to have integrity and toughness without constant breakage and tweaking. I will pass final judgement after more running but for this TC to be on my shortlist it has to be tough!

sorry rant over
savage24x likes this.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1fletch View Post

Actually Arrowmax recently released mid kits for the 4X, also being that this is designer David Ehrbarís baby and features very high tech suspension engineering itís not going anywhere. It will evolve and become better over time.

Serpentt is obviously trying to cover the gap to mid to high level racers who donít have the time and skill to set up and change an unconventional car like the 4X. The 411 is pretty outdated now so this will probably be a pro version on the other side of the same coin, heads for unconventional and tails for conventional.

I am big big fan of serpent for their engineering and out of the box ideas, they also (like XRay) offer 1/12 scale to off road and 1/18 nitro and electric cars. Itís a big lineup...
However, they need to address quality issues and robustness of parts, many are simply too fragile for the clubracers. We need to have integrity and toughness without constant breakage and tweaking. I will pass final judgement after more running but for this TC to be on my shortlist it has to be tough!

sorry rant over
i remember when Hudy made alot of stuff for serpent back in the day(Vector/ Serpent Impact cars)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service