Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!! >

Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me pick out my dream charger and power supply setup!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I use the icharger 3010B with external power supply myself, love it and sells at epbudy.

If you want to read more about chargers, balancingboards, connectors and paraboards, try this link.

Good luck
Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tom2tone
Hey Guys! Not to jump off topic but I've got a Icharger 208b that is not working well anymore. It's got the Amain sticker on it and because its out of warranty they cannot fix it. Anyways I'm also looking for a new charger and read some good things on here!!!

My power supply is this:

http://www.helifreak.com/blog.php?b=955

Would I be able to run the thunder power TP820CD with my power supply? I need to be able to charge up to 6s and preferably up to max of 15 amps.

Thanks and sorry to jump on here...Frankie, I definitely want to see a pic of your set-up when your done
Yes it will run it, but not to full power. That sweet charger requires a 27V power supply for the full 800 watt output. There is a chart on the next to last page of the manual that gives approximate charge power for various input/power supply voltages. Looks like that 13.8V supply would allow around 280 watts using just one port, or about 460W for both ports combined.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/docum...V3.5Merged.pdf

Also note when using both ports the power supply limit comes into play once the power the charger itself consumes is considered. (aka charger inefficiency, claimed to be 85~93%) I wouldn’t expect the power supply to run reliably at full power for long periods, as most are rated for peak, not continuous power.

A single 6S charging at 15 amps requires some 378 watts. (6S * 4.2 V/cell * 15A = 378W) Based on the chart the maximum this combo can do is around 11A on a single, perhaps not quite 9A each running both ports. Of course smaller cell count batteries reduce the power requirements and would allow higher amp charge rates and/or two at a time.

The connectors shouldn’t be an issue, believe they are both standard 4mm bullets.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Yes it will run it, but not to full power. That sweet charger requires a 27V power supply for the full 800 watt output. There is a chart on the next to last page of the manual that gives approximate charge power for various input/power supply voltages. Looks like that 13.8V supply would allow around 280 watts using just one port, or about 460W for both ports combined.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/docum...V3.5Merged.pdf

Also note when using both ports the power supply limit comes into play once the power the charger itself consumes is considered. (aka charger inefficiency, claimed to be 85~93%) I wouldn’t expect the power supply to run reliably at full power for long periods, as most are rated for peak, not continuous power.

A single 6S charging at 15 amps requires some 378 watts. (6S * 4.2 V/cell * 15A = 378W) Based on the chart the maximum this combo can do is around 11A on a single, perhaps not quite 9A each running both ports. Of course smaller cell count batteries reduce the power requirements and would allow higher amp charge rates and/or two at a time.

The connectors shouldn’t be an issue, believe they are both standard 4mm bullets.

Thanks for the info!

So in other words that charger is to powerful for my power supply. I will also be charging 2s as well. I just want something comparable to my old charger (208b) and not have to buy another power supply. My old charger was rated at 20a and I never charge that high.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tom2tone
Thanks for the info!

So in other words that charger is to powerful for my power supply. I will also be charging 2s as well. I just want something comparable to my old charger (208b) and not have to buy another power supply. My old charger was rated at 20a and I never charge that high.
Yes, the charger is bigger than the supply, but that’s a common situation these days. All of the big boy chargers require substantial 24V (or higher) power supplies. Which aren’t readily available without either big bucks, or using server supplies in series and compromising standard grounding and safety practices.

Just be aware of the limits. The charger can be programmed to prevent getting carried away. (Input Current Max)
Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Here are some power supplies that might work for you. I've only ordered once from here and the box just came today so take it for what it's worth.

The first Mean Well should be enough power for you with being toooo expensive.
http://www.progressiverc.com/power-supplies?limit=all

Hope this helps
Mark
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just ordered up my dream setup today!!!

FMA Powerlab 6 Mean Well SE-1000-24 1000W 24V DC 41.6A Power Supply All the cables and a couple para boards

Now I'm trying to make sure I am calculating this right. If I am charging 4 4s 5000mah packs parallel it would be:

4s 20000mah 1c/20amp or 2c/40amp

4s pack 20amps x 16.8 = 336watts

This right? Just making sure I am thinking right and will have enough juice. Not sure on how long this charge would take?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mark in wi
Here are some power supplies that might work for you. I've only ordered once from here and the box just came today so take it for what it's worth.

The first Mean Well should be enough power for you with being toooo expensive.
http://www.progressiverc.com/power-supplies?limit=all

Hope this helps
Mark
If I may add, something to consider when choosing a supply in the kW range is Power Factor Correction (PFC, also called APFC, possibly phase correction or control).

Without PFC the supply requires more current/amperage to provide the same real power. This can become an issue with large supplies, both on typical AC circuits and on generators commonly used at many outdoor tracks.

For example, the SE-1000 model does not have PFC, and requires 17.5A for full power.

The RSP-1000 model does have PFC, and in comparison requires 12A for full tilt.

The higher current can be an issue with either a 15A AC circuit (or larger even, other equipment, we frequently share circuits, etc) or with a generator like the popular Honda EU2000i (rated for 13.3A continuous).

On the good side, as far as I know most all server supplies have PFC. (as current driven heat has always been a big issue in large computer and server installations)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cmjomaha

FMA Powerlab 6 Mean Well SE-1000-24 1000W 24V DC 41.6A Power Supply All the cables and a couple para boards

Now I'm trying to make sure I am calculating this right. If I am charging 4 4s 5000mah packs parallel it would be:

This right? Just making sure I am thinking right and will have enough juice. Not sure on how long this charge would take?
You math looks fine to me. Assuming the 1C case (20A/336W) its still up to around an hour give or take depending on how far they were discharged.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

hey guys, just thinking out aloud from the factory side of things.
Would a Dual independent channel PS be cool for you guys
That is Dual 12V 600W each channel and you can series them up when you need to go to 24V and get 1200W or you pefer a base 24V only?

Give yuo the flexibility to run 12V and 24V pieces of equipment at home.

Feedback welcome
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sounds great. What price?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jwmustang
Sounds great. What price?
No idea yet....but gathering info on what you guys need first. then we'll get to the drawing board.......<$150 I'd say easily
Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Here's an action shot of my new MPA

Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

wow cool set-up......

1. get rid of the lipo bag......
a. it won;t do a thing if a battery burns anyway

2. You have active inteli-charge system on PwerLab so it'll never blow up a batt
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

If I may add, something to consider when choosing a supply in the kW range is Power Factor Correction (PFC, also called APFC, possibly phase correction or control).

Without PFC the supply requires more current/amperage to provide the same real power. This can become an issue with large supplies, both on typical AC circuits and on generators commonly used at many outdoor tracks.

For example, the SE-1000 model does not have PFC, and requires 17.5A for full power.

The RSP-1000 model does have PFC, and in comparison requires 12A for full tilt.

The higher current can be an issue with either a 15A AC circuit (or larger even, other equipment, we frequently share circuits, etc) or with a generator like the popular Honda EU2000i (rated for 13.3A continuous).

On the good side, as far as I know most all server supplies have PFC. (as current driven heat has always been a big issue in large computer and server installations)
Good to know. I don't know if I would have thought about that. I am no where near those power numbers but it something to think about for the future.
Thanks
Mark
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cmjomaha

You math looks fine to me. Assuming the 1C case (20A/336W) its still up to around an hour give or take depending on how far they were discharged.
So.... I should be ok with a 2c charge:

4s pack 40amps x 16.8 = 672watts

and get the charge time down closer to 30 minutes...

Thanks again for your help.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.