Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree96Likes

iCharger 406 DUO Charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You all can just make your own discharger for under 20.00 or maybe free and do your hair while discharging

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=hair+dryer
Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

You guys are gonna hurt somebody. s*** happens
But since everyone needs that one tenth advantage charge your stuff away from people and in a good lipo sack
Old 05-28-2016, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Slashn77
But since everyone needs that one tenth advantage charge your stuff away from people and in a good lipo sack

I agree, If you make 1 mistake in a 5 minute race you lost all advantage. It's all about driving. My son charges at 8 amp and discharges at 10 amps at the end of day to storage level and wins the A main almost every week. It's all about the least mistakes.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slashn77
Just to keep things straight: Discharging at 40A is not dangerous at all (if you don't discharge too low) and will also not harm the battery. Charging at 40A on the other hand... is at least potentially dangerous, and potentially harmful to the battery in the long run.

Both is quite unnecessary for beginners or people who don't drive very consistent lap times.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Without a resistor bank around 10 amps seems to be the max my 406 will discharge. Today several guys told me you can program the icharger to go up to around 17-20amps without a resistor bank. We were racing so there was 't time to start an icharger class.

Does abyone know how? I know the menu system really well, but nothing pushes my 2s orion ultra carbon 4500 to more than 10.78 discharge amps?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Finalist
Without a resistor bank around 10 amps seems to be the max my 406 will discharge. Today several guys told me you can program the icharger to go up to around 17-20amps without a resistor bank. We were racing so there was 't time to start an icharger class.

Does abyone know how? I know the menu system really well, but nothing pushes my 2s orion ultra carbon 4500 to more than 10.78 discharge amps?
If both channels are used together in synchronous mode the internal discharge power rating is 140 Watts. As opposed to the single channel rating of 80W. Perhaps that is what was being discussed.

Another possibility is a 1S pack like used in 1/12 onroad, those can discharge higher since the voltage is lower than a 2S. Conversely 4S would be lower amps.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

I just had a thought about how to force the icharger to discharge higher. I heard this a while back but forgot... Is there a way to make the icharger think my 4500mah pack is actually say a 10,000mah pack or some really high mah number - that may do the trick... But I'm not going to bother. My resistor bank will be here before my next race.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Finalist
I just had a thought about how to force the icharger to discharge higher. I heard this a while back but forgot... Is there a way to make the icharger think my 4500mah pack is actually say a 10,000mah pack or some really high mah number - that may do the trick... But I'm not going to bother. My resistor bank will be here before my next race.
Nope. It has nothing to do with the pack's capacity. As Dave H told you, you are limited to 80W (or 140W in sync mode) internal discharge rate - for more than that you need to have some kind of load (resistors, light bulb, another battery) on the other channel - or use an automotive lead acid car battery as power supply. There is no other way.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW
Nope. It has nothing to do with the pack's capacity. As Dave H told you, you are limited to 80W (or 140W in sync mode) internal discharge rate - for more than that you need to have some kind of load (resistors, light bulb, another battery) on the other channel - or use an automotive lead acid car battery as power supply. There is no other way.
That makes since. I've googled this like crazy and there's not a whisper of being able to "cheat" the discharging.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DirkW
I think a battery on the other channel is an under used method. Instead of using a resistor that dissipates energy and generates a lot of heat that must be dealt with, just use a couple to few old packs in parallel to convert the energy chemically. With little heat.

Then just reuse the energy and pass it back for charging the race pack. Be a hybrid setup in a way. Obviously it would take some management of the charge state of the pack(s) used, but since lipos charge and discharge fairly efficiently it shouldn't be that hard. The charger can monitor it, and easily top it off a little if needed at some point.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Most modern batteries, say right on the package :3C Charge current, some even have higher.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
I think a battery on the other channel is an under used method. Instead of using a resistor that dissipates energy and generates a lot of heat that must be dealt with, just use a couple to few old packs in parallel to convert the energy chemically. With little heat.

Then just reuse the energy and pass it back for charging the race pack. Be a hybrid setup in a way. Obviously it would take some management of the charge state of the pack(s) used, but since lipos charge and discharge fairly efficiently it shouldn't be that hard. The charger can monitor it, and easily top it off a little if needed at some point.
I wouldn't use old packs...charging old lipo's at a high rate can be dangerous. Using the resistor is a much easier setup.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I wouldn't use old packs...charging old lipo's at a high rate can be dangerous. Using the resistor is a much easier setup.
That's probably why he said "in parallel", so that each battery gets a lower charge rate.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Is there a way to charge a receiver pack with just the balance connector?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have question about the icharger and programing the storage program . After i setup a memory for storage and when i use the storage short cut it goes to charge instead of storage and I have move down to storage to make it work. Am I missing something in setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.