Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree367Likes

Serpent X20

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone have a bowing lower deck straight out of the box? Any way to fix it? Sitting normal its lifting on both ends, and pressing on both ends seems to make the middle bow up. Also whats a good way to get the suspension geometry the same left-right? I've got a setup station and a plain set-up board
Old 11-26-2019, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by herrokero
Anyone have a bowing lower deck straight out of the box? Any way to fix it? Sitting normal its lifting on both ends, and pressing on both ends seems to make the middle bow up. Also whats a good way to get the suspension geometry the same left-right? I've got a setup station and a plain set-up board
I am guessing you have the aluminum chassis. When I ran aluminum chassis with Xray I would just grip both ends with thumb to center of chassis and flex it in the opposite direction to correct the bend. It worked well for me. Aluminum will bend alot so you will have to check this often.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brian10811
I am guessing you have the aluminum chassis. When I ran aluminum chassis with Xray I would just grip both ends with thumb to center of chassis and flex it in the opposite direction to correct the bend. It worked well for me. Aluminum will bend alot so you will have to check this often.
nope. Its the carbon. Ive had slightly bowing decks before and they usually stay flat after screwing the top deck whilst pressing down on the chassis. Doesnt seem to work with this car
Old 11-26-2019, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

nope. Its the carbon. Ive had slightly bowing decks before and they usually stay flat after screwing the top deck whilst pressing down on the chassis. Doesnt seem to work with this car
that is odd,I have never experienced that. I don't really know what to tell you.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Serpent had this problem with some of the old S411 chassis. We found the fix by putting it on a really flat cookie sheet and putting it in the oven at 325 for about 30 minutes. If the chassis is really tweeked you may have to put some weight on either end just to flatten it out. Keep close watch so you dont torch it, then remove it from the oven and let it cool on its own on the cookie sheet. It may take a couple attempts. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Been seeing some Serpents showing up on podiums in recent race reports - would be nice to know if these are early signs of X20 success, but alas, RedRC tends to not get into that much detail with regards to chassis... At least not for the smaller events.
dawgmeat and Brian10811 like this.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Been seeing some Serpents showing up on podiums in recent race reports - would be nice to know if these are early signs of X20 success, but alas, RedRC tends to not get into that much detail with regards to chassis... At least not for the smaller events.
Well this weekend will be a true test for my X20. I am going to Minnrig Turkey Shoot/ snowbirds warm up Race this weekend. I have never ran this car on carpet and the only setup I have found is for mod which is not good. I will have to test my setup skills this weekend.
I have tested it 2 race days on a concrete track so this will be totally different for sure. I will give my results here. My only hope my extra parts come in this week. Fingers crossed.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Well this weekend will be a true test for my X20. I am going to Minnrig Turkey Shoot/ snowbirds warm up Race this weekend. I have never ran this car on carpet and the only setup I have found is for mod which is not good. I will have to test my setup skills this weekend.
I have tested it 2 race days on a concrete track so this will be totally different for sure. I will give my results here. My only hope my extra parts come in this week. Fingers crossed.
im starting with my asphalt set up did that last yar at minreng and it was pretty good
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:00 PM
KUI
Tech Apprentice

Default X20 Black carpet setup

Here is a link to the setup I ran at Apex Raceway Sunday.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jw8stf7oabgci4/SK%20Black%20Carpet.pdf?dl=0

SK
Old 11-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KUI
Here is a link to the setup I ran at Apex Raceway Sunday.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jw8stf7oa...arpet.pdf?dl=0

SK
Thank you for the setup. I will use it for a great starting point.
Why do you run the front shock position in the outer position?

Last edited by Brian10811; 11-26-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add sentence?
Old 11-26-2019, 03:27 PM
KUI
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the setup. I will use it for a great starting point.
Why do you run the front shock position in the outer position?
We have 2 short, quick chicanes. The more they are stood up the quicker the front will change directions. Also stops the front from rolling to much with high traction.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Race 3: Black carpet Snowbirds warm-up race.
I wish I could say it was a good experience but it was not good for my X20.
I struggled with traction roll the entire 2 days of practice and race day. Perhaps the reason was I am running a carbon chassis which I primarily run on concrete/ asphalt. From the moment of arrival which the track was a little green I was fighting traction roll. I started off with the close setup that KUI provided above and found that I needed to work on the settings. I started off decreasing droop to around 1.5 mm and I started shimming up the upper links which helped but I never could really find a comfortable setting. Based on my lap times and the feel of the car, I was way off pace. The faster guys were 10.8 and less but I could not get below 11.3. I felt the car was always on edge of flipping and floating on the track. My USGT car (T4 18) did not have any problems with the traction roll and handled very well. It did have a aluminum chassis on my Xray, perhaps that was the big difference.
I did learn alot about the car and what adjustments seem to help. I think it will help me next time I attend my local treated concrete track. Lets hope my Race 4 results will be better.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:13 PM
KUI
Tech Apprentice

I struggled with traction roll the entire 2 days of practice and race day. Perhaps the reason was I am running a carbon chassis which I primarily run on concrete/ asphalt. From the moment of arrival which the track was a little green I was fighting traction roll. I started off with the close setup that KUI provided above and found that I needed to work on the settings. I started off decreasing droop to around 1.5 mm and I started shimming up the upper links which helped but I never could really find a comfortable setting. Based on my lap times and the feel of the car, I was way off pace. The faster guys were 10.8 and less but I could not get below 11.3. I felt the car was always on edge of flipping and floating on the track. My USGT car (T4 18) did not have any problems with the traction roll and handled very well. It did have a aluminum chassis on my Xray, perhaps that was the big difference.
I did learn alot about the car and what adjustments seem to help. I think it will help me next time I attend my local treated concrete track. Lets hope my Race 4 results will be better.
Yeah, your gonna need the aluminum chassis for black. carpet
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

you still hit some fast laps!!
Old 12-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Well, I hope they get the much needed chassis tuning parts manufactured soon. A lot of the carbon parts appear to be in stock, but none of the stiffening sets nor standoffs seem to be (which makes sense as to why the sets aren’t available). Anything to help stiffen the carbon chassis is appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.