Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems! >

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey guys, i asked this question in the offroad thread, but its probably more relevant in onroad, so here t goes:

Can I get some honest opinions on viper motors? I'm looking at getting something very low turn (3.5 or 4.5). How do they perform when they get hot, and how do the respond to gearing. I'll be using it in a dirt oval car, so the application is like off-onroad lol

I ask because I have not been very happy with ballistic motors, because they heat fade very badly among other things. Ive been pretty impressed with the viper stuff, so id like to use their motors.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annonymous
Hey guys, i asked this question in the offroad thread, but its probably more relevant in onroad, so here t goes:

Can I get some honest opinions on viper motors? I'm looking at getting something very low turn (3.5 or 4.5). How do they perform when they get hot, and how do the respond to gearing. I'll be using it in a dirt oval car, so the application is like off-onroad lol

I ask because I have not been very happy with ballistic motors, because they heat fade very badly among other things. Ive been pretty impressed with the viper stuff, so id like to use their motors.

Thanks!
the viper motors would be well suited to your application.....i have tried one in onroad and they do have some torque...was only using a 17.5 though......will be trying again this weekend with the recommended rotor for my application....i would suggest you gear a little less for your first run...and run a fan to be on the safe side especially if you are using boosted software
Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Addict

@blade072 - it's a Sunon fan, not viper.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annonymous

Thanks!
We have been very happy with the low turn modified motors in onroad applications. Our higher turn motors are known to be a torquey motor and require taller gearing, but once you get to 5.5t and below they like a very similar gear to a LRP or SP equivalent wind. They don't like to push 200*, or you may begin to melt things. Try to keep them below 180* on a run to run basis, which usually isn't too difficult. Usually 160* for a low wind mod motor is the average.

The 2.5-6.5t include the 12.3mm rotor, we have been switching to the 12.0mm in 4.5 and 3.5t to smooth out the bottom of the powerband, yet it still retains a ton of torque. I finished 6th at carpet nats this year in mod tc, my power system was top notch running the VST 4.5 and 12.0mm rotor. It's equally as strong with the 12.3mm, if not stronger.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

@ mini-dub + blade072 Thanks for the Info!

mini-dub - i appreciate the info about the rotors. i will definitely look at having both (though the 12.3mm may be be better in my application, being that the cars are heavier, but who knows..... )
Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Any news on the VTX1 development?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Ooj
Tech Regular

The ESC's and motors seem very interesting and I am considering buying a few systems to try out for 17.5 non boosted 2WD buggy and 4.5T+ onroad touring. Only I have 2 questions for for Mini-Dub though.

Can the ESC firmware be updated if Viper release new software?

Is the top speed timing additional timing on top of acceleration boost (thinking in speedpassion/hobbywing mode here)? Meaning that if you chose max advanced timing of 40 in acceleration boost and then chose 40 degrees in top speed timing, you would be running 80 degrees timing at the end of top speed?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Hello,

How well do the speed esc's work in boosted on-road 17.5/13.5?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Any news on the VTX1 development?
We are not focusing too hard on the VTX1's right now due to the seasonal change. Most everything is moving outdoors and the demand to get our 1/8 equipment and helicopter equipment to the market is much higher. We have revised the VTX1 processor board and are ready to do more testing but there are higher priority projects at hand right now. Can only work on so many things at once!

Originally Posted by Ooj
The ESC's and motors seem very interesting and I am considering buying a few systems to try out for 17.5 non boosted 2WD buggy and 4.5T+ onroad touring. Only I have 2 questions for for Mini-Dub though.

Can the ESC firmware be updated if Viper release new software?

Is the top speed timing additional timing on top of acceleration boost (thinking in speedpassion/hobbywing mode here)? Meaning that if you chose max advanced timing of 40 in acceleration boost and then chose 40 degrees in top speed timing, you would be running 80 degrees timing at the end of top speed?
Yes we have a PC Link to perform firmware updates when we need to release new software.

The top speed timing and acceleration boost are mostly separate in terms of the amount of timing. Say you have 30* motor timing, 30* acceleration boost, and 30* top speed timing. The max timing the system will ever be operating with is 60* = (motor timing + acc boost), (motor timing + top
speed timing).

Originally Posted by Paul Ohlsen
Hello,

How well do the speed esc's work in boosted on-road 17.5/13.5?

Thanks,

Paul
The boost system works very well. The main challenge right now is in finding the optimum tuning setup for your track size and conditions. We're working hard on developing a good setup for large/flowy onroad tracks where the motor spends most its time in the high rpm ranges.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mini-dub
We are not focusing too hard on the VTX1's right now due to the seasonal change. Most everything is moving outdoors and the demand to get our 1/8 equipment and helicopter equipment to the market is much higher. We have revised the VTX1 processor board and are ready to do more testing but there are higher priority projects at hand right now. Can only work on so many things at once!
Darn...was hoping to have one in time to get used to it and run it at the IIC so I could decide if I want to stick with my Tekins and a booster or switch to an ESC that doesn't need a booster.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Ooj
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mini-dub
Yes we have a PC Link to perform firmware updates when we need to release new software.
Does the PC link cable come with the Pro Gauge or is this something in the works that we can purchase at a later date?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

The PC Link you buy separately from the gauge or the ESC.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

just a quick one....i hooked up a fun via wiriing to the + and - posts on the esc and it doesnt work.....i assume i have to connect to the fan port of the esc???
also thanks weylin for the settings will try sunday...
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Blade072 - it has to work since the energy of the batery comes directly trough there. I would bet you have a wrecked fan. Try it directly to a batery for testing.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

just found out a wire had come off the fan its self. all good now.

Last edited by blade072; 05-27-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.