R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageworks View Post
Just what are you trying to ask?
Is your question supposed to be in english?
It makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense if you know Picco history. They used to have a flat slide carb they called a "torque" carb. He was just saying it is named after that old, and quite infamous carb.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelayne View Post
A small question for you all, I have seen the trend with Novarossi based engines the use of weight to balance but I have not seen this trend in Picco based, is it that Picco are balanced as is and is not necessary ??
It's not really necessary on any engine. It has very little benefit (though probably some) and adds considerably to the price of the crank.

You quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with any engine design. You can build a very basic, easy to produce engine that can get 99% of the possible HP, or you can spend twice as much to get that last 1%.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
Slo-MTX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4
Default

Be interesting to see if there are any changes to timings etc
__________________
Podified Picco/MRX5/Futaba/Savox

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #19
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It's not really necessary on any engine. It has very little benefit (though probably some) and adds considerably to the price of the crank.

You quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with any engine design. You can build a very basic, easy to produce engine that can get 99% of the possible HP, or you can spend twice as much to get that last 1%.
it actually can make quite the difference in the upper end...
__________________
http://www.thenitroshop.com/
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #20
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,290
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
it actually can make quite the difference in the upper end...
That is probbebly why Picco is aiming on more bottom end to make a compromise in overall performance.
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
That is probbebly why Picco is aiming on more bottom end to make a compromise in overall performance.
I have done a fair bit of dyno testing with the tungsten slugs...they definitely make a noticeable improvement on the engines ability to carry power in the upper end....Quite a few engines start shaking in the upper RPM which absolutely kills its ability to make power in the upper end..adding the Tungsten seems to reduce the vibrations in the upper RPM's which allows the engine to retain power better and spin to a higher RPM...
__________________
http://www.thenitroshop.com/
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
Tech Elite
 
Slo-MTX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
it actually can make quite the difference in the upper end...
My cranks get balanced by a mate that does modifications to my engines and my Piccos run with Novas in the top end no dramas.
__________________
Podified Picco/MRX5/Futaba/Savox

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #23
Anf
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have done a fair bit of dyno testing with the tungsten slugs...they definitely make a noticeable improvement on the engines ability to carry power in the upper end....Quite a few engines start shaking in the upper RPM which absolutely kills its ability to make power in the upper end..adding the Tungsten seems to reduce the vibrations in the upper RPM's which allows the engine to retain power better and spin to a higher RPM...
Using a heavier flywheel will have the same effect. By adding the tungsten inserts you are not magically improving crank balance but merely increasing the rotating weight and the damping effect.
I see these tungsten inserts as the current "must have", no doubt the fad will pass.
Anf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #24
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anf View Post
Using a heavier flywheel will have the same effect. By adding the tungsten inserts you are not magically improving crank balance but merely increasing the rotating weight and the damping effect.
I see these tungsten inserts as the current "must have", no doubt the fad will pass.
I will disagree here.......I will not divulge all the results of my testing...But I will say with 100% certainty that the slug definitely adds top end power and reduces the vibrations in the engine.......I did multiple dyno tests on several engines..tested without slug, then retested the same day with the slug....Not only did the power after peak improve, there was also a noticeable reduction in the engines harmonics at higher RPM's...Not only did the engine carry power better after peak, it also pulled the dyno several thousand RPM higher before maxxing out....Adding a heavier flywheel has no such effect and showed absolutely zero difference on the dyno....... I wont pretend to know all the reasons why, but I can definitely verify the results with 100% certainty on the dyno....
__________________
http://www.thenitroshop.com/
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #25
Anf
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I will disagree here.......I will not divulge all the results of my testing...But I will say with 100% certainty that the slug definitely adds top end power and reduces the vibrations in the engine.......I did multiple dyno tests on several engines..tested without slug, then retested the same day with the slug....Not only did the power after peak improve, there was also a noticeable reduction in the engines harmonics at higher RPM's...Not only did the engine carry power better after peak, it also pulled the dyno several thousand RPM higher before maxxing out....Adding a heavier flywheel has no such effect and showed absolutely zero difference on the dyno....... I wont pretend to know all the reasons why, but I can definitely verify the results with 100% certainty on the dyno....
The extra weight will not add power but I do not doubt when you say the dyno shows the engine producing more power and revving higher.
The extra weight may be allowing the engine to reach higher rpm and/or altering the point/s in the rev range where resonance occurs but there is always a trade off.
You can not "fix" engine balance, all you can do is alter the out of balance points to a range that suits the characteristics of the engine.
Anf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #26
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anf View Post
The extra weight will not add power but I do not doubt when you say the dyno shows the engine producing more power and revving higher.
The extra weight may be allowing the engine to reach higher rpm and/or altering the point/s in the rev range where resonance occurs but there is always a trade off.
You can not "fix" engine balance, all you can do is alter the out of balance points to a range that suits the characteristics of the engine.
that sounds reasonable enough !
__________________
http://www.thenitroshop.com/
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Anybody have one yet?
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #28
am
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,639
Default

I agree with Maximo on the slug story.

I had a kangarooe engine that i snapped the crank, it broke were the screw holds the flywheel. I had a Crono RS7 crank that was not slugged. Modified it to exact same timingnumbers that the kangaroo engine had. That enigne was never any good until i got a new crankshaft with sluggs. It missed a whole lot of revs on top and i never got the speed out of it.

>With a new crank evrything was back to normal. Do not need no dyno to find that out, just another crank without slugs and a 360 degree wheel, ohh and a dremel, lol
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #29
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anf View Post
Using a heavier flywheel will have the same effect. By adding the tungsten inserts you are not magically improving crank balance but merely increasing the rotating weight and the damping effect.
I see these tungsten inserts as the current "must have", no doubt the fad will pass.
heavier flywheel may increase the rpm(may be a little bit),but will reduce the low end a lot
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
Tech Elite
 
Nipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kallang Airport
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anf View Post
The extra weight will not add power but I do not doubt when you say the dyno shows the engine producing more power and revving higher.
The extra weight may be allowing the engine to reach higher rpm and/or altering the point/s in the rev range where resonance occurs but there is always a trade off.
You can not "fix" engine balance, all you can do is alter the out of balance points to a range that suits the characteristics of the engine.
You mean the extra weight will only shift the natural frequency?
I thought the weight is for dynamic balancing.
Nipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net