Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Oh yeah, range was about 4000 - 10000
Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

MarkBrown:
I was reading your document and I have a question regarding motor timing. I am running a duo2. When you say to set up timing at zero degrees does that mean that I need to be about 3 notches from fully advanced on the duo2 to achieve true zero timing on that particular motor?

Also on the Novak SS series if you turn the tab all the way clockwise am I at zero? If I didn't mark the factory setting I just won't truly know the amount of timing I have?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks for the docs
Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Now that I've run a Tekin with turbo and see how insane it is on the straights, it makes sense why my car 17.5 car was so damn slow in Vegas! I tried so many different combinations trying to get that SPv3 to not be a dog.

I ran the software tonight in 13.5. Track is about 96x42 (pic attached). It's definitely got the power in the middle I felt like the Tekin always lacked, which is a welcome change, and the turbo on the straights is no joke, it makes timing the sweeper a challenge. If there's more power to put down in the infield (in a sedan), I wasn't finding many places to do it. The motor rips hard like other ESC's out of the turns, but nothing that seemed any stronger than the SPX it replaced. On the straights, though, no question it's superior.

I actually found myself geared really high (near a 5.0) with a 13.5 DUO2 (timing 1 mark past center). Boost was 50, turbo 10/.2/ramp 2. The motor came off cool, like 135ish after 6 minutes w/fan. The same motor on the SPX (timing 2 marks past center) on profile 7 was happy around 6.5FDR, felt about as strong in the infield, came off around 165 w/fan, but had nothing on the Tekin on the straights.

Maybe I'd see more advantage in the infield with 17.5 or 1S pan cars? Not saying it's not great, just didn't feel like it was quite the game changer I'd hoped for. Either way, this is definitely my ESC of choice now.
We almost have the same setup except for your gearing and rpm ranges. I'm geared at 7.04. Ranges are 2500 - 12000 using throttle profile 4. Car has tons of infield speed.

I don't run turbo. No need to. Car keeps on pulling on the straights.

I noticed on DUO2s. It likes motor timing....
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
What was your setup with the v3 motor? I now it must be geared quit heavy. It's than a lot faster than geared light.
Boost on 10 is working good with the v200.

I'm going to race the last ETS from this series.
Well I only ran 13.5T v3 on 3 races and all of them were with SPX. I was geared about 5fdr.
I will be only at Czech round of ETS.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lochness42
Well I only ran 13.5T v3 on 3 races and all of them were with SPX. I was geared about 5fdr.
I will be only at Czech round of ETS.
do you have a starting point for fdr. with the 13.5 v3 and v203 software, i will go to the ets czech race aswell but don´t have a motor to practice with

martin
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MartinBasse
do you have a starting point for fdr. with the 13.5 v3 and v203 software, i will go to the ets czech race aswell but don´t have a motor to practice with

martin
Well I have club race next week so I'll try new software. At this point only thing I knew was FDR usable with SPX.
It's great to know that someone else with Tekin will be there as well - will make setup testing easier. Definitely come to me at race

BTW I didn't manage to find you in entry list.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lochness42
Well I have club race next week so I'll try new software. At this point only thing I knew was FDR usable with SPX.
It's great to know that someone else with Tekin will be there as well - will make setup testing easier. Definitely come to me at race

BTW I didn't manage to find you in entry list.
thats because i have intered today so i should be there now my last name is Laursen.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I guess we had a classical tekin vs lrp battle at Vegas...

I actually like that speed passion motor. it takes a ton of gear to get it moving --- but takes it w/o overheating. the lower my fdr got the faster it went. I settled on a 4.4 fdr but tried as high as 6.0.

I think your a little over geared w/ a 5.0 fdr / 13.5 duo / tekin v203. I'd recommend starting at w 7.0 fdr. you can get the car to jump out of the corners with a higher fdr and use turbo to make speed on the straight. with the v199/200 software a 6.2-6.6 fdr was really good.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Now that I've run a Tekin with turbo and see how insane it is on the straights, it makes sense why my car 17.5 car was so damn slow in Vegas! I tried so many different combinations trying to get that SPv3 to not be a dog.

I ran the software tonight in 13.5. Track is about 96x42 (pic attached). It's definitely got the power in the middle I felt like the Tekin always lacked, which is a welcome change, and the turbo on the straights is no joke, it makes timing the sweeper a challenge. If there's more power to put down in the infield (in a sedan), I wasn't finding many places to do it. The motor rips hard like other ESC's out of the turns, but nothing that seemed any stronger than the SPX it replaced. On the straights, though, no question it's superior.

I actually found myself geared really high (near a 5.0) with a 13.5 DUO2 (timing 1 mark past center). Boost was 50, turbo 10/.2/ramp 2. The motor came off cool, like 135ish after 6 minutes w/fan. The same motor on the SPX (timing 2 marks past center) on profile 7 was happy around 6.5FDR, felt about as strong in the infield, came off around 165 w/fan, but had nothing on the Tekin on the straights.

Maybe I'd see more advantage in the infield with 17.5 or 1S pan cars? Not saying it's not great, just didn't feel like it was quite the game changer I'd hoped for. Either way, this is definitely my ESC of choice now.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
If you set the turbo delay to 0, though, you'd only have the ramp time to wait through. So balancing the ramp for normal corner exits versus standing starts and mistake recovery would be a bit of an issue, but maybe less of an issue than the version 200 turbo delay tuning. With version 200, if you made a mistake (I still make lots of them), or you have to lift off because of traffic coming onto the straight or something, it screws up the timer, and your turbo doesn't kick in.

I'd still think having RPM-based timing and RPM-based turbo would make the most sense, though.

-Mike
Interesting concept, but I'd rather have more control over timing curves in the midrange RPM range instead of the RPM at the end. Using turbo to ramp the timing first gives you three preset curves, and REQUIRES using full throttle to advance the timing. If you run on a track requiring any finesse through the turns, this idea wouldn't work very well since you might be left without any timing boost when you need it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

WOW@THE DOCUMENT, THat should clear up alot of usuable space in forum,providing people read it first, and if nessesary ask q's later. Good job, and thankyou!!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
WOW@THE DOCUMENT, THat should clear up alot of usuable space in forum,providing people read it first, and if nessesary ask q's later. Good job, and thankyou!!
+1! A very useful tool for helping to educate users.

Jimmy
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Motor Timing: Launch

Motor timing is an absolute. It’s effective throughout the entire range of the cars speed. This is the adjustment that should be made for the first few feet of car travel.

Timing Boost: Acceleration

The ideal start/end rpm for boost will depend on the platform/chassis being used along with track size and motor wind. The size of the range will also affect how the car pulls. A narrow rpm range will effectively produce a faster rate of boost vs. a wide range will have a slower rate of boost:

1000rpm start / 6000 end with 50 timing boost will provide 10 degrees of boost per 1000 rpm vs.
1000rpm start / 11000 end with 50 timing boost will provide 5 degrees of boost per 1000 rpm.

Spec Motors:

So far pan cars are using between 1,000 and 7,000 on most tracks. This is due to not having a gearbox and being direct drive.

TC’s are showing a useable range of 2,000 to 13,000 on most tracks. This is due to having a reduction gear box.

Turbo Timing: Top speed

Turbo Delay: This is the time that must expire at wide open throttle to engage turbo. This is NOT dependant on RPM’s in any way. Ideally this should be NO lower than .2 and in all likelyhood will be set at .4 or more. Tracks that have straights less than 80ft will likely NOT need turbo.

Turbo Ramp Rate: This is the literal ramp rate of whatever your turbo timing is set. So:

A turbo setting of 20 will give you the following reaction:
1.0 Ramp rate = 20 degrees in 1 second applied
2.0 Ramp rate = 20 degrees in .5 seconds applied
3.0 Ramp rate = 20 degrees in .30 seconds applied

So if you run timing it will just change the total applied, not the speed at which it’s applied.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Randy... can you explain why "total timing" is no longer recommended to be at most 30? You can now set it to 40 or 50? Is it simply because you can set more boost with a LONGER delay, keeping temps down... where as before it would be too much too quickly?

Cpt.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Randy... can you explain why "total timing" is no longer recommended to be at most 30? You can now set it to 40 or 50? Is it simply because you can set more boost with a LONGER delay, keeping temps down... where as before it would be too much too quickly?

Cpt.
Excellent question!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.