Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cory, you'll be putting your Losi 8ight up against my Losi 8ight this Sunday! It's ON!!! haha.. You'll have Mack to deal with too and he drives an ASSociated. So, let's see it!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Can anyone help me out with the best base setup for the track pictured. Going to a State title there and want somewhere to start as i havent had the 8ight long and havent found the right setup yet.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=88912&page=27

Scroll down half the page and pics are there.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up This is a safe bet....

My base setup would prob work there.
Diffs front to rear = 4/6/2 or 5/5/2
Med (black) sway bars all the way around.
Green spring front and rear.
Chassis at 26mm in the front & 27mm in the rear for ride height.
Ackermann Long
Bumpsteer Ball up.
Shocks = Fronts and rears are 55/40 mounted middle on the tower and inside on the arm.
Wheel base is 1 spacer in the back and 2 spacers in the front.
Camber links = Front is inside hole & Rear is inside lower and middle on the hub carrier.
2mm offset hub extension on the rear and 1mm hub extension on the front.
Front toe @ 1 - 1.5 out
Rear toe @ 3 in
Rear Antisquat @3

Tires are Crime Fighters in M3. Bowities in M3 will have less sidebite but more forward bite. Or combine the two to tune. If traction gets real high go to M2 compounds.

Clutch = If the top soil stays loose and fluffy then go all carbon with gold springs. If the traction comes up then go to 2 alum combined with the two carbons or anywhere in between.

13 - 48 gears.

This is a good-easy to drive-setup that allows you some quick tuning each direction. If you make the most of your track time you will be OK and probably make only a minor adjustment or two.

The shocks will keep you out of trouble on the large jumps and when holes develop. Most guys like this after they drive it and realize how easy it is.

Let us know how it goes & I hope this helps.
TEX
Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Holy Crap, rcstunt....If I lived down under I'd make a trip there as often as possible. That track is one of the best I've ever seen. Great technical sections without going overboard. It looks like a blast to drive on.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
Holy Crap, rcstunt....If I lived down under I'd make a trip there as often as possible. That track is one of the best I've ever seen. Great technical sections without going overboard. It looks like a blast to drive on.
+1 to that! being a track director myself that impresses me a lot!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yeah, by the looks of it, theve put in a huge effort for a state event..... Looks unreal with some big jumps and technical sections.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys this may be weird but I am an Xray driver, I use to drive the losi's a while ago. I have a few questions real quick for you losi guys if you do not mind me asking. 1,being- Do you guys have anymore rear diff problems in the buggy, 2,being- Do you guys have anymore problems with the throttle servos going out. Also what do you guys replace and maintain the most, besides,clutch'diff&shock oil. Thanks again guys and can't wait to hear some replys.
Josh
Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

C'mon LosiEight, level with us why you want to know these things? Seems fishy when you don't even have our buggy. But, I will play along. I've had absolutely no servo problems in two full years of racing. No tranny probs either. I do find a bit of premature wear in the cv joint of the front center dog bone after a month of racing. I've owned Mugen and Kyosho before Losi and honestly, each of these cars had weak points. But what I HAVE learned is that all of them need to be maintained on a regular basis. If you take care of any car, it will last and be reliable.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Geo, Na man no fishyness here... I was just curious. I had both the 8T and 8B before I got picked up by Xray and I was just curious to stop by the thread and ask some ?'s. Just to see if the problems that I knew were going on with the losi's when I had them have been solved. Thats all.Thanks again man for your quick reply. Hey Geo how are you liking those GRP engines?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Tech Champion

I clean and sand the brake discs pretty often. Seems they get quite a bit of dirt and glaze on them. But pulling the center diff is easy, and having the pads cleaned and back in place only takes 10 minutes as you probably already know.

Other than that, just bearing up-keep.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by air8
I clean and sand the brake discs pretty often. Seems they get quite a bit of dirt and glaze on them. But pulling the center diff is easy, and having the pads cleaned and back in place only takes 10 minutes as you probably already know.

Other than that, just bearing up-keep.
+1 w/ center front cvd pin but I got 3 bones now and just replace the pin in the bone
Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for reply's.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Hey guys. I just orderd an OFNA Hyper .21 motor from tower for like $160. I wanted the Gotech 5 port but Amain was out of stock and this buggy has been sitting bare on my work table for over a month. I was looking for a motor in the $200 range or under as this is my first buggy. I didnt want anything too insane or high priced. Maybe later I'll step up to a "better" motor.
So can any one tell me how what I should expect from this engine? From the specs, it similar to the GoTech 5 port. Same PRM, Power and RPM range.

Thanks in advance,
Rafael
Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi8ight
Hey Geo how are you liking those GRP engines?
This engine is like no other. I've owned many others and right off the bat, I noticed very low temperatures while being at a race tune. The sweet spot for these engines is between 185 to 200 degrees. If you buy one, pay attention to the engraved logos on all of the internal parts. Very high quality Italian craftsmanship. It's a five port and it seems pull endlessly. I'm running the JP3 pipe. Amazing runtime. I average nine minutes per tank. I love the four springs it comes with for holding on the header. I've got two gallons through mine now and it's very impressive. I would rate this mill right along side of the RB C6 or a Nova P5.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hi,
i'v got this problem withe my cluctch and i can't figure out what is going on. it seems to just tighten up while im racing and then that stops the clutch bell from spinning freely. Why is this happening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.