Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I-Lap Timing system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Did you have problems using the software? How many cars can you run at once. I use a simular version called trackmate and have had good results. Just wondering how you got lapsfree to work? I am having troubles getting it to recognize the signal. LMK
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks Jake, let us know how your first outing goes.

Victory - With I-Lap, there is no limit to the number of cars at once, as the transponders all have unique 7 digit numbers. When it is connected to the computer, the computer can't tell the difference between it and an AMBrc. Some of the softwares limit the cars to 20.

I have had a few Trakmate users contact me in error with problems and I was able to get them going, so I may be able to help you.

Are you using a USB - Serial adapter?

Craig
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Yes it is from Radio Shack serial to usb adaptor. So far i have used the software that comes with the system with good success, but it is limited to what it can do. I wish I had known about I-Lap when we got into this, it would've been better, but oh well live and learn.

What I'd like to do is use Lapsfree. With my software I can not do an IFMAR start or a staggered start. What do you suggest?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Victory-

Go into Device Manager and find your USB adapter under the "Ports" heading.
Double-click it. and select the "Port Settings" tab.

Make the settings:
Bits per second = 9600
Data bits = 8
Parity = None
Stop bits = 2
Flow control = Hardware

If the com port # is higher than 8, you can change that to a lower number by clicking on the "Advanced" button.

All that stuff can be closed now.
Run LapsFree and in the Options/Hardware select AMB System 20(serial) and select your com port.
Close the options dialog.
A box should pop up and go away.
Now go back into options and select "Transponder test"
The system should read transponders now. The clock running on the bottom of that window actually comes from the decoder, so you can verify it is talking if the clock is running.

Try it and let me know how it works out.

Craig
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

We have been racing micros in my store for several years. I started out using a lazer based system. I was OK but did not work with the off-road buggies & trucks due to their increased verticle movement. I found the Trackmate RC20 IR system and purchased that. I used it for a couple years. It was a big improvement over the lazer system, but only had 14 codes available and reprogramming a transponder was a time consuming, hit or miss, proposition.
I was VERY pleased to find Craig (I-Lap). Not only is he much closer (Chicago area vs. western Canada for Trakmate). But his knowledge & customer service is un-matched!
We run with Alycat software, and the 2 go very well together. I-lap transponders have a stronger signal than the Trakmate, and will actually pass through some paint jobs! I don't recomend that however. Missed laps are few, and usually ascociated with either a transponder getting moved out of place, or something else moving in the way of the transponders' emitter. Care in the placement of the transponder prevents any missed laps.
We have had many instances of cars tumbleing under the bridge without losing the lap!
All that for less than I spent on the original lazer system! I wish I had found Craig sooner..
Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Craig,

We will have a race on feb 10th I will PM if how many transponder I will goin to purchased.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

My son and I created the racing program at Strictly RC Hobbyshop, in the NW side of Chicago, almost a year ago. Once I knew the hobbyshop owner was commited to bulding a track for racing I went about trying to find an affordable timing system to run races with. Well, the cost of a used AMB system was pretty much out of the question. I found Craig on the internet at www.rclapcounter.com, and like Duneland was delighted he was nearby. It was THE perfect solution for a new startup track that needed to attract area racers. We chose Alycat also. The main reason was the ability to set up the races and pretty much walk away and let the software take over with it's voice synthesis. This allows the race director to easily be racing at the same time. Another bonus of I-LapRC is the low cost of additional transponders. Many of our regulars own two of them so they don't have to switch them out when they race multiple classes on a race day.

I-LapRC is problem free and just runs well.

So here we are almost a year later, and we now have a very successful racing program both indoor and outdoor.

Without I-LapRC our racing program would never exist as it does today.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

My only question is do amb transponders work with the system?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

No.

AMB transponders will not work with the I-LapRC Timing system.

And vice-a-versa, the I-LapRC transponder will not work the AMB timing system.

AMB and I-LapRC are both race timing hardware systems but they use totally different technologies in their design.

I-LapRC was created as an alternative to the AMB timing system.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Victory - Did you get a chance to try those settings?

Jochim - You can simply order the transponders on our website.

WallStreet - As Kenji stated, the transponders do not interchange, but the I-Lap system is compatible on the PC side. Any software that supports AMB works with this system. The transponders all have unique 7 digit numbers and the PC thinks it is connected to an AMB decoder.

Craig
Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

No not yet. Monday I will give it a try. the weekends are crazy, especially with the game. I will post it first thing Monday afternoon once I'm at the track. Thanks Aaron Benner
Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I've ran the system 4 times now and it has been perfect! It is one of the best things I've purchased for rc, ever! I bought it to use at my track at my house with my bro's and we are all geeked out over it lol! We're using lapsfree right now but was wondering about alycat. What are the differences and benefits as compared to lapsfree, I'm more than happy right now but if it could get better I'm all for it. I'll post some video of my track later on today!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

You can download a free version of alycat to try it out. Free version will lack the database and limit the number of racers in a heat. But gives you an idea of it's benefits.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JakeM
What are the differences and benefits as compared to lapsfree
Alycat calls the races for you if you want that. Essentially set the races up for the day, start the timer and walk away.

Alycat keeps a drivers database which makes races easy to setup.

Alycat is only 249 dollars.

Alycat's product support is great. Mr. Alycat is very responsive.

When you bought I-LapRC it came with a disc. On that disc is a free demo version of RC Scoring Pro. It's essentially a full version of RC Scoring Pro, but is limited to five cars in a race. Try that too...you might like it.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the help. Sorry it took so long to reply, but I got the software to work now I have to figure out how the system works with the software. I found that I can not have nonconsecutive transponder numbers. On track mate we have only 1-14. If there was a 1,2,4,6,9 I had problems with the software assigning the right id number to the right driver. A problem that can be remedied, but I am really wishing I had invested in a different system, either i-lap or amb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.