Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!! >

Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!!

Pretend for the most part I dont have a budget, although cheaper is 1000000% better! I would love to keep the total cost at no more than 300$, but if I need to spend 500$ then well shoot me in the foot I guess thats what I gotta do lol. Hell we love overkill, right?!

Here is my main criteria and what I'm looking at so far. If there is anything else I need to be looking at or concerned with or whatever, LET ME KNOW!

-Charging 2-6s lipo, 6000+mah, 65c+ batteries.
-Needs to charge at least 2 batteries simultaneously, but a 4 port charger would be AWESOME if deemed worthy.
-I want it to charge the batteries fast as possible. If I can charge a 6000mah 3s lipo in 15 minutes, I'm sold. If I'm being unrealistic tell me lol

I'm looking at a bunch of chargers online and I'm leaning towards a hyperion EOS 0720i http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-7S-20A-500W
The Thunderpower TP820CD is great as well. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ger-w-Balancer

These 2 appear to be the cream of the crop.

I would love to rock the hitec X4 charger though, if it will get the job done
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ger-6S-50W-x-4

Now the power supply. What level of power supply am I looking at to achieve these goals? Is this enough or not enough of a powersupply for what I'm trying to achieve: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-138V-40A-520W

Is the power supply really a weak point in here?

So help me out! I would love to use the 4 port charger but if the 2 port chargers I listed are where I need to be then so be it. Also, if these are WAY over what I'm looking to do, then recommend me something that will get the job done. I would love to keep money in my pocket!

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To charge a 6000mah sized pack in 15 minutes requires a charger with a 24 amp output

24 amps @ 6s requires 605 watts

Forget silly multiport chargers and just get a single port high powered unit and a parallel charging setup that will allow you to do multiple packs at once

Grab a PL6 from Revolectrix

http://www.revolectrix.com/pl6_description_tab.htm

Parallel board

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...MPA_2/MPA-XH_2

Something like that Amain power supply will get you close allthough to access the chargers full output will require something substantially larger

Cheers
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

The Hitec will let you charge a 6S at a whopping 1.9A. Forget that one. The EOS you mentioned would be the one to go with along with the 40A power supply.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

People talk about how powerful their chargers are putting out 20 amps. Not that great IMO. Now, I'm a Cellpro fanboy, so... The PowerLab 8 puts out 40 amps. I charge 2 - 4 packs at once. If you buy a Powerlab 8 and their MPA board you're set for up to 6 packs in parallel at once. My power supply is constructed from 2 server powersupplies. I can run 2 PowerLab 8s at once at full power. It is my "Dream" setup, and rocks. Good luck with your quest. Here's a pic...

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Looks like we're on the same page at the same time.

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
To charge a 6000mah sized pack in 15 minutes requires a charger with a 24 amp output

Forget silly multiport chargers and just get a single port high powered unit and a parallel charging setup that will allow you to do multiple packs at once

Parallel board

Something like that Amain power supply will get you close allthough to access the chargers full output will require something substantially larger

Cheers
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Adept

All those quad chargers do max 50W per port, so it'll take an hour or so per battery.

I have the Hyperion EOS Super Duo 3 720i and it is badass! I paid $248 I think from CKRC which seemed to be the best deal I could find. I bought 2 DELL 550w 12v power supplies that are quite small (in comparison to some other larger server supplies) and with the two of them together at 1100w ran in series for 24V, it gives the Hyperion exactly what it wants to charge 500w per port.

Last edited by J.Whiting; 01-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm with crusey on the pl6 and balance board but for power supply grab one of these. or make your own.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565342
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AgroAMG
All those quad chargers do max 50W per port, so it'll take an hour or so per battery.

I have the Hyperion EOS Super Duo 3 720i and it is badass! I paid $248 I think from CKRC which seemed to be the best deal I could find. I bought 2 DELL 550w 12v power supplies that are quite small (in comparison to some other larger server supplies) and with the two of them together at 1100w ran in series for 24V, it gives the Hyperion exactly what it wants to charge 500w per port.
This sounds like what I'm shooting for!

I'm moving away from that 4 port.. Basically what everyone is saying is what I was thinking would happen with that charger.

The hyperion with a sweet PSU seems to be the ticket for sure. What dell 550w power supplys did you use?

I was thinking of building a sweet PSU for the house and getting a cheaper one for the track when traveling.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Regular

Ok so I am going with the Hyperion, which it seems to be the best way to go.. What power supply should I purchase or build to make it work the way I want? Is the one I listed up to par? I see its not 24volts how will effect my charging?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by crusey_aus

Parallel board

Cheers

That looks like a sweet option as well, and a bit cheaper than the hyperion to boot it appears. I really dont want to spend to much more money on the power supply unless I really need to.

My main reason I'm looking at this charger upgrade also is because I'm getting a Traxxas XO-1 from my kick ass girl for christmas (bit late, but whatever!) and will be running some serious 3s and 4s batteries so I want a charger that can charge them quickly and properly.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You should think about what you are trying to accomplish with a dual output charger. They are a bit nicer to deal with while on your bench (less wires, etc) but something like the Hyperion 720i is big. Takes up a lot of space in your pit bag. The Junsi 306b 1000w charges are twice as powerful as the Hyperion 720i, even at 12v, while taking up about half the space in the pit bag. Two Junsi chargers are pretty close to what the Hyperion 720i cost.

Dual output chargers also have the down side of a single input pad for both channels, and in the case of the TP a single LCD.

BTW, as others have suggested, build your own PS out of server units. Way cheaper than any RC labeled PSU.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kcobra
You should think about what you are trying to accomplish with a dual output charger. They are a bit nicer to deal with while on your bench (less wires, etc) but something like the Hyperion 720i is big. Takes up a lot of space in your pit bag. The Junsi 306b 1000w charges are twice as powerful as the Hyperion 720i, even at 12v, while taking up about half the space in the pit bag. Two Junsi chargers are pretty close to what the Hyperion 720i cost.

Dual output chargers also have the down side of a single input pad for both channels, and in the case of the TP a single LCD.

BTW, as others have suggested, build your own PS out of server units. Way cheaper than any RC labeled PSU.
My main goal is being capable of charging two batteries 3s 5-6000mah in about 20 minutes. I'm looking at tons of options right now. Talking to.peope.at my local track as well and seeing what they have. I will figure this out soon
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

Can someone explain how the parrallel charging works with the cellpro chargers? I'm looking into this more and more... The cellpro seems to be badass, also the footprint seems nice and small which I like. I'm going to be running the same battery so I could charge 2, 3, or 4 simultaneously.

Also, besides the help with parallel charging, how does one determine the amount of power needed to charge a battery in a certain time frame? Like how can I calculate what is needed for a 2s 5300mah 70c battery?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna pull the trigger really soon!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

No different to any other charger in theory

They offer 2 safe parallel setups where they use polyfuses as a safety item when connecting packs at a different discharge state (voltage)

1. Daisy chained balance boards, you connect a pack to each

2. New MPA Parallel adapter board

Both are explained on their website

Cheers
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

I've got the Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 60. The best in Europe with german quality.
You can also attach tire warmer to it.
Expensive but well equipped and top acuraccy.

Ultra Duo Plus 60

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.