Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice to see you back Racer X Hesperia was a blast. What ever race they have next year I suggest you try and make it because this track is GREAT!!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dragonmx...I applaud your efforts, but have to say, I personally cant see the logic in what you have done, the Mi2 has its belts reversed from the Mission to allow the cells closer to the cars centerline, to reduce the lateral moment, the cells moved all the way in, and with the motor where it is standard, the car is Balanced. A lot of time and resources went into the Mi2 layout, many many chassis configurations were tested at the factory in the R+D stages.

My car requires 10 grams extra on the electronics side, located next to the servo to get equal Left to right balance, and cornerweights, Using the Teemu chasiss and a personal AMB located on the servo.

Interesting that you have rotated the servo around, can you please explan to us the benefits of doing this?

Interesting work.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default Project Mi2

The blue piece is a battery rail, not a belt guide. The battery bars but up against the blue piece the belt rides under it. There is no battery slots on this chassis to keep it as stiff as possible. There is a huge difference, when you cut battery slots you cut the carbon fibers and lose much of the chassis stiffness.

We had a similar chassis on the Mission and it was well worth the slighly higher C.G.

There are no immediate plans to produce this chassis, there are a lot of components required to do this switch. It's much more involved than a upper and lower deck, in a way we are stretching the enveloppe of conventional chassis design.

Check out the Dirt Trix site and find out more.

The tires on this car were new and uncut, we usually start at 58-59mm but we've run some awfully thin ones too.

The motor mount transfers torque to the chassis, the closer it is to the centerline the more the moment is reduced and the more neutral it should be left to right on the application of these forces.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Project Mi2

Originally posted by Dragonxmx

There are no immediate plans to produce this chassis, there are a lot of components required to do this switch. It's much more involved than a upper and lower deck, in a way we are stretching the enveloppe of conventional chassis design.

What about the production of a more conventional upper nadl ower deck. With all of the chassis manufacturers out there i still cant understand why a stiffer set is not offered.

I had a lot of hopes on the P-Dub hype, but it seems to have vanished.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Project Mi2

Hi King-G,

Your right, the cells can be closer to the centerline with the belts reversed. We just had this setup on our Missions with a similar chassis and it was sweet so I kept it. This does allow me to move the motor mount almost to the centerline of the chassis though.

As for the servo position, in this configuration we can run the inside hole on the servo saver and a lower hole on the servo (stiffer mechanically). We can also adjust the angle of the turnbuckle to dial in or out a progressive feel (I know you can do this on the radio).

I have no doubts that many configurations were tested and the Mi2 is a great car right out of the box, but I kind of like to make my own chassis, for better or for worse.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:45 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Project Mi2

Originally posted by Besercoe
What about the production of a more conventional upper nadl ower deck. With all of the chassis manufacturers out there i still cant understand why a stiffer set is not offered.

I had a lot of hopes on the P-Dub hype, but it seems to have vanished.
There is currently one chassis up-grade that has produced some great results (reason for no P-Dub chassis )....The Teemu Chassis!!!!!

BMI Racing will soon release their new Mi2 chassis and I'm sure it will be top notch
Old 10-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

hey PW, are the alloy spindles available?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default !!! HELP !!!

In a previous post Adrian said:

Whether you run Tam or Schu Shocks the best starting setup is 3 holes 40wt, AE blue front springs and AE silver rear. We have run this setup everywhere and it seems to work very well. Softer front springs cause a loss of turn in due to the front end dumping. Stiffer rear springs are a possibility but we haven't had to resort to that. Thinner oil might be a good thing. I think the Sacramento guys have had good luck with that but we haven't felt the need to change this where we have raced.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...pagenumber=244

I purchased a set of TC3 AE Springs and they are much, much shorter than the Shumacher springs!!! I am using the Schumacher shocks

What am I missing? How do I use the AE springs on the Shuie shocks???

I am trying to setup the car with the stock chassis for carpet using foams

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Buy the car that the springs fit..
Old 10-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Remember those clip on spacers that came with your Schue shocks? They were on a parts tree, they're the same spacers that shocks without threaded collars use to adjust rideheight. All you have to do is put one below the shock collar to take up the extra space between the spring and the collar. (I used the 2nd thickest before my Tamiya shocks). If you threw the spacers out pretty much any similar spacer should work.

If you are using the carpet towers, heres how I managed to get mine to fit without any spacers using AE springs. I cut the extra sleeve off the shock collar so there was only about 4mm of thread left. Then mounted the collar inverted on the shock body. Screwed the stock Schue ball cups on without any extra cutting so the shock was 63mm long, fully extended from the bottom of the ball cup to the very top of the shock. I spent enough time building the shocks that they feel just as smooth as my Tamiya shocks on my rubber tire car . Hope this helps.

-WR
Old 10-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Hi I am looking for a mi2 does anyone know where I can get one.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I always thought it was the other way around...LOL To heavy of oil for the spring
That what I thought, between too thick of oil and not enough rear camber or too much rear toe. Going to soften things up a bit before I run the car again, along with taking some more rear toe out as well.

As far as the front of the car, it plowed like crazy on asphalt but it's really nice on carpet. I guess what I am saying is that both setups need help in different areas
Old 10-13-2004, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One note about moving the motor in...The motor was more towards the center on the Mission. On the Mi2 we moved it out on purpose as in testing this improved the handling of the car. Some team drivers move it out an additional 3-6mm with spacers to change the feel of the car.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Re: !!! HELP !!!

Originally posted by LeadFoot
In a previous post Adrian said:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...pagenumber=244

I purchased a set of TC3 AE Springs and they are much, much shorter than the Shumacher springs!!! I am using the Schumacher shocks

What am I missing? How do I use the AE springs on the Shuie shocks???

I am trying to setup the car with the stock chassis for carpet using foams

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Or you could do like we did way back in the day and flip the shock collars upside down so they go down farther. You just have to be very careful when threading them that you don't crossthread or strip it.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default carpet setup

Leadfoot...brians11 and I ran carpet with foams this past weekend. our setup was no rear sway bar....lean the rear shocks in at the top and mount them 2nd hole from the inside. I was running 60wt oil in the front with copper AE springs...and 40wt oil in the rear iwth red AE springs.......this setup was really fast...brian and i were two of only 4 out 14 that turned 20 laps in 19turn. Let me know if you need more info, ie. full setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.