Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, quite a few pages back I was complaining about our track and lack of, shall we say refinement. With my bitching and many peoples help (me included, I don't bitch about something and not offer to fix it) we now have a bitchin' track! My Losi will be MUCH happier landing, and the best part, is now the traction is consistent. Tex, I hope you can finally get your club to realize that landings are best also, good luck.

Here it is, the Santa Barbara Radio Controlled Cars track (SBRCCA.org) located in beautiful Santa Barbara, California. (I can't tell you how stoked I am!!!)

There are some pics of the track before the renovation on our website under "Pictures and Video" on our website, and yes, thats my 8B at the top of our clubs website!! Thanks to Kcdzim for the new website layout and updates.

Yes I know it's a shameless plug, but also just showing that our sport is not just about driving, but we as individuals can do to help out when we work together with our clubs. Damn I'm stoked to go racing again.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I can't believe you found affordable land in Santa Barbara! I'm guessing watering the track is not an option. Looks like a fun place
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by satoch
I can't believe you found affordable land in Santa Barbara! I'm guessing watering the track is not an option.
It's leased land from the city park. The park is essentially a brownfield reconstruction of the old city landfill that was closed in 1965. Over the past who knows how many years, they've been capping it with soil. Currently it's over 200 acres with mountain biking trails, paragliding and hanggliding space, 2 soccer fields, 3 baseball fields, a bmx track, and the rc track.

The water is reclaimed and freely available. I think it's from the irrigation lines. Pretty sure it's included in the rent.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Waters free for us at the SBRCCA track. If your 2 or so hours from our track, we sure would love to have you check it out, it really is a good group of people, very relaxed also during race day (2nd/4th Sundays) I think my C6BB will be a blast on it now
Old 10-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Want to get a 8ight what are the pro & con for this buggy ? what's good and what's not so good. I know the DRAKE kicks a$$ with it.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO, there are only 2 things you have to get with the buggy.
1. Rear Aluminum chassis brace. the reason for this one is that the rear center cv is almost to short and with the plastic brace, it can pop out with a hard hit.

2. capture the steering rods at the spindle. Why it is true, it is designed to pop off and not break, this can hurt you more in a race, so its better to just capture them and be done.

Now, I did get the new adjustable rear end so I could more cheaply change the car, but its not a necessity. I also put the Trinity 'Brake Things' on to help with break drag.

This is a good buggy, it likes to be driven like a carpet sedan, so keep that in mind.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is a quote;

nice choice the 8T rocks here a small list of things that need attention

1. check all parts are loctited as some kits have had problems with screws coming loose, especially the front centre universal.

2.make sure that your end points on the throttle servo are set properly and that there is no binding (under braking especially). 3-5mm of fuel tubing on the pull side of the throttle servo horn is a must.

3. the plastic inserts in the factory servo horns have been known to strip on the steering servo so it might pay to get a solid aluminium horn for the steering.

4.the plastic rear bearing inserts wear pretty quickly on the 8T so it might pay to get the ali ones part# LOSA4430 theyre alot cheeper that replacing a crown and pinion gear.

5.clutch shoes either king heads 7075's or the dynamite long lifes would be my pick haven't tried the new losi long lifes yet

I'm sure there are things that other people have or are doing but these a just a few to get you started

have fun burn nitro

Adrian
Old 10-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Please guys, I need some help with setups for the 8ight and 8ightT for indoor clay tracks .Blue grove.Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Well, quite a few pages back I was complaining about our track and lack of, shall we say refinement. With my bitching and many peoples help (me included, I don't bitch about something and not offer to fix it) we now have a bitchin' track! My Losi will be MUCH happier landing, and the best part, is now the traction is consistent. Tex, I hope you can finally get your club to realize that landings are best also, good luck.

Here it is, the Santa Barbara Radio Controlled Cars track (SBRCCA.org) located in beautiful Santa Barbara, California. (I can't tell you how stoked I am!!!)

There are some pics of the track before the renovation on our website under "Pictures and Video" on our website, and yes, thats my 8B at the top of our clubs website!! Thanks to Kcdzim for the new website layout and updates.

Yes I know it's a shameless plug, but also just showing that our sport is not just about driving, but we as individuals can do to help out when we work together with our clubs. Damn I'm stoked to go racing again.

Bro I am so there.I live in bakersfield and would be happy to bring a decent group over there to race any time.Any big events coming up.PM me with info
Old 10-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mater
Please guys, I need some help with setups for the 8ight and 8ightT for indoor clay tracks .Blue grove.Thanks
I run my buggy on a blue groove clay track indoors also . I set up mine to Drakes Neobuggy setup and made fine adjustments from there . It will be a little different for each person depending on driving style , but that is a very good starting point and for me I only made a few small adjustments .
Old 10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
rfy
Tech Apprentice

Hi all,

Has anyone made a reverse thread shock bolt/screw..need for the front right and rear left shock..these have a tendency to back off/out half way into a one hour main. thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfy
Hi all,

Has anyone made a reverse thread shock bolt/screw..need for the front right and rear left shock..these have a tendency to back off/out half way into a one hour main. thanks
If you're referring to the lower shock screws, I put like a 1/2" x 5-40 screw in the open shock mount hole. The head of the second screw helps keep the actual shock screw from backing out. This is on the A-arms. I have screws covering all 4 shock mount screws

If you're referring to the upper shock mounts......I can't help there. I've never seen/hear of a problem there. Sorry
Old 10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you look on the bottom of the arm, you will see two holes that you can put a 4/40 buttonhead in to prevent the shock screw from backing out.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any of you guy's going to R/C Pro Final's?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfy
Hi all,

I simply use a 5-40 x 3/8 flat head screw...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.