Schumacher Corner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

TeamPRP...how bout a kit that includes the plate, shorter steering bellcrank tubes, and I presume 2mm longer screws to go through the plate into the various parts...a total conversion kit..now that would be cool...

I'm getting ready to make the switch on mine as RacerX described in previous posts, with the front spacer and rear alum blocks...
Old 08-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default raised roll center plates.

If you put a plate under the hinge pin mounts for the front end and cut down the servo saver tube, wont you have to crank the tension all the way down on the servo saver? You will also be altering the ackerman by lifting the steering bellcranks. Don't know if that is such a good idea. Good luck though.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Default Raised roll center conversion

I hope this helps for those who want to try the raised roll center conversion.
Here is what you need.
3 degree blocks ( U1989)
std. blocks (U1988)

What you need to do after getting this stuff is cut the forward section of your steering post mount/hinge pin brace so all you have left is the piece that hlods the steering post. It should look like an oval shape at the bottom with two screw holes. Then cut down your front hinge pins from 57mm to 50mm. The hinge pin wont go back as far with the new aluminum pieces. Then just install the aluminum pieces in place of the origional stuff. Make sure The pins sit up off of the chassis. If you get it backwards, you will have the same thing you started out with. Two tips for this conversion, make some kind of brace to tie together the front two aluminum pieces. If you dont, a good crash will take the corner of your chassis off. What I did for this was to use the pin brace that came with the car and make 2mm praphite tabs to space it up and go under the hinge pins. It looks much cooler to use the aluminum and make your own brace though. The other tip, if you run the pieces that go under the bellcranks in the inner two of the four holes on the chassis you have the standard pin location. If you use the outer two holes you will have about 1 degree of inboard toe in which, in my experience, will give you more on power steering especially from the center of the turn out. Have fun and good luck at the track.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: raised roll center plates.

Originally posted by MUFFIN
If you put a plate under the hinge pin mounts for the front end and cut down the servo saver tube, wont you have to crank the tension all the way down on the servo saver? You will also be altering the ackerman by lifting the steering bellcranks. Don't know if that is such a good idea. Good luck though.

I think you are correct about the altering the steering ackerman. I don't see anything wrong though of tightening the servo saver all the way down. I have been doing this to Schumacher cars since '94.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

MUFFIN (LMAO) is correct. The U1988/89 parts are the best way to get the raised front roll center. Using plates changes other variables that you want left alone.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I finally did the rollcenter conversion with my Mission and I used plates. I find that using the plates makes more since, here is my feelings on why I use plates.

1) I had a broken chassis....LOL...

2) raising the entire steering assembly places the steering tie-rods at parrallel with the ground while the car is setting at ride height..... reduces bump-steer

3) stronger----if a 2.5 mm chassis plte is strong a 5mm plate is stronger

Adrian, corner speed, muffin--- if you are concerned with changing the ackerman soo much, just remover the spacer from under the inner balls for the tie-rods and cut down the threads by about 2mm.... fixed

IMHO you should never modify your car in any way that will or potentially could weaken it... especially the chassis plate which is the most expensive and important piece on the car.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Impactplayer- I don't think I completely dis-agreed with using the plates to raise the roll center. (IMHO)I just prefer to use the blocks. I have run my car both ways. I have never broken a chassis on the front by using the blocks for about 3 months now.Sorry to hear you have. What I have noticed is I don't bend front hinge pins now. I have broken the chassis in the rear 3 times now. Now with the 3 mm chassis hopefully that wont happen anymore.

Good Luck with everyones racing this weekend. Go fast and have fun.

Team Schumacher/ Krazy Kevin Hobbies
Old 08-02-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

I didn't break a chassis that way, I was practicing and had a severe radio glitch which caused the rear end to loop around facing and on-coming reflex NT at the end of a 150 ft. straight.....
Old 08-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

OH, ouch, that can never be good.

I mis-understood, I thought you meant by using front blocks that your chassis broke.

What ever means you want to raise your front roll center, do whatever your most comfortable with.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Racer X- Are you racing this weekend? If so I'll see you @ Ripon. Also do you plan on running the WCSO next weekend? It's sure to be a looooooooooooooooooooooong day but I'm going to go to make sure that Losi sweeps both mod and stock and I might run gas if Mo doesn't go. We pretty much got the car running pretty well last weekend at Delta so he's looking to run the car every chance he gets. Hopefully you'll come out and have some fun this weekend.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I should be racing at Ripon, but I just don't see any reason to run WCSO...seems like a waste of time to me. Now, it you do win stock, it will be a hollow victory with me not being there (lol). See you tonight...
Old 08-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does Schumacher intend to be selling a chassis lowering kit in the future? I can't seem to find these parts you mention in my local hobby stores.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Man, I'm starting to think that I'm the only one left who is running the car stock, without the rollcenter mod. I remember when the car first came out, people said the car handled great......what happened since then?
Old 08-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

The car does handle great in stock trim. however, the perfect car has not been built yet, the low-roll center mod changes the way the car feels, not as much how it handles. I haven't tested it much, but I think this one mod makes the car more stable, now you get lots of steering with a planted rear-end. I mean it makes more since, if manufacturers strive to make the suspension as a semetrical as possible why not follow thru with the entire suspension(ie: hinge pin height).
Old 08-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Default roll center mod parts

Pit-racer, Shumacher sends stuff out the same day any hobby shop orders it, as long as they have it in stock. If you can't get a hobby shop to order it for you, I am sure Adrian or Paul will sell you one direct. If your hobby shop sells Shumacher products, just give them the part numbers I posted and they will more than likely get them for you pretty quick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.