Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) >

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Like Tree22Likes

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Old 08-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
While wick and desoldering guns can work, they are inefficient and donít remove he as much as dropping the component.
Magen you drop something you face the section down so that when it impacts, the solder slides down and away from the contacts. You can also hold the part and slam your arm down to better control the direction the solder slide off in.

As for wire... when it comes to RC or high end applications, flexibility is paramount so once solder makes its way too far inside the wire, it will NEVER flex properly again and will forever have increased resistance so therefore it is pointless to try and remove solder. Itís best to just cut a new piece and strip a minimal amount of insulation
and tin MINIMALLY as per my instructions in previous pages.

I'll just agree to disagree with you and leave it at that. What you say is true about the wire, but I wasn't speaking to the flexibility. That said, if your removing solder from the wire, there is less of a chance that solder will wick further inside the insulation, at least not enough to make a measurable impact on flexibility. Again it depends on quality of tools and the skill level of those operating said tools.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can disagree all you like but if you try both I can guarantee you the drop method will prove superior every time.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

You can disagree all you like but if you try both I can guarantee you the drop method will prove superior every time.
Maybe so, maybe so. I've been doing this for over 20 years though, and I have yet to see anyone take this approach, even early in my career, even before that in my much earlier hobby years. Guess I just hang out with the wrong people lol. No lie though, not once, not ever.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I will admit to using a method like the drop method mentioned. Usually when not at a bench and not having wick with me.

Such a method does remove most of the solder very quickly though.

Solder wick works very well when the amount of solder is fairly small. Large amounts saturate the wick, and you have to move to a fresh section of the wick.

Wick also needs fresh liquid flux applied before use. The small amount of flux already in the wick is usually old and dry by the time you go to use it. Fresh solder makes wick work very very well.

Desolder guns... They work ok. They can remove larger amounts than wick, and more quickly.

But a heated desolder tool is best, and better still when equiped with a button controlled vacuum pump.

So long as you haven't globbed on a ton of solder, wick with fresh flux is a good method.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

I have more respect for my electronic equipment than to drop it on the floor when a simple flick of the wrist will do the same job.

Or maybe I just don't have as much money available to replace stuff I've broken on the floor.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I have more respect for my electronic equipment than to drop it on the floor when a simple flick of the wrist will do the same job.

Or maybe I just don't have as much money available to replace stuff I've broken on the floor.
A simple flick does work usually. Dropping onto a surface isn't necessary most of the time.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
But a heated desolder tool is best, and better still when equiped with a button controlled vacuum pump.
Yes, I have this available to me and is a preferred method (to me anyways). I've flicked my share before, but usually just excess off the tip of the iron. Everybody has their own methods though.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

This thread needs to be front and center again as soldering skills are not improving.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLeCt_u3U8

Watch this video. Then watch it again.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLeCt_u3U8

Watch this video. Then watch it again.
Not a bad video. I would use the video to determine what a good joint looks like then read the first post of this thread so you know what equipment and temps to use.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

The method shown in the video for solder cups works. It is plenty fine for most solder needs.

I don't use that method for aerospace though, not considered reliable enough for critical connections.