Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
New Tekin redline gen3 motors >

New Tekin redline gen3 motors

Like Tree20Likes

New Tekin redline gen3 motors

Reply

Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 AM
  #46  
Tech Master
iTrader: (36)
 
kevntri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 1,600
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Post up the reviews on your Gen 3 motors...

They have been out a while.

Lets hear it......
kevntri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
  #47  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 101
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

What timing are you guys going for? How hot do they run? fan/no fan?

I'm finally going to try mine tonight. not really sure where to start.
cjmurph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 PM
  #48  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (42)
 
OriginalDonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 604
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

I ran my Gen 3 7.5 for the first time this week. 80/22 in a Yokomo YZ-2 2wd buggy. Lots of punch and ran very cool. Seemed quite a bit louder than a few of the other cars on the track. It was flying.
OriginalDonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:41 PM
  #49  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 220
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

ran my 9.5 in my YZ4 buggy last night geared very conservatively, 8.7 and compared to my Bmax with a 7.47 with a gen2 10.5, both boosted the new motor felt punchier and had as much straight away speed as the older gen2.
madmikepags is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:57 PM
  #50  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Volition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 391
Default

Running in 17.5t 4wd Stock Buggy this weekend - First run this Sunday

I'll start at 6.0 FDR on a new Schumacher Cat K2 (Slipper Lockout) weighs 1730g Will report back. Should be able to get the FDR lower but we will see. I don't get a chance to practice and test due to living so far from the track. 2 trips a weekend is too much.

I believe we have lower FDR's due to our tracks being a bit larger then the ones in the states.
Knox is on a 42m(138ft) x 26m(85ft) area w/35m(115ft) straight and Keilor 40m(131ft) x 23m(75ft) w/32m(106ft) straight - Be really interested to see the sizes of your tracks.

I've ordered fan and mount kit going forward for the motor. The fastest guys run at 5.19 FDR with a fan and full timing - motors at 65c(149f) after 6minutes - I'm not going to push that hard 60c(140f) is my absolute limit. I will not let my motors go over that.

Anyways I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck and good racing to you.
Volition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM
  #51  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 101
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Running in 17.5t 4wd Stock Buggy this weekend - First run this Sunday

I'll start at 6.0 FDR on a new Schumacher Cat K2 (Slipper Lockout) weighs 1730g Will report back. Should be able to get the FDR lower but we will see. I don't get a chance to practice and test due to living so far from the track. 2 trips a weekend is too much.

I believe we have lower FDR's due to our tracks being a bit larger then the ones in the states.
Knox is on a 42m(138ft) x 26m(85ft) area w/35m(115ft) straight and Keilor 40m(131ft) x 23m(75ft) w/32m(106ft) straight - Be really interested to see the sizes of your tracks.

I've ordered fan and mount kit going forward for the motor. The fastest guys run at 5.19 FDR with a fan and full timing - motors at 65c(149f) after 6minutes - I'm not going to push that hard 60c(140f) is my absolute limit. I will not let my motors go over that.

Anyways I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck and good racing to you.
Interested to know how you go, I'll be running mine in a K1 tonight (17.5). I was going to start at 5.34 as that's what others run on a K1 with a D4. Not sure the length of the straight at bayswater, I'll find out tonight I guess.

Timing is a bit of an unknown. I was hoping maybe someone had put a 17.5 in a motor analyser to see how they behave with timing. I set mine to about 40 degrees to start.

1730g seems heavy, is that saddles or shorty?

Good luck with the new buggy!
cjmurph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:44 PM
  #52  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Volition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 391
Default

Originally Posted by cjmurph View Post
Interested to know how you go, I'll be running mine in a K1 tonight (17.5). I was going to start at 5.34 as that's what others run on a K1 with a D4. Not sure the length of the straight at bayswater, I'll find out tonight I guess.

Timing is a bit of an unknown. I was hoping maybe someone had put a 17.5 in a motor analyser to see how they behave with timing. I set mine to about 40 degrees to start.

1730g seems heavy, is that saddles or shorty?

Good luck with the new buggy!
Cheers mate. Yeah sorry I put a stack of info on the post but the timing. Going to try 40degrees too.

Yeah, 1750 (race ready) is what it is out of the box w/shorty, Lost 20 for the lockout am ordering a CF chassis and ceramic bearings. So will get it down to 1680 I hope. I would think most 4wd kits out of the box are around 1750. even heavier couldn't see how they would vary much. If anyone wants to chime in with there weight. I'd be interested. (Race ready, No tuning or weight reduction items)

BTW I used Google maps to measure the straight and track size. The yanks were recommending I use an FDR of 6.75 they must have small tracks. However he said they don't race 4wd stock over there and he'd use 6.75 on his track and yeah we are in the right ballpark for FDR. Because I won't be able to do any practice runs before hand that's why I'm going really conservative first time up. I'll work my way down through the day and see how low I can get it. Then when the fan arrives I might get a tooth or two more.

I'll move to Mod before i'm keen enough to burn out motors just to keep up. Stock for me will be a proving ground for this year. Then I'm out of there. Just ridiculous the lengths and cost to have the same playing field as the top guys who are often sponsored from what I can see. This is my first few months of the hobby and I love it, but this Stock arms race is a turn off and a turn on at the same time. I am a gear head so love all the stuff and the technical aspect of the hobby. But I really can't keep up with sponsored drivers unless I win lotto. I naively believed when I started I'd be able to compare how far i was behind based on even equipment. Far from the truth. Anyways that's my Stock class rant. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying it though, the RC scene is the bomb.

My aim is to race mod in 12 months and be in the top half of the field. I'll use stock to learn the intricacies of tuning, setups, driving & racing. Least with Mod I'll know I can get the same power/weight ration If I want it. I suspect even more adrenaline too. Anyways good luck to you too. Will report back on Monday.
Volition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:16 AM
  #53  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 101
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Cheers mate. Yeah sorry I put a stack of info on the post but the timing. Going to try 40degrees too.

Yeah, 1750 (race ready) is what it is out of the box w/shorty, Lost 20 for the lockout am ordering a CF chassis and ceramic bearings. So will get it down to 1680 I hope. I would think most 4wd kits out of the box are around 1750. even heavier couldn't see how they would vary much. If anyone wants to chime in with there weight. I'd be interested. (Race ready, No tuning or weight reduction items)

BTW I used Google maps to measure the straight and track size. The yanks were recommending I use an FDR of 6.75 they must have small tracks. However he said they don't race 4wd stock over there and he'd use 6.75 on his track and yeah we are in the right ballpark for FDR. Because I won't be able to do any practice runs before hand that's why I'm going really conservative first time up. I'll work my way down through the day and see how low I can get it. Then when the fan arrives I might get a tooth or two more.

I'll move to Mod before i'm keen enough to burn out motors just to keep up. Stock for me will be a proving ground for this year. Then I'm out of there. Just ridiculous the lengths and cost to have the same playing field as the top guys who are often sponsored from what I can see. This is my first few months of the hobby and I love it, but this Stock arms race is a turn off and a turn on at the same time. I am a gear head so love all the stuff and the technical aspect of the hobby. But I really can't keep up with sponsored drivers unless I win lotto. I naively believed when I started I'd be able to compare how far i was behind based on even equipment. Far from the truth. Anyways that's my Stock class rant. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying it though, the RC scene is the bomb.

My aim is to race mod in 12 months and be in the top half of the field. I'll use stock to learn the intricacies of tuning, setups, driving & racing. Least with Mod I'll know I can get the same power/weight ration If I want it. I suspect even more adrenaline too. Anyways good luck to you too. Will report back on Monday.
I got back into rc after a long break and went straight to mod for all the reasons you stated. Stock is bs imo. However, I suck, so I have decided to slow things down. 4wd stock is really popular here so I'm about to try it.

My k1 is 1678g with saddles. I have a fair few heavier parts on too, like aluminium trans uppers. No fan yet though.
cjmurph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 PM
  #54  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 101
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

The 17.5 is fantastic.

I changed my mind and went straight to 5.15 FDR before I even ran it once, glad I did, and I didn't change it all night. I moved the timing to 45 degrees on the can. Measured 50c motor temp after 5 minutes. I think it could take another tooth pretty easily, that'll make it 4.98 FDR, It has plenty of punch as it is now.

Cleared our triple which is 6m crest to crest (according to google maps, doesn't look that far IRL). Our straight is 27m with a 180 degree sweeper at the end that is flat in 4wd stock, effectively doubling the straight length.

Managed third which is ok given my first attempt in stock (I was turning into pipes all night, too used to a 6.5 in this buggy), fastest lap was the quickest of the night for 4wd stock by 4 tenths.

Weight is 1697 with a fan and sweep tendroids, I'll run it Sunday at a track where I use schumacher mini spikes, that's 50g straight away from tires alone. Need a shorty conversion though.

All in all, it's a great motor, glad I chose it.

Volition, make sure you run your belts really really really loose on that cat for stock.
cjmurph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 PM
  #55  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Volition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 391
Default

Great post CJ. A day before I run and you have tested the same motor in a very similar buggy. I was going to start just above 6 but will come down to 5.8 to start then. I had a look at Perth's ambient temperature last night 20-22c. Will probably be a couple of degrees hotter tomorrow in Melbourne. I think around 25. Looks like we have similar size tracks. I will use 45 timing on the can.

I asked around every 4wd buggy thread for people to weigh their cars out of interest. It does seem 1750g with a shorty is the current standard. This is what the K2 is. It's Funny that the K1 is lighter it seems. I am 1730g tomorrow with a shorty. I've got the rcmadness slipper lockout which took off the 20g from stock.

Hope you enjoy the Stock stuff whilst you get your touch back. I'm learning the ropes in Stock as I said earlier. I'm waiting on a lighter ESC which I'll wire up with 14awg a CF chassis and ti turnbuckles and that'll be all the lightening I'll do. Should get me down to 1680 I'm guessing. So with a slightly heavier car my FDR might be a little lower. I've also have a fan coming. If I can get down to to 5.2 and keep it well below 60c I'll be stoked. Looks like you have hit a sweet spot.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, could you post on the K2 thread perhaps why I should have looser belts for stock. It's my first belt drive so am unfamiliar.

Anyways good luck with your driving & racing going forward and I'll post my results after the meet tomorrow in regards to FDR and temperatures. If anyone is interested too. Once I hear back from all the relevant forums I'll post the current 4wd kit stock weights on the Off-road forum so keep your eyes out for that. I've got back about half the models so far.
Volition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:56 PM
  #56  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,102
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

What is stock timing on these cans?
bohdi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 AM
  #57  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (102)
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,377
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

20 i think.they are true timing settings now
20 SMOKE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:17 PM
  #58  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Babylon, NY
Posts: 150
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default RPM or not?

Which would be the appropriate 17.5 motor for a 1/10 2wd buggy? The RPM or normal version?
TimmE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM
  #59  
Tech Apprentice
 
Jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
Which would be the appropriate 17.5 motor for a 1/10 2wd buggy? The RPM or normal version?
First, Caveat: I'm a noob. Then: I believe unless on e.g. high speed carpet the normal/torque would be the best choice.
Jorgen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 PM
  #60  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 101
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
Which would be the appropriate 17.5 motor for a 1/10 2wd buggy? The RPM or normal version?
normal
cjmurph is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service