R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #451
Tech Regular
 
annonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 498
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, i asked this question in the offroad thread, but its probably more relevant in onroad, so here t goes:

Can I get some honest opinions on viper motors? I'm looking at getting something very low turn (3.5 or 4.5). How do they perform when they get hot, and how do the respond to gearing. I'll be using it in a dirt oval car, so the application is like off-onroad lol

I ask because I have not been very happy with ballistic motors, because they heat fade very badly among other things. Ive been pretty impressed with the viper stuff, so id like to use their motors.

Thanks!
__________________
I drive faster on the bench...

Orion - Futaba - Savox - RCAmerica
annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #452
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous View Post
Hey guys, i asked this question in the offroad thread, but its probably more relevant in onroad, so here t goes:

Can I get some honest opinions on viper motors? I'm looking at getting something very low turn (3.5 or 4.5). How do they perform when they get hot, and how do the respond to gearing. I'll be using it in a dirt oval car, so the application is like off-onroad lol

I ask because I have not been very happy with ballistic motors, because they heat fade very badly among other things. Ive been pretty impressed with the viper stuff, so id like to use their motors.

Thanks!
the viper motors would be well suited to your application.....i have tried one in onroad and they do have some torque...was only using a 17.5 though......will be trying again this weekend with the recommended rotor for my application....i would suggest you gear a little less for your first run...and run a fan to be on the safe side especially if you are using boosted software
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #453
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 547
Default

@blade072 - it's a Sunon fan, not viper.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #454
Tech Master
 
mini-dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: seattle
Posts: 1,632
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous View Post
Hey guys, i asked this question in the offroad thread, but its probably more relevant in onroad, so here t goes:

Can I get some honest opinions on viper motors? I'm looking at getting something very low turn (3.5 or 4.5). How do they perform when they get hot, and how do the respond to gearing. I'll be using it in a dirt oval car, so the application is like off-onroad lol

I ask because I have not been very happy with ballistic motors, because they heat fade very badly among other things. Ive been pretty impressed with the viper stuff, so id like to use their motors.

Thanks!
We have been very happy with the low turn modified motors in onroad applications. Our higher turn motors are known to be a torquey motor and require taller gearing, but once you get to 5.5t and below they like a very similar gear to a LRP or SP equivalent wind. They don't like to push 200*, or you may begin to melt things. Try to keep them below 180* on a run to run basis, which usually isn't too difficult. Usually 160* for a low wind mod motor is the average.

The 2.5-6.5t include the 12.3mm rotor, we have been switching to the 12.0mm in 4.5 and 3.5t to smooth out the bottom of the powerband, yet it still retains a ton of torque. I finished 6th at carpet nats this year in mod tc, my power system was top notch running the VST 4.5 and 12.0mm rotor. It's equally as strong with the 12.3mm, if not stronger.
__________________
Weylin Rose - www.shiftedcinema.com

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #455
Tech Regular
 
annonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 498
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

@ mini-dub + blade072 Thanks for the Info!

mini-dub - i appreciate the info about the rotors. i will definitely look at having both (though the 12.3mm may be be better in my application, being that the cars are heavier, but who knows..... )
__________________
I drive faster on the bench...

Orion - Futaba - Savox - RCAmerica
annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #456
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Any news on the VTX1 development?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #457
Ooj
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 329
Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj
Default

The ESC's and motors seem very interesting and I am considering buying a few systems to try out for 17.5 non boosted 2WD buggy and 4.5T+ onroad touring. Only I have 2 questions for for Mini-Dub though.

Can the ESC firmware be updated if Viper release new software?

Is the top speed timing additional timing on top of acceleration boost (thinking in speedpassion/hobbywing mode here)? Meaning that if you chose max advanced timing of 40 in acceleration boost and then chose 40 degrees in top speed timing, you would be running 80 degrees timing at the end of top speed?
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #458
Tech Regular
 
Paul Ohlsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 302
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Ohlsen
Default

Hello,

How well do the speed esc's work in boosted on-road 17.5/13.5?

Thanks,

Paul
__________________
Viper R/C Solutions | Team ARC USA | Express Motorsports | Xpert USA | Max.FX |Blitz / Team Titan | Hiro Seiko

Maxim 39-There is a difference between spare parts and extra [parts]. From The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
Paul Ohlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #459
Tech Master
 
mini-dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: seattle
Posts: 1,632
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Any news on the VTX1 development?
We are not focusing too hard on the VTX1's right now due to the seasonal change. Most everything is moving outdoors and the demand to get our 1/8 equipment and helicopter equipment to the market is much higher. We have revised the VTX1 processor board and are ready to do more testing but there are higher priority projects at hand right now. Can only work on so many things at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooj View Post
The ESC's and motors seem very interesting and I am considering buying a few systems to try out for 17.5 non boosted 2WD buggy and 4.5T+ onroad touring. Only I have 2 questions for for Mini-Dub though.

Can the ESC firmware be updated if Viper release new software?

Is the top speed timing additional timing on top of acceleration boost (thinking in speedpassion/hobbywing mode here)? Meaning that if you chose max advanced timing of 40 in acceleration boost and then chose 40 degrees in top speed timing, you would be running 80 degrees timing at the end of top speed?
Yes we have a PC Link to perform firmware updates when we need to release new software.

The top speed timing and acceleration boost are mostly separate in terms of the amount of timing. Say you have 30* motor timing, 30* acceleration boost, and 30* top speed timing. The max timing the system will ever be operating with is 60* = (motor timing + acc boost), (motor timing + top
speed timing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ohlsen View Post
Hello,

How well do the speed esc's work in boosted on-road 17.5/13.5?

Thanks,

Paul
The boost system works very well. The main challenge right now is in finding the optimum tuning setup for your track size and conditions. We're working hard on developing a good setup for large/flowy onroad tracks where the motor spends most its time in the high rpm ranges.
__________________
Weylin Rose - www.shiftedcinema.com

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #460
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-dub View Post
We are not focusing too hard on the VTX1's right now due to the seasonal change. Most everything is moving outdoors and the demand to get our 1/8 equipment and helicopter equipment to the market is much higher. We have revised the VTX1 processor board and are ready to do more testing but there are higher priority projects at hand right now. Can only work on so many things at once!
Darn...was hoping to have one in time to get used to it and run it at the IIC so I could decide if I want to stick with my Tekins and a booster or switch to an ESC that doesn't need a booster.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #461
Ooj
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 329
Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-dub View Post
Yes we have a PC Link to perform firmware updates when we need to release new software.
Does the PC link cable come with the Pro Gauge or is this something in the works that we can purchase at a later date?
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 AM   #462
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 547
Default

The PC Link you buy separately from the gauge or the ESC.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #463
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

just a quick one....i hooked up a fun via wiriing to the + and - posts on the esc and it doesnt work.....i assume i have to connect to the fan port of the esc???
also thanks weylin for the settings will try sunday...
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #464
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 547
Default

Blade072 - it has to work since the energy of the batery comes directly trough there. I would bet you have a wrecked fan. Try it directly to a batery for testing.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #465
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

just found out a wire had come off the fan its self. all good now.
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★

Last edited by blade072; 05-27-2011 at 11:48 PM.
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Viper RC - mini-dub Radio and Electronics 12069 12-04-2017 10:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:37 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net