Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Picco 2011 TORQUE onroad engines >

Picco 2011 TORQUE onroad engines

Picco 2011 TORQUE onroad engines

Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rageworks
Just what are you trying to ask?
Is your question supposed to be in english?
It makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense if you know Picco history. They used to have a flat slide carb they called a "torque" carb. He was just saying it is named after that old, and quite infamous carb.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jelayne
A small question for you all, I have seen the trend with Novarossi based engines the use of weight to balance but I have not seen this trend in Picco based, is it that Picco are balanced as is and is not necessary ??
It's not really necessary on any engine. It has very little benefit (though probably some) and adds considerably to the price of the crank.

You quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with any engine design. You can build a very basic, easy to produce engine that can get 99% of the possible HP, or you can spend twice as much to get that last 1%.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Be interesting to see if there are any changes to timings etc
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
It's not really necessary on any engine. It has very little benefit (though probably some) and adds considerably to the price of the crank.

You quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with any engine design. You can build a very basic, easy to produce engine that can get 99% of the possible HP, or you can spend twice as much to get that last 1%.
it actually can make quite the difference in the upper end...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Maximo
That is probbebly why Picco is aiming on more bottom end to make a compromise in overall performance.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
That is probbebly why Picco is aiming on more bottom end to make a compromise in overall performance.
I have done a fair bit of dyno testing with the tungsten slugs...they definitely make a noticeable improvement on the engines ability to carry power in the upper end....Quite a few engines start shaking in the upper RPM which absolutely kills its ability to make power in the upper end..adding the Tungsten seems to reduce the vibrations in the upper RPM's which allows the engine to retain power better and spin to a higher RPM...
Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

My cranks get balanced by a mate that does modifications to my engines and my Piccos run with Novas in the top end no dramas.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Anf
Tech Initiate

I have done a fair bit of dyno testing with the tungsten slugs...they definitely make a noticeable improvement on the engines ability to carry power in the upper end....Quite a few engines start shaking in the upper RPM which absolutely kills its ability to make power in the upper end..adding the Tungsten seems to reduce the vibrations in the upper RPM's which allows the engine to retain power better and spin to a higher RPM...
Using a heavier flywheel will have the same effect. By adding the tungsten inserts you are not magically improving crank balance but merely increasing the rotating weight and the damping effect.
I see these tungsten inserts as the current "must have", no doubt the fad will pass.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Anf
Using a heavier flywheel will have the same effect. By adding the tungsten inserts you are not magically improving crank balance but merely increasing the rotating weight and the damping effect.
I see these tungsten inserts as the current "must have", no doubt the fad will pass.
I will disagree here.......I will not divulge all the results of my testing...But I will say with 100% certainty that the slug definitely adds top end power and reduces the vibrations in the engine.......I did multiple dyno tests on several engines..tested without slug, then retested the same day with the slug....Not only did the power after peak improve, there was also a noticeable reduction in the engines harmonics at higher RPM's...Not only did the engine carry power better after peak, it also pulled the dyno several thousand RPM higher before maxxing out....Adding a heavier flywheel has no such effect and showed absolutely zero difference on the dyno....... I wont pretend to know all the reasons why, but I can definitely verify the results with 100% certainty on the dyno....
Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Anf
Tech Initiate

I will disagree here.......I will not divulge all the results of my testing...But I will say with 100% certainty that the slug definitely adds top end power and reduces the vibrations in the engine.......I did multiple dyno tests on several engines..tested without slug, then retested the same day with the slug....Not only did the power after peak improve, there was also a noticeable reduction in the engines harmonics at higher RPM's...Not only did the engine carry power better after peak, it also pulled the dyno several thousand RPM higher before maxxing out....Adding a heavier flywheel has no such effect and showed absolutely zero difference on the dyno....... I wont pretend to know all the reasons why, but I can definitely verify the results with 100% certainty on the dyno....
The extra weight will not add power but I do not doubt when you say the dyno shows the engine producing more power and revving higher.
The extra weight may be allowing the engine to reach higher rpm and/or altering the point/s in the rev range where resonance occurs but there is always a trade off.
You can not "fix" engine balance, all you can do is alter the out of balance points to a range that suits the characteristics of the engine.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Anf
The extra weight will not add power but I do not doubt when you say the dyno shows the engine producing more power and revving higher.
The extra weight may be allowing the engine to reach higher rpm and/or altering the point/s in the rev range where resonance occurs but there is always a trade off.
You can not "fix" engine balance, all you can do is alter the out of balance points to a range that suits the characteristics of the engine.
that sounds reasonable enough !
Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anybody have one yet?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 PM
am
Tech Master

I agree with Maximo on the slug story.

I had a kangarooe engine that i snapped the crank, it broke were the screw holds the flywheel. I had a Crono RS7 crank that was not slugged. Modified it to exact same timingnumbers that the kangaroo engine had. That enigne was never any good until i got a new crankshaft with sluggs. It missed a whole lot of revs on top and i never got the speed out of it.

>With a new crank evrything was back to normal. Do not need no dyno to find that out, just another crank without slugs and a 360 degree wheel, ohh and a dremel, lol
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Anf
heavier flywheel may increase the rpm(may be a little bit),but will reduce the low end a lot
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Anf
You mean the extra weight will only shift the natural frequency?
I thought the weight is for dynamic balancing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.