Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!! >

Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys,

Just got my XO-1 in the mail yesterday...

I decided to go with this

MA-XO1-Upgrade-Kit MaxAmps upgrade kit for Traxxas XO-1 Supercar
  1. Hyperion EOS0720i Super DUO3 DC Balance Charger
MaxAmps 150c Hard Case LiPo 6500 3-cell 11.1v Pair
MaxAmps.com 24V 47A 1150W Power Supply
Lipo Sack Plus 13" x 18"

Do you think i made a good choice?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I heard there batteries are junk. But the charger is good and the power supply should be fine. Seems like a TON of money though for you to just throw at this hobby though you been doing this for a while? You could do alot better with the batteries and charger setup imo.

EDIT just looked at that upgrade kit, seems like a joke to be honest. Its just a charger and some VERY overpriced batteries. Do you really want a charging setup that hardcore? You can get a charger to charge both batteries for 125$. Unless your into going nuts with this hobby.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Made an expensive choice.....can do better imho.....
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Guys: We're looking for interesting feedback & chat from you all. The input helps us at REVO Singapore.
Questions:
1. When buying a charger what are you looking for?
eg Price/Power/S count/simplicity/Display. What are the main attributes you are looking for?
2. For batteries. If price was not an issue (that is you could pick up batteries in AUS RC shop for the same you could at HKing....what attributes are you looking for then? Performance/Warantee/Support/Artwork/Specs?

thankyou for your time
Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
dtr
Tech Master

RevoJohn:
Charger:
Performance - It has to be powerful enough to charge batteries between heats.
Quality - hate the hassle of sending it back for service, especially if it is not ready before the next race, so local support is important as well.
Precision - preferrably within a few mV, and easy calibration.
Multiple independent battery support - for those running more categories it is easier to transport one slightly bigger charger then individual charger for all packs. A drawback of parallel charging is that the charger cannot give information on individual packs.
Setup - override possibilty for all automatically set parameters, such as charge and discharge voltage, current, shutdown temperature, etc.

Battery:
Performance - it has to complete the heats with enough safety margin. For this purpose we need precise specs together with real world test data, not meaningless C numbers. Within the set performance the lighter the better, so smaller capacity packs should be lighter.
Connectors - I would love having both 5.5mm and 4mm female bullets integrated, so high currents are not a problem and anti-spark sidewires can also be used.
Warranty - tough one, it would be nice, probably needs some internal logging circuitry.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dtr
RevoJohn:
Charger:
Performance - It has to be powerful enough to charge batteries between heats.
Quality - hate the hassle of sending it back for service, especially if it is not ready before the next race, so local support is important as well.
Precision - preferrably within a few mV, and easy calibration.
Multiple independent battery support - for those running more categories it is easier to transport one slightly bigger charger then individual charger for all packs. A drawback of parallel charging is that the charger cannot give information on individual packs.
Setup - override possibilty for all automatically set parameters, such as charge and discharge voltage, current, shutdown temperature, etc.

Battery:
Performance - it has to complete the heats with enough safety margin. For this purpose we need precise specs together with real world test data, not meaningless C numbers. Within the set performance the lighter the better, so smaller capacity packs should be lighter.
Connectors - I would love having both 5.5mm and 4mm female bullets integrated, so high currents are not a problem and anti-spark sidewires can also be used.
Warranty - tough one, it would be nice, probably needs some internal logging circuitry.
nice feedback tks................we're developing a 1500 field charger and PS all in 1 tough carry case
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Hey John,

The Powerlab series are already top notch in terms of hardware performance but I think you'll have a winner if you can make the software part more idiot friendly. When I buy a new charger, the user interface is of #2 importance. The touch screen interface from Team Orion's new Advantage Touch is very nice!

Originally Posted by REVOJohn
Guys: We're looking for interesting feedback & chat from you all. The input helps us at REVO Singapore.
Questions:
1. When buying a charger what are you looking for?
eg Price/Power/S count/simplicity/Display. What are the main attributes you are looking for?
2. For batteries. If price was not an issue (that is you could pick up batteries in AUS RC shop for the same you could at HKing....what attributes are you looking for then? Performance/Warantee/Support/Artwork/Specs?

thankyou for your time
Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hotseat
Hey John,

The Powerlab series are already top notch in terms of hardware performance but I think you'll have a winner if you can make the software part more idiot friendly. When I buy a new charger, the user interface is of #2 importance. The touch screen interface from Team Orion's new Advantage Touch is very nice!
tks for the feedback
Yah we'll looking into a bigger screen now and new IC chips with more memory so that it'll be smarter and even more autonomous..................still workn behind the scenes boys
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Initiate

I added a bigger screen to mine, pretty sweet