Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
To adjust the blade sway bar you loosen the set screw and rotate the bar, both sides of the bar, not slide in or out.

The stock mugen clutch uses the super hard spring and drilled out fly weights. Most of the team drivers drill the holes out larger to make the weights even lighter. I didn't know of any of the team that used the yellow shoe on the sedan. That doesn't mean they don't, they just didn't when I was on the team. At that time we used the grey shoe. The stock Mugen MTX4 clutch works pretty darn well. The MSR spring and slightly lighter weights just makes it a bit better. Also, how good your clutch seems does depend on your engine as well. Some engines make better bottom end, so the exact same clutch settings on two different engines will yield a totally different feel. The clutch I ran on the Sirio STI felt like an on/off switch on the IDM engine. The IDM makes much more torque so I had to soften the clutch to make the car drivable. The CRF engine doesn't have a lot of torque so my normal clutch setting would probably feel a bit boggy on that engine. You have to tailor your clutch to the engine.
How much larger do they drill out the holes? I'd like to give it a try sometime with the yellow and grey clutch shoe setup. I don't see how rotating the blade bars will provide adjustment as the tips that go into the metal piece aren't threaded. Sry for all the questions, but just wondering.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I dont have a MTX4, but dude, you're arguing a point that is moot. All blade sway bars are adjusted by rotating them. Just like the front blade sway bar, when the bar is - like that, its at it softest, and when its like I that its at it hardest, anything in betweem is adjustable. Its really pretty easy to see.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not arguing - I just never used one in the rear before so I'm asking just how does it work thats all.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

This is not going to be easy to explain, but I am going to try. I have to first make you understand how a sway bar works, then it will all end up making sense. A sway bar works by tying the left and right side the of the cars suspension/tires together. It tries to keep them at the same level as each other. Example:

It will be a bit easier if you leave your tires on the car, but it isn't necessary. Take your car and put it on a car stand so the tires are off the table and just hanging down. Disconnect both shocks from the a-arm.(not necessary, but will make it a bit easier). Disconnect the sway bar from either side, but you don't have to do both sides. Grab the right side tire and move it up and down. The left side shouldn't move at all. Now grab the left side tire and move it up and down. The right side shouldn't move at all. Now reconnect the sway bar and rotate it so both bars are flat. Grab the right side tire and move it up and down. The left side should go up and down with the right side. They should go up together and move down together. Now the part that is a bit of a handful. Grab the left side tire and hold it down. While still holding the left tire down, grab the right side tire and try to raise it up. You will be able to do it, but in order to do it, the sway bar will have to bend/flex. Now let go of the tires and stand the sway bar straight up and down. Then repeat holding the left tire down and trying to raise the right tire up. It will be much harder to do this as you have essentially made the sway bar much thicker in the direction it has to bend/flex. When you are driving your car and you go into a turn, the car will sway/lean over. The action is exactly the same as trying to hold one tire down and raise one tire up.... Just like you were doing in your hand a minute ago. It works the same way as the front blade sway bar. You just need some more linkage in the rear since there is a transmission in the way.

I need to send Robbie a bill for still doing tech support in the Mugen thread
Old 08-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
How much larger do they drill out the holes? I'd like to give it a try sometime with the yellow and grey clutch shoe setup. I don't see how rotating the blade bars will provide adjustment as the tips that go into the metal piece aren't threaded. Sry for all the questions, but just wondering.
I enlarged up to 4mm the holes on the flyweights with very nice results. Do a test with 3.5mm and 4mm drills (just keep a spare bag of flyweights in the case you do not like the 4mm holes).
Old 08-19-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corse-R
I enlarged up to 4mm the holes on the flyweights with very nice results. Do a test with 3.5mm and 4mm drills (just keep a spare bag of flyweights in the case you do not like the 4mm holes).
Oh yeah.. I forgot to answer that one. I went up to 3.5mm but same as corse-r a lot of guys drilled the weights out to 4mm.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah.. I forgot to answer that one. I went up to 3.5mm but same as corse-r a lot of guys drilled the weights out to 4mm.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.... Maybe of that bill you plan to pass Robbie, need to discount that Q... LOL!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

I need to send Robbie a bill for still doing tech support in the Mugen thread
Mugen's support always sucked, no matter if you are in the US, Japan or Europe. So getting help from a former Mugen driver, now Kyosho driver is really very nice. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Mr. Fisher is just a nice guy and can't help himself

Thanks for the even more info!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Corse/Scott - Thanks so much for the info. I'll definitely try the 3.5mm size holes and I do have spare flywheel weights for the clutch.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know who makes lightweight flywheels and lightweight clutchbells?
Can you also post a link to the shop/site?
Cheers
Joe
Old 08-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by itchy b
Does anyone know who makes lightweight flywheels and lightweight clutchbells?
Can you also post a link to the shop/site?
Cheers
Joe
A lightweight flywheel only will give you headaches and a rough idle. Forget it.

Regarding lightweight clutchbell JP Racing makes one for the MTX4 in aluminium. NEEDS to be used with the red clutch shoe (beware: expensive and doesn't last long).

I use it without a problem but I need to say that red clutch shoe and aluminium clutchbell isn't an all-around clutch config. Yellow shoe and steel clutchbell is the best you can get if want an all around config.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Originally Posted by Corse-R
A lightweight flywheel only will give you headaches and a rough idle. Forget it.

Regarding lightweight clutch bell JP Racing makes one for the MTX4 in aluminium. NEEDS to be used with the red clutch shoe (beware: expensive and doesn't last long).

I use it without a problem but I need to say that red clutch shoe and aluminium clutch bell isn't an all-around clutch con fig. Yellow shoe and steel clutch bell is the best you can get if want an all around con fig.
Why is it necessary to run the red shoe with the JP bell?
I am running an old mtx 3 3 racing light weight flywheel on my STI and it idles beautifully!
Cheers
Joe
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

alm bells suck (my 2 cents)
i did run the 3racing light bell but it got wobbly and now i just run stock mugen stuff,it last longer and stays consistent in long mains.
i tried the drill thing with the shoes but i think i like 2 shoes with weights better,why i dont know.

as some would say at the track i mostly run at ( FASTCATS ) my car is so snappy its silly.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
alm bells suck (my 2 cents)
i did run the 3racing light bell but it got wobbly and now i just run stock mugen stuff,it last longer and stays consistent in long mains.
i tried the drill thing with the shoes but i think i like 2 shoes with weights better,why i dont know.

as some would say at the track i mostly run at ( FASTCATS ) my car is so snappy its silly.
cheap aluminium bells suck (I agree too). But the JP Racing is the best you can get anywhere. Al clutch bells are subjected to wear and tear and aproximately around 10 or 12 shoes I change the clutch bell.

If you have enough traction and grip. Aluminium clutch bell and red shoe is the best way to have incredible hard launches. Just because the shoe grips fiercely to the clutchbell (I would not be clutch bell... it gets bitten really hard ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.